Trimming The Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo2015

Reaction score
I have tried the stock '05 windshield with the Rifle tuning block and find that it provides far less buffeting and noise in the full down position. It is still not completely clean air. I need to sit up about 1" or so higher to get completely clean air. I would like to try one of two things:

1) Add spacers to the tuning block to further decrease the angle of the windshield. Currently, when full down, the windshield hits on the fairing, so if I decrease the angle further, I will need to cut out some notches to avoid hitting the fairing. Any advice on how to do this? I am thinking of using a Dremel tool.

2) Trim down the top of the windshield, maybe 1/4" at a time, until I get clean air. Again, the only thing I can think of is to use a Dremel tool and sand it off to get it smooth.

Has anyone tried either of these things?

Thanks

I have a friend that cut his windshield down using a Dremel and sanding it . It looks like a factory job, so it can be done. Have fun.

Doesn't your stock windshield hit the bodywork when using the Rifle tuning block? It does on my '04.

Craig

Plexi can be cut and sanded easy enough. I had to trim and sand my kit plane windshield and canopy bubble. I used a 4 inch side grinder to shape it after using a dremel cut off disc. Then you want to sand out ALL of the scratches up to 400 grit, give or take. 2000 grit, then polishing paste will make it look factory clear.

Here's how to do it.Cover the windshield area near the top edge to avoid accidental scratches to the shield. I used a RotoBit type attachment to the dremel tool. Use fine line tape to mark off the cut line, follow the line w/ the Dremel and you're there. I took off about 2 inches and liked the change for summer. After the cut I sanded the edge and used black automotive edge trim around the shield to finish the look. Job should take less than 1 hour.

I put masking tape(the cool blue kind) over the shield for protection.I marked the tape with a sharpy,cut the shield with a jigsaw(fine blade) and sanded.Looks fine,easily done.

I cut about 1 1/2 off of an '03 shield,and I'm considering cutting another inch off.I have my '04 shield for winter.

Blue tape, trace the shape, electric jig-saw (dremel, whatever), I have used a belt sander to finish shaping, then finish sand edges with increasing grades of fine sandpaper (150-320-400-??) finish edges with polishing compound or paste and a buffing wheel.