Trunk rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I Drink Alone

Reaction score
At long last, finally found the deal on the bike I wanted. Picked up my '07 last Sat. Have put on about 500 miles since mostly in the mountains and am loving it. Installed G2 cam (was aware before hand would be needing it and the 500 mi. so far confirmed) and risers today. Now, will need a taller windshield but also am having trouble figuring how to load all the camping gear I have been strapping onto my Harley to now. Granted we looked like the Clampett's when we went camping but we got everything on. Strapping to the front fender is now out. What are the thoughts, recommendations, warnings about trying to put the Givi E96 Metal Top Case Rack on the Yamaha trunk?

I'm sure others will chime in here (which is good because I'm either too lazy or too busy here at work to get into the specifics) but on the general topic of (over)loading on the rear, search Google for "<site:fjrforum.com rear subframe crack>" or something to that effect.

All sorts of info out there concerning overloading the rear trunk so if you get a rack only put things like a bike cover air mattress etc. If you ride solo get a large waterproof duffel bag and strap in on the rear seat. That's where I carry my tent, sleeping bag, mattress, etc. Next a good tank bag will round out things. With the side bags, trunk, duffel and tank bag you can carry lots of stuff. Obviously this is for solo riding. I use my trunk to carry warm weather and rain gear as it is easy access and doesn't weigh too much.

Bill

I seen the cracked sub-frame but i'm on my third FJR with the same Givi 46 top box on all of them with out any problems. And yes I have went way over the recommend weight many time. Just the beer and ice alone ......
punk.gif

I'd opt for a 55L top case and make everything fit in / on / around that. You can definitely mount a luggage rack to the top case...but it'll only work for light items.

You didn't specifically say if you're looking for something to work for two-up camping. If so, it's going to be difficult to fit everything on the bike...

Good luck!

--G

Yes, two up. On Harley would have tent, mattress, and air compressor in compression bag strapped to front fender. Clothing in a bag attached to the silly little rack on back (listed 8 lb. limit) and sleeping bags in compression bag strapped on top of that. Small, soft saddlebags reserved for rain gear and booze.

I've seen an FJR with stuff like a tent strapped to the top of each sidecase. As long as your passenger can get on, it wouldn't be in her way and might even be a nice arm rest.

I have the factory trunk, but if you want lots of storage room don't go there. Trunks from companies like Givi have much more room and most importantly - stronger racks.