Triumph Sprint GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LOVE my 06 Sprint ST. That said, yes it is up for sale (and listed in the classifieds) only because I have the FJR for touring. For a sport bike I'm leaning to the Street Triple R. Until now, I've put the bike for sale with much trepidation because I don't need a 1050 sport bike but yet I do love riding the darn thing so much! I'll still sell the Sprint if I can get someone to buy it. If not, I may be able to eat my cake and get rid of both the Sprint and the FJR and get the Sprint GT. Going to have to ride one but I already love that 1050 triple motor..... Oh my, such dilemmas.....

I've ridden VFR's and Triumph triples and the VFR motors win hand down ... the triple sounds/feels like a chainsaw, the veefour had no vibrations and is one of the best sounding bikes on the planet.
But then again, that's just my opinion.
Exactly why there's apples & oranges.

I like riding Viffers for the handling and smoothness, but my impression is that they are so smooth they have no soul.
That's what all the Hardley guys say... :rolleyes:

PS - no bike is too smooth. Soul comes from within you more than the bike.

Don't ride this or it will really be making ya rethink your world. :devil:
https://www.ducati.com/bikes/multistrada/1200_s/index.do
Tempt me not, further, oh Satan. I have already seen, and admit to have been tempted. Verily.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/12312_12324.aspx

Priced at $13,199, the Sprint GT [SIZE=18pt]will be available in US dealerships this fall[/SIZE] as early release 2011 models.

I guess I'm probably not getting an FJR anymore gentlemen. I was already at one point at the door with deposit at hand at the Triumph dealership just about ready to hand it over for an ST but paused. Now with bigger bags, better ergos, plug-ins for vest.....I think the only things pushing me more to the "touring" end have been addressed by triumph and I can keep more to my preferred "sport" end of the spectrum.

That's assuming I sit on it and it feels right, and that it actually comes out. And in red I hope. Else I'll have to paint it or factor that into the cost.

God damn I love the sprints. Many pics of them have adorned my wallpaper on my computers now and again.

https://www.triumph.co.uk/canada/10229_10236.aspx

Priced at $14,399, the Sprint GT [SIZE=18pt]will be available in Canadian dealerships this fall [/SIZE]as an early release 2011 model.
It'll probably work out to $15k with additional tailbag and tax if bartering proves successful. I'm going to try to buy it right away (after it gets here that is). Shame about the new exhaust though, but I guess they would have kept the undertail if they could.

-------------------------------------------

video

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of great info from someone who has ridden the thing and isn't being paid by Triumph:

https://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-sprint-gt-review

[SIZE=12pt]plus a crap-ton of great new pictures are in that link too. [/SIZE]

Triumph_SprintGT_22.JPG

Triumph_SprintGT_11.JPG

Triumph_SprintGT_09.JPG

it'll be the height of winter when i get it. you'll have to wait until next riding season. but ill spam pictures of course. and i think even with a sprint i'd stay on this forum. pretty great group of riders here.

I'm really hoping they put the same amount of detail upgrade into the ST towards more sportiness. Especially de-underseating its exhaust.

The September issue of the UK magazine "Bike" ran a full test of the Sprint GT.

The last sentence of the test was, "If price is a major buying influence, The Sprint GT's a winner."

They were comparing it to the C-14, VFR 1200, K1300S. and Multistrada.

In the UK the Sprint GT is several thousand pounds cheaper than the other bikes mentioned.

I love Triumph triples...The new Sprint looks great, but the Tiger SE is really messin' with me... :wub:
FYI-My son bought a new 2010 Tiger with bags, heated grips, center stand, upgraded exahust, all for $2500 less than a SE. ($500 was a Triumph military discount). Only thing missing is ABS and a reported better suspension.

He loves it especially when he found out how to adjust the suspension from 1 up to 2 up and back again. He thinks it will keep up with the FJR but then again he claims I drive to fast. He is 6'2" and the ergonomics are better for him than my FJR were for him. The sport lean is even less than the FJR.

BGH60

The sport lean is even less than the FJR.
What do you mean? It has less clearance to lean? or it leans less for a given corner?

I suspect the latter would be correct. But the Tiger SE isn't the one that has me on pins and needles. That has morphed over the years into pretty much a straight street bike with a standard upright seating position. Whatever they release as the 2 new dual sports is what I'm anxious to see.

Hmmm.....that doesn't sound right. Less to the sport side than an FJR? How would that be achieved? It weighs 50 lbs less than an FJR and weight has been brought lower to the ground than the ST (even though it weighs more than an ST). If the seating position and body angle is the exact same as an FJR (which I don't think it is as I think it might be more forward body angle on the GT than the FJR), then the lower weight and inherent sportiness of the ST line carried forwards into the GT should put the GT much closer to the sporty end of the spectrum?

It's got a lower windscreen also. And they haven't made THAT drastic a chance to the ST. It's still mostly an ST. They re-did the lights, rear end, and touched up the ergos. That's pretty much it I think for the most part.

I know somebody here in NC getting one this month. He's a current FJR owner but will be switching soon. Sorry, but can't give his name. I'm sure he'll post up some feedback/comments soon.

what do you guys have against the undertail? im sure thats a big selling point on the ST. it looks great and shows off the tire/SSS.

It doesn't have that much of a detriment on performance, and it looks very nice. Nice doesn't make it squidly.

Want proof?

The GSXR doesn't have undertail exhaust.

:)

I read that the 2011 ST will be a UK only model.

The rest of the world will get the GT only.

I never understand that. I know we buy fewer bikes than the Euros. So just send us fewer BIKES. Don't send us fewer TYPES of bikes to choose from. God damn it. Assholes.