Trailer for towing FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. $1495 is way too much for a used Kendon single rail. It's a deal on a multi rail but not for a single. Keep looking.

2. Learned long ago to get off the bike when loading. Like Wlfman said, just asking for trouble. I get some help to push the bike and up she goes.

If you buy a cargo trailer, make sure it's not a 6' one as that's just barely not long enough.

I always ride mine or my friends on but my ramp is really wide.

mc210-driveup-motorcycle-trailer.jpg

Looking at the first two trailers posted it really depends on why you want a trailer. Those trailers would be fine for taking your bike to the dealership for repairs or getting an FJR off the side of the road and limping home. For taking a long trip at highway speeds not so much. I would hate to think my FJR was on a single axle, small tire trailer loaded almost to capacity and a tire blew out. That's high center of gravity. I think bad things would happen.

Looking at the first two trailers posted it really depends on why you want a trailer. Those trailers would be fine for taking your bike to the dealership for repairs or getting an FJR off the side of the road and limping home. For taking a long trip at highway speeds not so much. I would hate to think my FJR was on a single axle, small tire trailer loaded almost to capacity and a tire blew out. That's high center of gravity. I think bad things would happen.
Both are reasons why I'm interested in a trailer. I'm not thinking of long distance travel. And I wanted to be able to load it by myself for convenience and flexibility.

Kendon trailers are top quality trailers that have the Dexter Torflex axle (the best) and have superb functionality (very little storage space required and yet will haul two full dress baggers).
I have this one and it's awesome because it takes up so little space in the garage: Kendon Stand up Dual Rail Motorcycle Trailer - $1495. I found mine used on Craigslist 10 years ago for $1200 and is worth every cent. I have put thousands of miles on mine.

This one is same company for a single bike: Kendon Stand Up Single Bike Trailer - $1200

Word of caution: be extremely careful with any trailer that has a short neck/hitch like these trailers. They're a bitch to backup b/c they jackknife in a flash.
I have at least 10,000 miles on my Kendon Dual. Has been about 25 miles south of New York to 25 miles east of Texas, Missouri, NC, SC, and a 150 mile round trip to TN most weekends. Mostly dirtbikes but an occasional Goldwing.

ML320_HC_2.jpg

Kendon trailers are top quality trailers that have the Dexter Torflex axle (the best) and have superb functionality (very little storage space required and yet will haul two full dress baggers).
I have this one and it's awesome because it takes up so little space in the garage: Kendon Stand up Dual Rail Motorcycle Trailer - $1495. I found mine used on Craigslist 10 years ago for $1200 and is worth every cent. I have put thousands of miles on mine.

This one is same company for a single bike: Kendon Stand Up Single Bike Trailer - $1200

Word of caution: be extremely careful with any trailer that has a short neck/hitch like these trailers. They're a bitch to backup b/c they jackknife in a flash.
I have at least 10,000 miles on my Kendon Dual. Has been about 25 miles south of New York to 25 miles east of Texas, Missouri, NC, SC, and a 150 mile round trip to TN most weekends. Mostly dirtbikes but an occasional Goldwing.

[img=[URL="https://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/ML320BT/ML320_HC_2.jpg%5D"]https://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/ML320BT/ML320_HC_2.jpg][/URL]
I'm curious how the bike gets loaded with this model trailer. Is there a ramp that drops down? How high off the ground is the bed and how long is the ramp?

Thanks,

J B

I don't understand why a bike would be on a trailer if it's not broken,last August on my way to Sturgis with my old army buddies I was the only one not on a hardly Davidson. Almost got my but kicked several times at different fuel stops, every stop there would be trucks,rv's pulling trailers with bikes on them, of course I would be so inquisitive to start asking what was wrong with there bike and if they needed assistance, being very mechanical that I am, no one wanted my help, I know I could have gotten those bike running.

1. $1495 is way too much for a used Kendon single rail. It's a deal on a multi rail but not for a single. Keep looking.2. Learned long ago to get off the bike when loading. Like Wlfman said, just asking for trouble. I get some help to push the bike and up she goes.

If you buy a cargo trailer, make sure it's not a 6' one as that's just barely not long enough.
This is what they cost new:

Single Stand-Up™ Motorcycle Trailer$2,599.95

Single Rail Trailer for Cruisers, incl. Harley Davidson, Goldwing, Sport Bikes and more.

Weight: 300 lbs

Capacity: 1,000 lbs

Standing Height: 89 inches

Max Width: 72 inches

Max Length: 114 inches

Depth: 27 inches

https://www.kendonusa.com/product/single-stand-up-motorcycle-trailer/

1. $1495 is way too much for a used Kendon single rail. It's a deal on a multi rail but not for a single. Keep looking.2. Learned long ago to get off the bike when loading. Like Wlfman said, just asking for trouble. I get some help to push the bike and up she goes.

This is what they cost new:

Single Stand-Up™ Motorcycle Trailer

$2,599.95

Single Rail Trailer for Cruisers, incl. Harley Davidson, Goldwing, Sport Bikes and more.

Weight: 300 lbsCapacity: 1,000 lbsStanding Height: 89 inchesMax Width: 72 inchesMax Length: 114 inchesDepth: 27 inches

Well beyond my budget! Definitely will need to go for a used one. But thanks.

I don't understand why a bike would be on a trailer if it's not broken,last August on my way to Sturgis with my old army buddies I was the only one not on a hardly Davidson. Almost got my but kicked several times at different fuel stops, every stop there would be trucks,rv's pulling trailers with bikes on them, of course I would be so inquisitive to start asking what was wrong with there bike and if they needed assistance, being very mechanical that I am, no one wanted my help, I know I could have gotten those bike running.
Bringing it home from the dealer -- didnt have any other way

Moving

There are lots of reasons...

The $1,495 Craigslist is a dual rail bike trailer similar to mine.

I ride my FJR onto he trailer every time, usually by myself. Gotta have long legs and good balance though.

I'm curious how the bike gets loaded with this model trailer. Is there a ramp that drops down? How high off the ground is the bed and how long is the ramp?
Thanks,

J B
The Kendon Dual Stand-Up bed is maybe 8-10" off the ground. There is about 3.5' long ramp screwed to the underside of the ducktail. If you know what it looks like you can see it in the bottom of my trailer standing against the carport wall.

For dirtbikes I carry a 2x6 about 3' long to load. Unload straight off without ramp. When I loaded a GL1800 I used a folding aluminum ramp which is about 7' long. Went right up like there was no incline at all.

If you want to get a perspective on the scale of things the trailer wheels are 13".

Bikes_On_Trailer.jpg

Perhaps some people simply abhor riding on interstate to reach such distant locations? I respect their choice as many are poor riders and would not survive a long distance ride. And others realize they will get to the good roads quicker and in saner state of mind to enjoy if they truck or trailer their motorcycles.

I'm curious how the bike gets loaded with this model trailer. Is there a ramp that drops down? How high off the ground is the bed and how long is the ramp?Thanks,

J B
The Kendon Dual Stand-Up bed is maybe 8-10" off the ground. There is about 3.5' long ramp screwed to the underside of the ducktail. If you know what it looks like you can see it in the bottom of my trailer standing against the carport wall.

For dirtbikes I carry a 2x6 about 3' long to load. Unload straight off without ramp. When I loaded a GL1800 I used a folding aluminum ramp which is about 7' long. Went right up like there was no incline at all.

If you want to get a perspective on the scale of things the trailer wheels are 13".

[img=[URL="https://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/dirtbike/Bikes_On_Trailer.jpg%5D"]https://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/dirtbike/Bikes_On_Trailer.jpg][/URL]

Great info! Thank you!

KD4AJF. 73's

1. $1495 is way too much for a used Kendon single rail. It's a deal on a multi rail but not for a single. Keep looking.

2. Learned long ago to get off the bike when loading. Like Wlfman said, just asking for trouble. I get some help to push the bike and up she goes.

This is what they cost new:Single Stand-Up™ Motorcycle Trailer

$2,599.95

Weight: 300 lbs

Capacity: 1,000 lbs

Standing Height: 89 inches

Max Width: 72 inches

Max Length: 114 inches

Depth: 27 inches

That's new, which I was aware of the price. Still doesn't mean that $1500 is too much for a used one. Certainly not one you have to drive great distances for. Watching craigslist can yield much better results for sure. Quick search of my local motorcycle forum showed results of $1050 and $900 for recent single rail sales. I got mine for a steal at $750 and the guy was five miles from my house.

Right now there's two dual rail's on craigslist in Houston that have me tempted to pop on down, one at $1300 and one at $1350.

From what you are saying, I should jump on that $1300 one and then turn around and sell my $700 trailer for $1500 and turn a profit. Probably could pull it off if I was patient.

***EDIT*** did not see that $1495 one was a dual rail, that'd be a decent deal worth jumping on, but not driving for. Should be able to find that deal locally.

There are folks trying to get their money back from buying new selling single rails for up to $2K. No way I'd spend that on a used one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why a bike would be on a trailer if it's not broken
Lots of good reasons if you let yourself keep an open mind. It's generally a bad idea to ride your track bike to the track. Same with dirt bikes. My FJR rides on the trailer on family vacations so I can have my bike near me. I've spent too many vacations with twisty roads nearby without my motorcycle that I learned that lesson. My FJR will float along behind my wife's new Honda Accord this summer for the family reunion in Robbinsville North Carolina. No way I'm going there bikeless.

Why not buy a small expanded steel trailer with a fold down gate. You don't know you need one until you have one. They're very inexpensive, and versitle as all Hell. They do not fold up, so if storage is an issue, that's a draw back.

Tractor Supply has a good selection of them.