Travel trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou D

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying the factory travel trunk for my blue 2006. Can anyone comment on the benefit of spending $700-$800 for this accessory and could someone post a pic of one installed? Thanks LD

I am thinking about buying the factory travel trunk for my blue 2006. Can anyone comment on the benefit of spending $700-$800 for this accessory and could someone post a pic of one installed? Thanks LD
Look in the classified ads section. There is a 2006 bike in Iowa that has a bunch of pictures. Some have the Yamaha trunk installed.

Joe

Wait for a factory trunk to come up in the classifieds. Going rate is about $300 for a trunk and mount.

Unless you're set on a factory trunk, consider other brands that hold more *stuff* and are much less expensive than a new factory unit.

Have fun!

--G

I went with the factory trunk purely because I like the way it looks. Other options are much less expensive and hold more gear. I don't do much long distance travel with the wife, so less capacity is not a big deal. I mainly needed a backrest for her and it's nice to be able to store extra stuff back there.

I actually went with the Givi both because it was cheaper and held more stuff, but I really despise the look of the factory box. It's fugly.

Glad to help. :)

All,

I am ordering a Givi V46 top case and rack for my 06 Cobalt FJR. I am having a real hard time finding the color matched replacement lid for the 06 cobalt. Where do you recommend ordering from?

Also, what else do I need besides the top case, rear rack, and replacement lid?

Thanks

Lou D

The Givi SR357 mounting rack is a good mount option that helps distribute weight better than other adapter plates. The only thing you might want to add to that trunk are a set of the Admore lights. Don't bother getting a GIVI light kit.

For cobalt blue order C46B594 - Cobalt blue DPBMU (2006 Yamaha FJR1300 & 2007 FZ1) at Twisted Throttle

Hi all,

I think I`ve decided to go with the Givi V46 case. What is the difference between the SR357 and the E228 rack for my 06? Is the SW-Motech rack better? Thanks for the help, Lou D

The Givi E228 uses the stock rear rack with an adapter for the trunk mount. The SR357 replaces the stock composite rack with a metal tubular one that adds a little strength to the stock set up. In either case, you should observe the weight limit to not damage the rear subframe.

Another option is the SW- MOTECH setup with the appropriate adapter from Twisted Throttle. Slick set-up, a few (me included) of the PNW locals use it with no complaints and a bit more flexibility than the Givi specific mounts.

Good luck!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
The Givi E228 uses the stock rear rack with an adapter for the trunk mount. The SR357 replaces the stock composite rack with a metal tubular one that adds a little strength to the stock set up. In either case, you should observe the weight limit to not damage the rear subframe.

Another option is the SW- MOTECH setup with the appropriate adapter from Twisted Throttle. Slick set-up, a few (me included) of the PNW locals use it with no complaints and a bit more flexibility than the Givi specific mounts.

Good luck!

--G
The problem with either the E228/SW-Motech racks is that these are a lot weaker since they sit on the OEM grab-rail. The SR357 is much stronger and better IMHO.

The 357 is the way to go. I had a factory box ordered, canceled it after reading about some sub frame cracks here and also the OEM size. Also no lights which was a big factor for me. 6 protection is always a priority for me. The AddMore lighting kit is second to none in lighting up that top case.

All in all with the 357 mount, the Givi and the light kit cost me a bit less than the factory case, so no brainer.

If you go with the V46 on the SR357 you may not need the backrest. I made the mistake of buying it and my wife is ok with out it. Her jacket already has back padding and the givi backrest looks like it will push her forward. The SR357 is a solid mount.

Definitely no backrest needed if the gear is being worn. It adds an inch or to to the front of the case, which intrudes into your passenger's space.

Hi guys, I still haven`t decided which trunk to get for my 06. I like the look of the factory box but the price and the cracking issues push me towards the Givi V46. I`ve spent way too much time investigating and I want to thank everyone who has posted info/pics on this subject. I did contact Premier Cycle Accessories to inquire about their FJR Sport Touring Rack the Givi box. He said that the Cobalt Blue skin for the Givi box is no longer available. Can anyone suggest a supplier that might have one? Thanks

Lou - Can't tell if you're still undecided on which trunk but I have an '04 with the factory box, including the plate mod, and about ten minutes from you. PM if you wanna take a look-see.