Towing with the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John T - what did your trailer cost?
Anything either of you would do differently with your trailers?
With every option they offered I picked mine up on special for a just a little under $5K delivered, before their price increase. The options on my unit are listed at the bottom of this post.

I would not change anything on my trailer. However, my trailer has a queen & twin size bed. In addition to the FJR pulling it for the wife and I we pull it with our truck when we have her son during the summer. If, it was not for her son camping with us I might have gotten the model one size smaller with only one bed.

A trailer conversation is a lot like the conversation between FJR and Connie owners. For the most part the trailer you own is always the best. At least in the owners mind. With that said, I was within a day or ordering a Leesure-Lite when I talked with a Gold Wing owner that sold his Leesure-Lite and picked up a new camp trailer, I don't remember the unit he purchased. He said the Leesure-Lite was easy to set-up on flat ground, but a bit of effort if the ground was not flat as the lid/floor (lid when closed, floor when open) would bend and twist as it was walked on. In addation, all the gear in the storage area was be on the bed. He would move the gear from the bed to the floor to sleep. So I went back to looking and decided on the unit I have.

I think the Leesure-Lite is a great unit, but did not fit my personal needs. As I live in a area of the U.S. where flat ground in camp ground is rare, very rare. If you are looking into getting a camp trailer you can find some good info over on the www.motocampers.com forum. There is a trailer/camper section.

In the end, I am going to end up with two trailers. The camp trailer, and a cargo trailer to go scuba diving from the FJR.

Aspen Ambassador

13" Chrome Wheel Upgrade, A/C Duct Kit, InBed Caddy, Chrome Fender Edging Kit, Clubhouse, Electric Brakes, Chrome Lightbar, Queen Extension, Rack Pack, 13" Spare Wheel/Tire - Chrome, Sun/Rain Canopy, Top Deck Luggage Rack, Top Deck Runner Kit, Vehicle Plug, Swivel Coupler, 48qt Cooler, & 48qt Cooler Cover.

Edit:

I am not sure this is something different, or just a modification. If you look at the first picture I posted above you will notice the area under the bed is open. I did not like this as I wanted to use this area for storage while camping. I took a auto upholstery class and created a curtain to wrap around both sides under the bed. It created a dead air space and the bed is a little warmer on cold nights and is a good place to store stuff.

The cost to create the was less then $40 and easy to do if you can sew a straight line. Since I had never touched a sewing machine I decided to take the class.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the single-wheel look. The MotoGoodies site has been inactive for over a year, now, sadly. Theirs looked like a really slick product.

Has anyone out there looked into the Third Wheel single-wheel trailer? https://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/index.php/home

It comes with a hitch, all for $2K. They don't give much info about the hitch, but it looks to be attached straight to the rear axle in their Hayabusa photos. It's a very different type of hitch, but they document a 4K mile trip through Mexico with some bad roads, and appeared to have no problems.

Third Wheel site

Might be a cheaper alt. to the Uni-go.

Also, are license plates mandatory for these little trailers?

Chris

Not much help to the original poster, but I bought a Monogo last year for the RSV. Michelle (Mike) is just east of Montreal and was a real pleasure to work with. We spent half a day fabricating the necessary parts for my Venturedad hitch and wiring it all up. This trailer literally disappeared behind my RSV. It weighs about 50-55 pounds; that's TOTAL weight, not tongue weight. In the winter, I pick it up and carry it into the basement.

Downsides? Well, it's certainly no camper. It can hold a surprising amount of gear, given it's size. Photos on the site show it can carry a tent and camping gear for two.The biggest drawback is his location. He will not sell across the border; you have to go to him. Michelle simply isn't big enough (or patient enough) to deal with the DOT or our overly-litigious market.

I paid $1000USD out the door. If you are a Northeaster or a Midwesterner, check it out. I really love it.

Now I have to call him up and see about a hitch and/or mods to the Dauntless for the Feej.

Not much help to the original poster, but I bought a Monogo last year for the RSV. Michelle (Mike) is just east of Montreal and was a real pleasure to work with. We spent half a day fabricating the necessary parts for my Venturedad hitch and wiring it all up. This trailer literally disappeared behind my RSV. It weighs about 50-55 pounds; that's TOTAL weight, not tongue weight. In the winter, I pick it up and carry it into the basement.
Downsides? Well, it's certainly no camper. It can hold a surprising amount of gear, given it's size. Photos on the site show it can carry a tent and camping gear for two.The biggest drawback is his location. He will not sell across the border; you have to go to him. Michelle simply isn't big enough (or patient enough) to deal with the DOT or our overly-litigious market.

I paid $1000USD out the door. If you are a Northeaster or a Midwesterner, check it out. I really love it.

Now I have to call him up and see about a hitch and/or mods to the Dauntless for the Feej.
Curtis, funny you should mention Michel and Monogo, I just got a response from him telling me what you said about not selling outside of Canada. Sure is a great price though. Almost worth a cross country trip ... almost. And right, he seems like a pretty amiable fellow.

And funny someone from "A Squared" should respond to my post. It's just a mere 40 years (shy a few months) since I got married at Delhi park on the shore of the "mighty" Huron river. I imagine it was a little warmer then than it is right now.

Chris

John T - what did your trailer cost?
Anything either of you would do differently with your trailers?
With every option they offered I picked mine up on special for a just a little under $5K delivered, before their price increase. The options on my unit are listed at the bottom of this post.

I would not change anything on my trailer. However, my trailer has a queen & twin size bed. In addition to the FJR pulling it for the wife and I we pull it with our truck when we have her son during the summer. If, it was not for her son camping with us I might have gotten the model one size smaller with only one bed.

A trailer conversation is a lot like the conversation between FJR and Connie owners. For the most part the trailer you own is always the best. At least in the owners mind. With that said, I was within a day or ordering a Leesure-Lite when I talked with a Gold Wing owner that sold his Leesure-Lite and picked up a new camp trailer, I don't remember the unit he purchased. He said the Leesure-Lite was easy to set-up on flat ground, but a bit of effort if the ground was not flat as the lid/floor (lid when closed, floor when open) would bend and twist as it was walked on. In addation, all the gear in the storage area was be on the bed. He would move the gear from the bed to the floor to sleep. So I went back to looking and decided on the unit I have.

I think the Leesure-Lite is a great unit, but did not fit my personal needs. As I live in a area of the U.S. where flat ground in camp ground is rare, very rare. If you are looking into getting a camp trailer you can find some good over on the www.motocampers.com forum. There is a trailer/camper section.

In the end, I am going to end up with two trailers. The camp trailer, and a cargo trailer to go scuba diving from the FJR.

Aspen Ambassador

13" Chrome Wheel Upgrade, A/C Duct Kit, InBed Caddy, Chrome Fender Edging Kit, Clubhouse, Electric Brakes, Chrome Lightbar, Queen Extension, Rack Pack, 13" Spare Wheel/Tire - Chrome, Sun/Rain Canopy, Top Deck Luggage Rack, Top Deck Runner Kit, Vehicle Plug, Swivel Coupler, 48qt Cooler, & 48qt Cooler Cover.

Edit:

I am not sure this is something different, or just a modification. If you look at the first picture I posted above you will notice the area under the bed is open. I did not like this as I wanted to use this area for storage while camping. I took a auto upholstery class and created a curtain to wrap around both sides under the bed. It created a dead air space and the bed is a little warmer on cold nighta and is a good place to store stuff.

The cost to create the was less then $40 and easy to do if you cna sew a straight line. Since I had never touched a sewing machine I decided to take the class.

Thanks JT. I live near Dauntless, so I'm going to stop in their and check out their products too. I have to decide if we want to have the conveinence of a camper trailer or use a cargo trailer and set up a tent. We try to do a 10 day summer trip each year, and wither way I think is a great way to go and will allow us to be a little more free about the route and where we end up each night.

Thanks JT. I live near Dauntless, so I'm going to stop in their and check out their products too. I have to decide if we want to have the convenience of a camper trailer or use a cargo trailer and set up a tent. We try to do a 10 day summer trip each year, and wither way I think is a great way to go and will allow us to be a little more free about the route and where we end up each night.
I spent some time trying to consider a camp or cargo trailer. While the camp trailer could be used for cargo I did not want to pull the large camp trailer when I only wanted the cargo space. In the end the wife was the deciding factor for the camp trailer. However, it worked out out in the end.

I have seen many trailers for sale on eBay and Craigslist for less then $300. Owners who no longer have bikes or upgraded their trailers are getting rid of small cargo trailers. Tripntx got a good deal such as this on his trailer if I remember correctly. I have seen some of these trailers that will stand on end and take up very little space.

Here is my cargo trailer, Works well loaded or empty. I think the price is up $100 sense last year. I have installed a swivel and the hitch is home made and works well but not the best looking. I can put a lot in it for over night camping....Good times :)

https://piggybacker.stehltow.com/

SDC14418.jpg

SDC14420.jpg

antirustbug

That is a nice pic with the bike and trailer. For some reason I thought the piggy back was smaller. With the bike and trailer in the pic it shows how much cargo space it has.

That is a great pic. I think that is the way we are headed for now. IT will let us decide if that is the kind of long distance traveling we want to do or not without getting too much invested. I think we could re-sell and upgrade without losing too much on the piggyback trailer. Or we can take the box off and put a bigger one back on it.

Thanks all for the info. it has been very helpful for me.

Thanks for the compliment. Works great just to use for shopping also. Here are a couple more pics with cooler and off center stand for your enjoyment. thanks

024.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

022.jpg

Thanks for this info. When John T posted his list of trailer site options, I immediately zeroed in to the Monogo as a Uni-Go alternative. I like the one wheeled "utility" trailer idea.

I have 2 car top cargo boxes for vehicles that I already own. This looks like a "possible" third? I wonder(?), if "Mike" won't sell a trailer to a guy south of the Canadian border "if" maybe(?) I could pick one up on a business trip to the Mid West by bumping my flight ticket up to Montreal and flying back with the trailer as checked on luggage (probably a silly idea?).

Or...maybe Mike(?) will be at CFR 2009?