Track Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRKY08

Reaction score
Has anyone done a track day on their FJR. I am going in May. This would be my first Track Day ever!!! Any advice on Bike set up ect.

Advice on bike setup..... Put the rear shock on the firm setting. Leave your forks at the stock settings. Check with the trackside tire vendor and ask which pressures you should run on the track. Stock pressures are generally fine for a first trackday. (I'm assuming you're in the beginner group.) You might wanna take the bags off. Also pull the rubber bag mounts off the muffler brackets. They're not glued on very well and you don't want to have to order one from Yammie after they fall off on the track.

The most important prep thing is your brain. There's nothing to win at a track day. Absolutely stay within your limits and enjoy the freedom of not having to worry about Buicks, squad cars, or cell phones.

Andre,

I couldn't get you video to play right. did a search on Youtube and found a few others who have campaigned the FJR at track days.

I got the questions in a PM and thought I would post here for those who may have the same questions.

1 How much does it cost to do it? 2 Sure does look like fun being able to cut loose with less distractions.

3 How many laps do they give you

4 do they give you any type of instruction or just turn you loose?
1 depends on the track and the organizer Little tally = around $120 Barber = $200

2 it is

3 as many as you can fit in in a 20 min session (typ) 3 sessions an hour 20 min each in groups Advance, Intermediate, Novice then repeat at the top of next hour for your group. Most I have been to start at 9 break from 12-1 for lunch and end at 5. That will give you 7 sessions a day typically.

4 again depends on organizer and your level of need as to what is avail. The vid you watched was my first time on a track with no instruction. I took another track day with another organizer and got class time and instructors leading me round.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to check with your insurance company and see if they will cover damage that happens at a race track. Not all policies do and I have seen bikes totaled in the beginner class.

Virginia International Raceway on May 19 2008.

Cost is 150.00 all day.

Buell is having a track day. This is a great way to get track time. They will have demos their also to try on the track. I owned a Buell Xb9s a few years ago.

You can take any bike to the track as long as it passes the inspection. My buddy that is going with me has a R-6 he is taking with him.

Your food is in with the price and other things.

https://www.buell.com/en_us/news_events/ins...sidepass_022608

I cant wait!!! :yahoo:

FJRKY08:

You will find that most tracks/track day operators will also require you to take an "orientation" class that goes over flags, etiquette, rules and usually offering some form of instruction. This will vary from track to track so it is best to contact them about a class and bike preparation requirements. Have a great time and be prepared to become addicted to it!

Dave

Holy Coincidence, FJRKY08!

I am attending Keith Code's Superbike track school at VIR on May 19! We will be using the North course, which means Buel must have the South. Are you staying at the VIR Clubhouse?

Jim

I have not gotten my room yet. I Dont know what I am waiting for. I have been buying all the gear that I need for the day. I will get the room soon. First track day!!