Transitioning from a cruiser to a FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajw bikerider

Reaction score
Hello all

I am new to this forum..just ordered an available FJRAE at a dealership...apparently in a salesman's name and now in mine after a $500 deposit.

I owned a Harley Fatboy for several years before I sold it for other interests. I missed it (riding) and decided to get a higher performance bike with comfort for my spouse and me...the FJR fit the bill based on a lot of reading.

Just curious if anyone can give me insights into what the major handling differences will be for this transition...mainly associated with safety, what to watch for to stay out of trouble etc.

Thanks Much

AJ

This bike will perform much better in all aspects. This can be a problem if you're used to jamming on the brakes, and going WFO on the throttle. It will also lean over much easy and much further than your old bike, and it won't drag parts nearly as easy.

As long as you take it easy on the controls as you become acustomed to your new ride, as you should with any, you'll be fine.

I owned a Harley Fatboy for several years before I sold it for other interests.  I missed it (riding) and decided to get a higher performance bike with comfort for my spouse and me...the FJR fit the bill based on a lot of reading.
This almost sounds just like my story.

Oops- hit the trigger too soon, needs some editing...

Where was I? Oh yeah, you should have no problems adjusting to this bike. Just start off within your comfort/safety level and work from there. It's no lumbering beast so some advanced handling courses could bring great benefits. You may find that you want to take the bike near its performance potential but, if not, it will still make a very comfortable tourer for the both of you. It's very predictable and controllable, and with the linked ABS brakes it will stop just about as good as it will go. One bit of advice- Get it, ride it, then decide what you want for accessories. Unless you have unlimited funds, re-purchasing farkles can get painful. You've come to the right place for a wealth of (mostly) good info. Don't forget to sign up and come to Reno this summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went from a V star 1100 to a 05 FJR ABS last June and couldn't be happier. Take it easy at first and enjoy the ride. You will be pleasantly surprised by both the handling and power. Also make sure you get the suspension set up properly for your type of riding. ENJOY

You just lost a 100 pounds and doubled horse power. Brakes and engine will be impressive at first. ITs all good stuff.

AE is new to everyone, nobody rode one yet.

Take time to adjust, FJR is a great bike. Comfort is good two up. Lots of accessories to customize. Not as many as HARLEY, but chrome only slows you down.

This is the best website for info..............

Also came from a cruiser, 05 Vstar 1100 classic to 05 FJR and wouldn't look back. I had got used to all the mods on my cruiser i.e. 38" wide beach bars, highway pegs, seat mods and backrest, but now on the FJR the forward seating actually made it more a pleasure to ride. After an hour on my cruiser I was already shifting myself side to side, the FJR lets me put all my weight on my legs, therefore taking all the pressure off my tailbone which was killing me. I don't hear my floorboards scrape around the turns anymore, the FJR is very manuverable and the power...there is no comparison, just outstanding. The drawback...running out of places to go to locally, then county, city then state..etc etc etc

I converted from a 900 cc Triumph standard. It was a piece of cake. Start easy and then slowly expand your riding/performance envelope. The beauty of the FJR is that the envelope is huge and it could take years to grow into it! :)

Your very first farkle will be a topcase to keep SWMBO safe and happy. Any of those on the board wwho ride with "pillion" (passenger) will tell you how much better their S.O. likes riding with a back rest.

Don't let go of the harley just yet. I will never get rid of mine. Comfy and cool and easy riding. Feejers are different animals. They can test you. Harleys are easy....you ...test them. I won't ever push the limits of my feejer....I'll always test the limits of my softtail....once I get it rebuilt. Turns out....my baby doesn't like to go 120 mph north on 360 highway. My feejer does.

Sounds very much like what I am planning to do. Sell my New Warrior and get an FIR, only Problem is I am on a waiting list and just spent the evening suffering over my new tax bill! :ph34r:

Fatboy = Free Range Cow

FJR1300 = Thoroughbred (treat it with respect or it will throw you off)

The FJR has 2 personalities... the under 5k rpm one, and the 5k - 9k rpm one. Stay with the first personality until you get used to the bike and you should be okay. You'll love the riding position once you get used to it... much easier on the back. Going over railroad tracks or whatever, you just raise yourself a few inches off the seat, your legs are already under you.

Welcome to the club--just don't have it serviced at South Jackson Yamaha--don't ask me how I know this! :ph34r:

Hope you enjoy the FJR as much as the rest of us do...boy that is strange almost everyone came from a cruiser...I must be getting old...I came from a 1983 European version jap super bike...(which I still own & love) because of having my shoulders both rebuilt....does mean my FJR is meant for x old fart cruisers????...(man I love to stir the pot) :p :beee: :bleh: :p

Just curious if anyone can give me insights into what the major handling differences will be for this transition...mainly associated with safety, what to watch for to stay out of trouble etc.
Thanks Much

AJ
Be careful - very very careful, when you twist the throttle. You'll be puttering along at 40mph, wondering why everyone around you is going so slowly..... then you'll see that the speedometer is lying to you, claiming that you're doing 80.

I came from a VStar 1100 to an 03, just a few months ago. The out and out power plus the willingness to turn are the biggest differences.

When first riding the FJR, I didn't let it rev high enough, shifting WAY too soon. That takes a bit of getting used to. The brakes are sharper too and need a gentle squeeze to keep the braking smooth.

Out in the twisties is where the FJR really scores. It leans over with little input from the rider and has lots of room to go over without scraping.

Jill

Just curious if anyone can give me insights into what the major handling differences will be for this transition.
Yep. The FJR handles. The cruiser doesn't.

1. the right grip on the FJR is marked "go fast". on a cruiser it's marked "loudness".

2. Take it to a big, empty parking lot and practice throttle, brakes, swerving-then-braking, and braking-then-swerving.

3. If you've not done so before (or even if you have) get into an MSF:ERC course with it (remove the bags at the start of the range time).

[speaking from past experience]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for sound advice....seems to boil down to take it easy as not to scare myself or worse yet the wife :dribble:

It is great to know that the power and handling is manageable for a cruiser rider...makes me even more anxious for July to arrive.

AJ

After a nearly 20 year hiatus from riding bikes, I got back into it several years ago on a Honda cruiser. Within 12 months (thanks to the forum friends ;) ) I discovered the FJR. What a difference. Its a whole new world, in many respects.

All of the previous posts and advice are correct. I found myself doing "practice laps" in a school parking lots on Sundays. I found myself ordering books on riding techniques. And I found myself smiling a LOT while riding :D this bike.

The comment about "sub 5k rpm" and "over 5krpm" riding is correct. I have nowhere near the experience of the others on this forum -- but I continue to find new experiences on this bike -- all good ones.

Its a different ride from a cruiser. And, actually, a different (and better) motorcycle life (IMHO). Peace, Jay