Trouble with a trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCJeff

Reaction score
I have been loaned an '04 with a trunk to join a group for an amazing ride. About 4,000miles in 10 days in the northwest. I have noticed that the strap that stops the trunk lid from opening past 90 degrees has been torn and has recoiled into the spooler(?). Anyone out there mind telling me how it is normally attached and if anyone else has dealt with the same issue? I can see the cord in the spool but haven't got it out yet and I can see where it should attach????

There was a small aluminum rivet-looking thing that was there that goes through the plastic and holds the end of the retracting thing. Mine broke last year and I replaced it with a small "s" hook I got from Lowe's. It was tough finding the right one because when you open the lid, it actually puts a lot of pressure on the s hook and bent the first few that I used, but a bigger, stronger hook doesn't fit well through the plastic hole. I just kept working it until I got it through.

Good Luck.

Swingman Sends

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went out and looked at mine on a 2003. It is looped and sewn and then the fastener on the left side is run through the loop and tightened. Hope this helps.

Mark

I think that helps....I saw that the end of the cord was frayed before it retracted into the recoil spooler. So you say that it was stitched the had a little hook to go around the chrome rivet like thing-a-majig?

There was a small aluminum rivet-looking thing that was there that goes through the plastic and holds the end of the retracting thing. Mine broke last year and I replaced it with a small "s" hook I got from Lowe's. It was tough finding the right one because when you open the lid, it actually puts a lot of pressure on the s hook and bent the first few that I used, but a bigger, stronger hook doesn't fit well through the plastic hole. I just kept working it until I got it through.
Good Luck.

Swingman Sends
No wonder your bike is backfiring! :p

The S hook is porbably a good option. Score the surface around it, and use a little JB to hold it in place and that sucker won't go anywhere.

No wonder your bike is backfiring! :p

The S hook is porbably a good option. Score the surface around it, and use a little JB to hold it in place and that sucker won't go anywhere.

You talkin' to me? You must be talkin' to me 'cause I'm the only guy with an "S" hook in my trunk. Seriously, tho, give me credit for my ingenuity. ha?

CS

EDIT: Besides, I figured out that backfiring was just a decel pop, and I fixed it. I got better earplugs. Quiet as a lamb now!