Tourmaster Jackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at getting one of these jackets and was wondering what your opinions were.I'd appreciate all feedback

cheers

pete
I've had a Tourmaster (Cortech) jacket for several years. It's held up well. They make a good product. Which jacket are you looking at getting?

I'm looking at getting one of these jackets and was wondering what your opinions were.I'd appreciate all feedback

cheers

pete
A good search of this site and others like webbikeworld.com will certainly help. I have been happy with the 2 jackets and 2 pants I have purchased, but have had to repair some stitching that started unraveling on all 4 garments. Had to replace a couple of snaps that pulled apart on one of the jackets, but it had been in service for a couple of seasons and was a cheap fix. They're a decent value for the money spent. IMO you get what you pay for when buying apparel, and riding gear is no different.

David

My riding buddy had a Cortech 3/4 length many years ago. It was a good jacket for very cold temp's until the waterproofing failed after two years. I seem to recall they used a non-breathable polyurethane lining for waterproofing. That's still the case, I'd recommend you look for something else.

I've got 2 mesh jackets, a Cortech HRX and a Tour Master GX Aire. Both are similar in concept: mesh, removable waterproof liner, removable thermal liner. The Cortech is the better jacket with real leather panels and hard shoulder armor, but both are very comfortable. My Cortech held up very well in the two lowsides it's been through, although the second one starting pulling some stitching out on the forearm.

They are a great value, I think the best jackets in their price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm a Tourmaster addict. Virtually all my gear, and my wife's, is Tourmaster. My jackets include the Transition 2, Saber (an XL-sized jacket for winter riding), the Jett and the Draft Air (specifically for summer hot riding). I also have the Caliber pants because they offer it in "Tall" sizes. Riding boots are their Solution WP. as well as our rain gear and probably four different types and styles of riding gloves - from mesh to winter.

The thing about Tourmaster gear is that it fits me great (6' and slender), is CE armored, is a great value and is holding up very well. I had ordered a Transition 2 jacket about a year ago but the supplier was out of them and offered to send me a Fieldsheer Quattro at no additional cost. I hated it. It was too short in the arms and never felt comfortable - like it fit. I ended up giving it to my son who is a tad bit shorter.

Tourmaster? :clapping: FJR? :yahoo: They make for a great combination.

cheers

pete

I have the Tourmaster Intake Jacket and gloves. Best jacket I have ever owned for riding. Has a zip in rain liner and a zip in quilted winter liner. Had the rain liner in for an all day rain ride from Canada to Boise Id. and remained completey dry. Currently have the quilted liner in for the 30's to 40 degree rides here in Boise and it is quite warm. Absolutely love it!

I have all Tourmaster Gear at this time and am happy with it all.

purchased from www.newenough.com

My winter jacket is the 3/4 Epic in high viz

My winter pants are Caliper

My summer jacket is the 3/4 Sonora in high viz

My summer pants is Venture Air Mesh Pants

(both pairs of my boots are SIDI which I've very happy with as well)

My wife doesn't ride with me that often to have lotsa gear

so she has the Transition pants and Transition 2 jacket

It's both cold winter gear and when the zipped on panels are removed, summer mesh gear

hope this helps

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Which one???

We have the transitions. Love them. Lots of pockets, comfort and the jacket will go from 30-80 degrees with comfort.

My wife and I have the Tourmaster/CorTech 3/4 length jackets and no complaints. We have Tourmaster pants, too. For me, the jacket is a second one, although I think our version, then updated from the original, is now out of production.

Our CorTech jackets are good for a wide temperature range of riding. We open all the vents, and, if heat conditions warrant, zip down the main front opening. We never expected them to be waterproof, and, since they aren't, we weren't disappointed. In fact, for many hot seasons, I have foregone buying a mesh jacket, preferring the moisture retention of the regular jackets in the heat. We have "dehydration hot" weather here in the southwest, and water retention is a real concern. After extended rides, I wash the body salts off the jackets in the washing machine according to instructions.

But for really cold weather, I have adopted a Fox Creek Commander leather jacket. Originally, I bought the Fox Creek just because I wanted leather. Fortunately, the leather jacket, with its liner, proved much better than the Cordura nylon for the really cold temps we have in the high country of Arizona. Wifey solves the problem by skipping rides in that kind of cold weather.

My only wish is that Tourmaster would produce a 3/4 jacket in Hi-Viz lime yellow for increased conspicuity. A funny: On a trip down to Mexico, the Federales, at their numerous checkpoints, got a lot of laughs because my jacket and pants were all black. 'Made me want a different color. WBill

My only wish is that Tourmaster would produce a 3/4 jacket in Hi-Viz lime yellow for increased conspicuity. A funny: On a trip down to Mexico, the Federales, at their numerous checkpoints, got a lot of laughs because my jacket and pants were all black. 'Made me want a different color. WBill
"my" Tourmaster Epic

h_ej1_hi_visibility_yellow.jpg

"my" Tourmaster Sonora Air - mesh:

h_snr_hi_visibility_yellow.jpg

they also sell the Tourmaster Transition:

h_kc_hi_visibility_yellow.jpg

I have a Tourmaster Intake and same design Tourmaster pants.

They're a good design and very versatile with their tiered removable liners.

The weak spot I have found with both the jacket and pants, is that the loops that secure the liners are poorly sewn. One of the jackets I looked at on the rack had a loop pulled out. Even the dealer was surprised since the jacket hadn't even been worn.

The pants I have now, have a loop that pulled out. It's only been about a dozen rides since I put the liners in.

It looks like it probably would be easy to resew, I just have to get someone to do it.

Aside from this the jacket and pants combo function well.

Not in the same price range, but after looking at a friend's Aerostitch, they're probably worth the extra money.

I have this one in bright yellow, not this Hi-Vz color.

h_kc_hi_visibility_yellow.jpg

Great protection (seems to be, never been down in one). Warm, fits well, tons of pockect and vents on chest, shoulders, and back, removable liner, comfortable.

Only two draw backs I have are:

1) Neck collar doesn't go up high enough for cold days.

2) Not enough arm vents for cooling when warmer (80º's and above). That being said I don't believe there is a great winter/summer jacket. That's why I have two of them, one for each season in SoCal. ;)

Otherwise it's awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Tour Master Flex series jacket. I like it. It has the total jacket which is the outer waterproof shell then a mesh jacket that zips in and a zip in liner for warm. I wore it in summer just mesh not bad. i wore int in winter all three jackets and its pretty good. No real complaints.