Trip to Sturgis

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfah

Reaction score
I finally had the opportunity to get my'07 FJR out for a 3700 mile ride to South Dakota and back. We did the trip in 8 days and except for some bad gas and a speeding ticket in "Crook" Wyoming (78 in a 65 mile zone, out in the middle of NOWHERE just trying to catch up to my buddy-just put it on my tab) the trip was a success. The bike performed wonderfully. I did get really sore in the saddle on some long stretches and learned to rest my buns briefly when I couldn't endure the pain any longer. I brought along a piece of sheepskin to sit on that really did help but I must modify the stock seat for future long distance rides.

The thing that bothered me most was the wind at times. Doing 80+ mph on Interstate 80 with strong gusts and lots of truck/wind turbulence was at times unnerving. I understand that riding technique is of utmost importance in the wind but my feeling is that the FJR is tall and top-heavy and lighter than most touring bikes. I use a Yamaha tall touring shield which works pretty well for my 5'8" height unless the wind is really howling, then the whole bike just seems to not perform as well as I'd like.

I know I can continue to improve my riding technique in the wind but I just wanted to hear some of your opinions on the subject. I really love this bike and would like to know how to better deal with this challenge if .

Actually, I've always felt my '04 was excellent in wind, far better than other bikes I've owned. I also did Sturgis, but on my Road King. You weren't the guy in Deadwood on the AE that I spoke to were you?

As to your experience, are you running a top box? That would tend to aggravate the issue. More surface area and all.

There was a lot of wind at times out in WY and MT, but the worst I saw was in the Columbia Gorge on I-84. WOT just to keep the poor 68 Hp RK at 75 at times. :)

Actually, I've always felt my '04 was excellent in wind, far better than other bikes I've owned. I also did Sturgis, but on my Road King. You weren't the guy in Deadwood on the AE that I spoke to were you?
As to your experience, are you running a top box? That would tend to aggravate the issue. More surface area and all.

There was a lot of wind at times out in WY and MT, but the worst I saw was in the Columbia Gorge on I-84. WOT just to keep the poor 68 Hp RK at 75 at times. :)

No my FJR isn't an AE so it wasn't me you saw, I did enjoy seeing probably about 6 FJR'S on my trip in total, also there was a Florida FJR parked close by me in Sturgis. I have an Electra Glide as well but really was excited to take the FJR which really performed well throughout the trip. I don't run with a top box but I did have a T Bag laying down packed with stuff, it was actually situated pretty well. I guess anything on two wheels is going to feel strong gusts especially lighter bikes, just the way it goes I guess.

Anyway thanks for responding, I'm just trying to improve for the next time.

I had my Florida bike there....2006 AE...rode up from Houston, TX (my car needed an engine and I towed the bike there).

I look at it this way: a bike at speed is a very stable platform due to centrifugal force.

I encountered strong crosswinds on I-70 on my way to US 385 and also on I-10 near Houston. I just hunkered down so I wouldn't get blown off the bike.

I also held on for dear life... :p

The FJR is much better than the RoadStar that I had previously for wind protection. Crosswinds are always a problem, but to put it in perspective even wide Goldwings are not immune to their effects. (I assumed the wind protection would be far superior, but after riding with a Wing - they get a fair amount of buffetting from crosswinds/trucks as well)

If you want better protection from the wind, a cage will provide full coverage!

It’s interesting to me to read/hear the different perspectives/experiences of different riders concerning riding in strong winds or crosswinds.

The only time I’ve ever really felt the need to “hunker down” and hang tight was on the east side of the divide on MT’s Hwy 200. The crosswinds near the Dearborn were fierce, and the gusts were really punishing--they “hammered” :excl: us for about ten miles. My friend said, “it felt like the wind was trying to tear his helmet off”. He was riding a thumper. Overall, on that particular ride, I believe my feejer faired bettered in those conditions than his thumper. I was able to “pretty much” hold a line but, it was work. From what I could see in my RVM he was occasionally experiencing considerable drift.

Mine: 08 with XXtall w/shield

His : V-twin with tall w/shield

Ok Mrfah,

I understand this thread and the wind but the title is way wrong.... Trip to Sturgis....

Man, I was looking for a ride report with plenty of pics of Breasts, Booties and Bimbos!!

:grin:

WW

Sometimes, even with all the practice in the world, the wind is just fricken nasty and you just have to grit your teeth and get through it. In July I used I-25 in Eastern Wyoming as a short cut from Colorado to the Black Hills. It always seems to be windy there, but this year was exceptional. I had one gust of wind blow my Yamaha magnetic tank bag off the tank and onto my right arm. Great fun trying not to lose the bag and keep the bike steady all at the same time. But the real thrill came on Hy 2 back here in Washington. I got nailed by a dust devil that took us from the fog line in our lane to the middle of the oncoming lane. Stuffed a bunch of grass and straw up into my helmet and into my eyes. Good times.

I've crossed the Dakota's several times and IMHO it doesn't matter what bike you are riding most days you are going to take a beating from the wind.

If you're unlucky there are days you'll take such a severe beating from the wind that you literally cannot stay in your lane when the gusts hit.

Sounds to me like you and your bike did fine.

You know it's windy when you lean left to go right :wacko:

My '07 FJR handles the wind about the same as my Venture Royal did, and alot better than my Ninja did. I do run the Givi V46 topbox. I do drop the shield all the way down, and try to stay loose when the wind is from the sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your comments and insights, I really appreciate it. My friends asked my why I was taking my Yamaha instead of my Harley to Sturgis. I'm so glad I did, I was so excited anticipating this trip days before we left and I'm not sorry by any means that I rode my FJR. It is a GREAT motorcycle and I look forward to my next trip. We were warned about flash flooding along the way and I believe it was in Utah that we finally got rained on. All the cars were pulled over but we just turned our hazard lights on and plowed right through it at a slow pace but nevertheless the bike got me through.

Two wheels are way more exciting than four and when it comes to gusty winds well I guess I'll just have to continue to grow in my riding experience.

Thanks for all your comments and insights, I really appreciate it. My friends asked my why I was taking my Yamaha instead of my Harley to Sturgis. I'm so glad I did, I was so excited anticipating this trip days before we left and I'm not sorry by any means that I rode my FJR. It is a GREAT motorcycle and I look forward to my next trip. We were warned about flash flooding along the way and I believe it was in Utah that we finally got rained on. All the cars were pulled over but we just turned our hazard lights on and plowed right through it at a slow pace but nevertheless the bike got me through.
Two wheels are way more exciting than four and when it comes to gusty winds well I guess I'll just have to continue to grow in my riding experience.

If you think the wind blows around the FJR, try a 250 Ninja with a 98 lb lady on it.... she ended up going a bit too slow, thru the mountains and the wind blew the bike and her over...

maybe that we were riding at the end of a hurricane on the Big Island of Hawaii had something to do with it... winds about 40-45 mph, gusts up to 60....

It was a fun ride that day!....<BG>

mary