Tuono or Brutale?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sks700

Reaction score
I'm considering one of these bikes as my next new liability. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about either? Also, any idea what insurance might be like compared to the FJR?

Lee

Lee,

I have owned a Aprilia Mille and also sold them for a few years. My bike was trouble free,Honda caliber fit and finish, no quirks. The Tuono is probably improved on even more. Rotax engine is bullet proof, low maintenance. We sold MV also but a lot less in numbers. Good luck!

Ken

As of yet I have owned neither of these bikes.

However I volunter to do a looong term test of both bikes (actually just about any bikes).

Just PM me and I will give you an address to send the machines to for evaluation! No charge, btw! :D

I've only seen both in person and sat on them. I never rode them. I think the Brutale has cooler features and I like the seating position better...but that's me.

I'd take either for running around town (even though I can be out of it in 2 minutes) and the local snake shape roads. :dribble: :dribble:

The Aprilia motor with a set of aftermarket pipes sounds killer.
drool.gif

I snapped these at last years M/C show.

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

A friend of mine who has raced all his life just loves the twins. He just bought a Tuono R abd that thing will rock your socks right off on acceleration. I know which way I would vote after riding it.

The Brutale looks hotter in person than any other Italian naked bike, even the Duc. I've never ridden either, but my buddies have Aprilia's and love them.

My FJR still rules though...

I have ridden both bikes. While of course I am biased towards Aprilia, simply put the 2ono is an animal compared to the Brutale. The MV is a very nice bike through and through as is the Aprilia. The Tuono just has that v-twin grunt and a lot more power and torque. It would be no contest for me. Tuono all the way.

Finding out that the nearest MV dealer is about 350 miles away kinda ended the lusting for the Brutale. I made a deal on an '07 Tuono R (silver) today. I can still back out of it however if the insurance turns out to be a killer. Anybody have any idea what I can expect compared to my '05 FJR?

Lee

Anybody have any idea what I can expect compared to my '05 FJR?
Much less wind protection. A lot more power, better handling, and a sound that will put a HUGE grin on your face every time. Don't forget to derestrict it if your dealer hasn't done it for you. Go visit www.apriliaforum.com for everything Aprilia.

Congratulations on the new bike!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering one of these bikes as my next new liability. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about either? Also, any idea what insurance might be like compared to the FJR?
Lee
Triumph Speed Triple 1000 bucks. Fjr 600 bucks per annum. get an 07 S3 and have a blast.

So many bikes, so little time. Don't forget to look at the Ducatis while you're deciding.

I'll be getting the Aprilia. I was worried about the insurance, but it's actually $100 a year LESS than the FJR.

Lee

I'll be getting the Aprilia. I was worried about the insurance, but it's actually $100 a year LESS than the FJR.
Lee

Again congrats and welcome to the Aprilia family!

Dude, missed this....

Sorry to hear about the dealer situation, that sorta blows. The Brutale is just fantastic. i've got the S, there is an R out if that isn't fast enough. But the S I have scares the shit out of me....and I love it!

Biggest gripe from most people is the twitchy throttle, which is sorta normal-ish for the newer MVs. or most any FI I4 to some extent. Seating position is awesome. Wind protection doesn't exist. It's not made for cruising down the highway. Still, 100mph is not hard to get to, gets tiring staying there.

And of course it looks the absolute business. The Tuono look/colors don't do it for me, but I have heard good reviews. I'd think about it, but since I've got the Brute, no real point. I'd even look at the KTM SuperDuke as well if I needed to do it all over again.

And if i did do it all over again, i'd still have the MV.

Just can't beat shots like this with that rear wheel and exhaust.... (on my first ride out, so mad chicken strips at that point....):

ef532e68.jpg

-colin

Thanks for all of the replies. I actually like the looks of the MV a little better too, but the distance to the dealer is a deal killer for me. The more I read about both of them also leads me to believe the Tuono is the better bike for me.

Lee

cool. BTW -- a billion years ago I wrote an article on how to de-restrict the 2000 mille.

I googled it... it's still alive and well -- but now on some french website:

Clicky