Triumph Sprint GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think maybe the point is that the euros have been buying the old ST. Us lard butt Amurikans have demanded a more wide-open-plains-touring version, which is the GT. So, those nice Limeys made us a new bike! ;)

Yeah, I guess that is true, but there is an equal amount of demand from Europe though I think. They buy more bikes per capita, so even if they buy fewer large sport tourers per bike purchased, they will still be buying the same number of large sport touring mounts as we do.

That is based on no facts or research of any sort, just my unadulterated opinion, as is usually the case.

what do you guys have against the undertail? im sure thats a big selling point on the ST. it looks great and shows off the tire/SSS.
They admit it's a performance detriment (the GT makes more power), it's heavier, it sucks up useful space, it burns your ass, and the only defense it has is subjective aesthetics. I think it also looks stupid, because all I can see is three feet of useless pipe blocking my access to the shock adjusters. :-\

looks great but I will never buy another ST without an electric windsheild. I'm surprised they don't offer it as an option and I'd expect there will be an aftermarket option before too long as the stock "windsheild" is not credible for a long distance bike.

looks great but I will never buy another ST without an electric windsheild.

I agree. The funny thing is when I bought the FJR the electric windshield was at the bottom of my priority list. I just didn't realize how nice it is till I got the bike.

I suspect someone's going to sell a lot of aftermarket exhausts for this thing. :rolleyes:

I'll have to take the author word for it regarding the handling, but 590 pounds seems like a lot for a chain drive sporty-tourer. I know the triple is sweet; I spent some time on both an '01 and '06 Sprint ST. Lots of good mid-range power and good fuel economy. I just don't think it's a bike for me.

looks great but I will never buy another ST without an electric windsheild.

I agree. The funny thing is when I bought the FJR the electric windshield was at the bottom of my priority list. I just didn't realize how nice it is till I got the bike.
Actually, I kind of disagree about that.

I think having the adjustable windshield is only necessitated by running one of the giant barn door windshields that many of us like to. In the really cold weather, I'm one of those guys, with my big Rifle Touring model. Problem when running one of those shields is you need to be able to get out from behind the behemoth piece of lexan when the temps climb up even a little bit. And the problem is the range of adjust-ability is just not enough in that situation.

I find that my stock VFR (nonadjustable) very low, sport style faring windshield gives me much better aerodynamics and essentially no head buffeting at all speeds. No you don't get the same weather protection, so you do have to dress for the weather. In the warm summer months having an adjustable windshield is really a non-asset. In the colder months, bundle up. ;)

One of the local guys here (forum member BkrK12) has cut his stock 2nd Gen shield down to about the same size as my VFR's, which makes the adjusting thing not do very much. And I never see him with anything bigger on it anymore.