tunes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several options out there for speakers and amps that are motorcycle safe. Most of them run north of the $400 mark. I have tossed aroung the idea of these as Oklahoma gets kinda freaked out if you have headphones in. https://www.cyclesounds.com/ is one of the companies I've looked at. The problem I have seen in most of these is that the speakers are handle bar mounted and set up for the cruiser diameter of 1.25" not the sport bike diameter of 7/8". The only alternative I could come up with was mounting them on an aftermarket dash shelf like the N-Line dash.

Just get a Scala G-4, it has FM, is bluetooth capable to cell phone, I-pod, and GPS besides being able to communicate with another rider.

Unless your trying to pimp your bike and pissoff the civilized world with a blaring boombox...if thats the case, do stay the **** away from me....

FWFE

There are several options out there for speakers and amps that are motorcycle safe. Most of them run north of the $400 mark. I have tossed aroung the idea of these as Oklahoma gets kinda freaked out if you have headphones in. https://www.cyclesounds.com/ is one of the companies I've looked at. The problem I have seen in most of these is that the speakers are handle bar mounted and set up for the cruiser diameter of 1.25" not the sport bike diameter of 7/8". The only alternative I could come up with was mounting them on an aftermarket dash shelf like the N-Line dash.

I'm somewhat familiar with the different brands of systems. I just didn't know about the application on a fjr. Like where to put the amp and as you mentioned...where to mount the speakers. I'm guessing there are not many folks out there with music mounted to their bike. BTW I'm asking because I'm looking hard at buying an 05. don't have one yet.

Just get a Scala G-4, it has FM, is bluetooth capable to cell phone, I-pod, and GPS besides being able to communicate with another rider.

Unless your trying to pimp your bike and pissoff the civilized world with a blaring boombox...if thats the case, do stay the **** away from me....

FWFE

I just looked at a video on these. A couple of questions though...is it a pain to deal with all the parts? Can it be used with a half helmet? is the fm tuner very good at picking up stations w/o an antenna. Also I really don't consider adding ugly speakers "pimping" I just want to listen to some music while cruising around. thanks for the response.

Since you asked nicely, and my previous response may be construed as rude...... my apologies.

The Scala is a self contained unit, the speakers do mount inside the helmut, out of LEO view, it does require at least a 3/4 helmet. The FM antenna is self contained, and only works in urban areas with strong FM stations, I am guessing it works ok in rural areas also, we have fairly weak FM stations here and lots of mountains and bigassed trees. I can call and answer the cell phone while underway, my riding buddy has his bluetoothed to his smart phone for tunes, I have mine connected to a non-bluetooth I-pod. and I just LOVE the performance. Over 70mph, sound quality is decreased due to exterior sound.

FWFE

Me? Just an iPod in my pocket and my in-ear... ear buds. I wear a half helmet and the ear buds do a great job of blocking out the sound of the wind at higher speeds and makes me a rockin' happy camper. Now why would I ever want to put up with speakers and wind noise, amplifiers and wiring... or any other expensive systems? Just my opinion.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad a LEO gave you a hard time for wearing in-ears, first I've heard of that.

With all the in-ear sets that allow nearly full control of your ipod now, that's what I do. Work about as well as ear plugs and great fidelity. One tap of your fingers and it pauses, changes volumes, skips tracks... a good silk helmet liner helps to keep them seated in your ears while putting the helmet on/off.

I have an Autocom intercom system that i have had sitting on the shelf for some time. I rode with this unit for years and i expect it will be good for many more. These things have been pretty bullet proof for me. It can be mounted under the seat and powered by the bike.

I bought the next better one and would consider parting with it if you are interested. Let me know and i'll put all the parts together and see what i got.

I put a XM radio on my 08 with some sony earbuds with inline volume control. Total cost was around $40. I got a great deal on the radio because I was already a subscriber in my car. The mount cost more that both of them combined. Still under $200 for the whole works. I got the mounts from Cycle Gadgets, but I think they are out of buisness now. Bottom line is I love the XM on the bike. Don't have to listen to myself sing anymore. :yahoo:

GP

For the longest time, I strapped my MP3 player to my right arm and ran the ear buds up through my jacket.

Now that I have a Zumo 660, I use a Sena to bluetooth to the gps. I still use ear buds and the Zumo runs my music, navigation and phone.

I really like it.

Having a few crusier buds with speakers set up. The only ones worth noting would be the amp'd up fairiing systems with subs. The bullett style bar mounts will not compare with an in helmet speaker/bluetooth set up. If you get pulled over, you turn it off. Not to mention it's completely legal.

Sena SMH10 bluetooth here and love it. Speakers fit perfectly in the helmet (just bought an RF-1100) and the volume level is good (my old X11 helmet was too narrow for the Sena speakers). The Sena kept music going for the entire 12 hour ride home from EOM yesterday, giving me a low-power warning about 5 miles from home. I have my iPhone in the glovebox with the accessory power hooked up and it's synced to the Sena. My Garmin (not a Zumo model) limits me to the current configuration otherwise I'd link the phone to the GPS and the GPS to the Sena.

I've also got a Sena headset, Etymotic earbuds, and a Zumo 665 GPS. With a bluetooth dongle on my iPod, I have wireless hi-fidelity sound with many GB of music, plus XM radio & cellphone communications. BTW, amps & speakers are for Goldwings & Harleys, not FJRs.

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

BTW, amps & speakers are for Goldwings & Harleys, not FJRs.

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.
Let's face it... if ya want speakers on your bike that give ya any kind of sound worth listening to, it's gonna take a miracle to find the space to make it happen. I imagine that someone might try to turn the side cases into giant custom made speaker enclosures... but look what cha lose... no more usable space in the side cases. Unless your last name is Bose, you need a sizable amount of space behind your woofers to produce any decent bass, and without some bass, I'm just not interested.

FWFE
Or........he could just trade bikes with me....and be the proud NEW owner of an OLD (2003) Venture Midnight with honkin big aftermarket speakers built right into his 869 pound fairing!! :yahoo:

P1050063.jpg

Just an FYI in ear buds are illegal in most states cause you can't hear a siren from an emergency vehicle that includes in a vehicle also not just on MC. I do like helmet speakers or blue tooth helmet set ups. I have had several MC's and I found if I had speaker they quickly are hard to hear at any reasonable speed. On the other hand my speakers currently in my helmet are very easy to hear.

Just an FYI in ear buds are illegal in most states cause you can't hear a siren from an emergency vehicle that includes in a vehicle also not just on MC. I do like helmet speakers or blue tooth helmet set ups. I have had several MC's and I found if I had speaker they quickly are hard to hear at any reasonable speed. On the other hand my speakers currently in my helmet are very easy to hear.
Most cops I know or have met don't give earphones a second look. The reason has to do with modern cars.

Try this. Go test drive a new Lexus with a Bose system and crank it up. Then...Tell me how much traffic you can really hear. Almost nothing.

Car companies have strived for years to reduce outside noise penetrating their car's cabins. Many have done a very good job. Hell...I hear less in my 99 F150 with Flowmaster exhaust and Mud Terrain tires than I hear on my bike with my ears in and my music on.

ALSO...A few states have specific statutory exceptions for earphones that are connected to a phone. This follows the push for "hands free" in vehicle phone use. Unless the phone Blue Tooths to the car, most hands free systems require an ear piece or ear phones. It almost has to be one or the other, unless phone use of any type is banned in vehicles.

So IF someone does decide to hassle you for earphones, #1, realize he's prolly a dipshit, and #2, remind him/her your hands free calls are routed through them. Whether they are or not.

If I got stopped and a cop told me to prove my phone came to my ear-buds I'd tell him to get a warrant. I don't have to prove they do...He has to prove they don't.

On another note, with a FF helmet on, no one knows if you have ear-buds in or not. If you get pulled over, they may see them when you pull the helmet off, but if you're already being stopped, ear-buds are prolly the least of your worries.

There is the problem right there. You are putting your record into the hands of a police officer's prosecutorial discretion. I have been contact by law enforcement for a number of reasons on my motorcycle and it is a crap shoot either way it goes. Some don't care, some do and will cite you for it. Oklahoma law specifically forbids it and therefore I try to abide by that. My Sena works just fine and is legal in Oklahoma.