Twisties in the Rain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I slid out (bike down) before on a tight ess-turn in saturated conditions a few years back, it wasn't on my FJR as I didn't own one yet but still scared the crap out of me. My leg was ripped up pretty good, I kinda did a slide like stealing home base with the bike perfectly skidding on the framwork, sliders and my left leg. So I'm gun shy on wet twisty's and even a little gun shy (still) on dry twisties (like when I really have to lay the bike over and I feel the foot peg pivot up). Let's just say it raises my attention level and the helpless feeling that I had that day. So for me; rain + twisties = girlie mode. (and no offense ladies, I know most of u can drive ur socks off!)
Yeah...just try following Iris in the rain
Followed her in dry twisties up in the 'Dacks this past June. Iris is an awesome rider. Her small lightweight build is a huge advantage over us big/tall guys. Actually all of my small(er) friends (who are strong) have this same advantage in all of my powersporting especially snowmobiling. I guess probably most noticeably would be horse jockey's, picture me at 6-4 238lbs on "Zippy Chippy". Guess the horse would have to be renamed just "Chippy" :rolleyes:
So yer saying she's faster just because she's smaller, eh? ;)
Dah, that would be a "no". Nothing mentioned about faster (although she probably is!). From what I saw she has excellent technique/skillset. Her size and weight is a huge advantage and that is what was mentioned. Anybody in any kind of powersports and/or racing knows this 10-fold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this answer your question?

4415529489_32db0fcfc4_o.jpg

yezzir, that it does. while it is still a controlled situation with limited variables, it certainly does establish a baseline for what kind of traction is possible. street-like surface (in terms of material, as opposed to track surface), presumably street tires, a heavy sport touring bike, natural distribution of water, and way more lean that I would ever attempt in those conditions.

" I now take corners in the rain more upright than Mary Poppins." That's funny.

I suggest you attend as many FJR events as possible. Eventually you should get the

opportunity to follow some seasoned FJR owners in the rain like I did. It helped my

dry road riding as well. I do think extra care should be taken on roads that have not seen

rain for awhile. Some suggest a 10% decrease in traction during rain. Think I might pad

that a bit but that's just me. Had the rear step out on me right as a rain started a few tires ago.

I want to blame that damn tire but in truth I probably grab just a little more throttle than I should of.

Now I have this image of being passed in the rain by Mary Poppins, Thanks a bunch. :angry:

I was hoping someone would appreciate that.

I've never been extremely confident in the rain. Its not because I don't trust my bike. Its because I don't trust the roads. That picture above is cool, but was done either in a closed course or where the pavement was known.

The hardest I have ridden in the wet was EOM 2009 when I was following JamesK, MrTwisty, FUBAR, and WellsJ all around eastern Tennessee in nearly constant rain. I knew of they could stick in the turns, so could I.

What I'm saying is, if I am on a track that's known to have clean pavement, going fast isn't that hard. Out on the road where God only knows how much oil or antifreeze is coming up is a different story.

I'd rather run a little slower than eat shit. YMMV.

I'm with you, Zilla!

All it takes is one 18 wheeler with a loose or missing fuel cap to spread a bit of diesel in the corner and absolutely RUIN your day.

A bit of common sense in the wet is a good survival instinct, plus at my age, I heal too slowly now! :eek:

Don

HRZ makes a great point. Even dry roads can give us nasty surprises. Imagine that oil patch on a freshly-moistened curve.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you guys are missing the point. Nobody here is advocating trying to scrape pegs or ride 90% on the street in the rain, the goal is to find a happy medium where you are not all tensed up and riding like you are on ice. Of course treat wet roads with respect and restraint, but don't be afraid of them.

And I would hope than even the biggest idiot on a motorcycle would know that *fresh* rainfall is most dangerous and requires elevated levels of caution.

Thanks, Scoot, for getting the point exactly. Just looking to find a relaxing, comfortable, confident, and safe pace for cornering in the rain, and eliminating what seems to be a downward spiral in confidence which I think becomes more dangerous than anything else. Some basic knowledge of wet traction limits is just the foundation for adding in all the other variables and dynamics come in to play, which I have no desire to test. I certainly dont aim to ride twisties in the rain, but sometimes you end up there, and I'd like to at least feel safe and confident in carrying on with my day. At this point I definitely feel like I'm riding on ice, but that is likely due to the 'trauma' of the oil slick, rather than the rain, but it's hard to separate the two mentally.

I think I had the 'Total Control' book way back when I started to ride, and lent it out to a buddy and never got it back. (He ended up dumping his bike into a curb in his neighborhood within his first month, not wearing any gear, thrashing up his leg and arm, and decided bikes were too dangerous for him. Probably a good move, but I dont think he cracked the book.) I'll have to order up another copy. I think I'll definitely take one of the Total Control ARC courses coming up this fall too.

Wow, I am glad this topic was brought up as I has my most recent experience in the rain today and I will admit that I got a little spooked for a minute. I rode from Ft. Sill OK to McKinney TX this afternoon. It was raining just about the whole time, but I decided to take the back roads home just like I normally do when it is dry. Anyway while taking several sweeping turns on the way home I felt both the front and the rear wiggling around some. No huge stepping out or anything, but maybe 2-4 inches multiple times in a corner. It was not raining hard at all, but the road (asphalt) did have just a wee bit of standing water where cars had worn grooves. Very minor though. I just rode through it and slowed down a bit even though I wasn't going very fast to begin with. I couldn't help but think that my tires were somewhat to blame (shinko 005, on bike when I bought it) and that something like some pr3's would probably help. I was in the center of the lane in between the grooves so I wasn't in standing water, but I was still moving around quite a bit. It sure made me pretty nervous and I slowed down, but I do wish i had a better idea of what the limits really were in the rain. I was very surprised at how much the bike was moving for so little water, it was slick looking asphalt though. The Teknics suit worked perfectly however so it was still an enjoyable ride. I was bone dry when I got home.

...I couldn't help but think that my tires were somewhat to blame (shinko 005, on bike when I bought it) and that something like some pr3's would probably help...
Definitely get yourself a decent tire that can lean as much as the FJR wants to. Shinkos are a hard rubber tire with less grip.

... It was not raining hard at all, but the road (asphalt) did have just a wee bit of standing water where cars had worn grooves. Very minor though. ..
This is one of the Worst type of Wet Road conditions that most under estimate for a couple of reasons- Oil Residues (pool) have not been washed off the road and riders think that Light Rain is closer to dry road conditions than a heavier rain condition.

So it is best to use extra caution under these conditions...

Yea, it was pretty sketchy as the front and rear were wiggling around, I kind of wondered about the lack of wash-off. I was nervous, but not super nervous as it never felt like it was going to go out from under me, it was just moving around. I am definatly going to look at the PR3's when these tires are getting thin.

first of all,why would you choose to ride in the rain.if caught in it sure,shit happens.if your riding and want to haul ass like theres no rain can i have 1st choice on parts off your fucked up motorcycle and if you die please let your woman know we want parts.just saying.

first of all,why would you choose to ride in the rain.if caught in it sure,shit happens.if your riding and want to haul ass like theres no rain can i have 1st choice on parts off your fucked up motorcycle and if you die please let your woman know we want parts.just saying.
That's the most asinine thing I've heard on this Forum. WTF? You have a sportstourer and you're not gonna ride in the rain? How am I supposed to take a LD trip if I can never ride in the rain? :blink:

What do you think that fairing is for anyways? I suppose none of your gear has a rain liner? Jeez, the Kali people sure must be spoiled by all the sunshine. If the Northwet riders never rode in the rain, they'd never be able to plan rides...ever.

Time for me to put the coffee cup down and do some bike maintenance...this comment just beats all. :D

... It was not raining hard at all, but the road (asphalt) did have just a wee bit of standing water where cars had worn grooves. Very minor though. ..
This is one of the Worst type of Wet Road conditions that most under estimate for a couple of reasons- Oil Residues (pool) have not been washed off the road and riders think that Light Rain is closer to dry road conditions than a heavier rain condition.

So it is best to use extra caution under these conditions...
This happened to me coming back from SFO last year. I wasn't raining at the time, but the roads were wet from a recent one. A few spots were pooled. I was riding moderately and not that fast when the rear decided to step out on me in a mild curve. Pucker factor jumped to 10. Luckily I was going a reasonable enough speed that it came back and I got it back under control. Strange stuff. You just never know.

GP

When it rains I always remember that no one's paying me 6 or 7 figure bonuses to win a race, there are no corner checkers, and no on-call ambulances within eye sight.

I then slow down and ride like it's raining since I have nothing to prove and a family back home.

I had to grab a little brake for a car pulling out in front of me, that I actually probably put more friction on the tire doing just that, than I do when taking easy to moderate corners. I probably have lots more traction available
the real trick is understanding that you may not have enough traction for both at the same time because of conditions.

it's easier to be a few minutes late than it is to be a few months in recovery.

Just looking to find a relaxing, comfortable, confident, and safe pace for cornering in the rain, and eliminating what seems to be a downward spiral in confidence which I think becomes more dangerous than anything else.
Well, why didn't you say so? That's easy!

Slow down.

When it rains I always remember that no one's paying me 6 or 7 figure bonuses to win a race, there are no corner checkers, and no on-call ambulances within eye sight.

I then slow down and ride like it's raining since I have nothing to prove and a family back home.

I had to grab a little brake for a car pulling out in front of me, that I actually probably put more friction on the tire doing just that, than I do when taking easy to moderate corners. I probably have lots more traction available
the real trick is understanding that you may not have enough traction for both at the same time because of conditions.
No shit, sherlock. way to reply with insinuation and pretense and not actually help out with the question/topic at hand; with all that gum-flapping, it sounds as though you do have something to prove. how about you talk about the relative amounts of traction available for cornering and braking given different surface conditions?

it's easier to be a few minutes late than it is to be a few months in recovery.

Just looking to find a relaxing, comfortable, confident, and safe pace for cornering in the rain, and eliminating what seems to be a downward spiral in confidence which I think becomes more dangerous than anything else.
Well, why didn't you say so? That's easy!

Slow down.
Holy SHIT, there sure are some thick skulls on this here FJR Forum. Don't know how many times the point has to be made that the problem isn't coming DOWN from speed, it's that I'M TOO F'ING SCARED to have any lean angle WHATSOEVER when RIDING IN THE RAIN after having slipped on oil! All I DO is ride slow, TOO slow. Cant you guys read? The problem is getting UP to speed, a reasonable, safe, logical, non-asshole-trying-to-be-a-squid-by-'hauling ass'-in-the-rain-like-an-idiot speed, such that i can confidently carry on with my day and not cause a back-up in traffic. Thus the remarks about 'feeling like riding on ice', and 'riding more upright than Mary Poppins'. This is amazing. I'm interested in a discussion on traction, not amateur BS comments that have no contributing value. Sorry to flame out on your post, Bounce, but most of the responses including yours have just completely missed the point, assume they are talking to some young squid trying to scrape peg in the rain, and reply with a completely useless "well, slow the F down, then". If i went any slower, I wouldnt be moving! Not to mention the asshole talking about '1st choice on your parts'. What a dick-bag. With the few sensical and helpful replies, I think I am good to just work my way back up on my own. Thanks anyway.

Well I'm not going to get into the riff-raff on this thread...

But I can say I have slide-out uncontrollably with a rain drenched tight turn. It was a left that I will never forget. My leg got scraped and ripped up and it seemed like I slid "unhelp-less" for a long distance. It wasn't as long a slide after it was all done and I looked at it but I know one thing, I hated the feeling and never want to experience it again. Ever since, I go into "girlie mode" in the rain and especially when turns come upon me. Not saying I go limp but it sure raises my attention up and throttle down. So on a dry road (twisty type) and the sign says 'Turn ahead 20 mph', I feel nothing of taking it 40 or maybe even more (like pretty much everybody here). Now when it's wet, I probably take it 20 as the sign says or maybe even 5 or more less :lol:

Riding it the Rain.

How about a quote from Hunter S. Thompson on that one.

"The Edge.........there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"

I've gone down on wet pavement. Now, like the OP, I'm scared $hitless and although I'm getting a tad better (it's been 18 months or so), quite frankly, when I'm in the twisties and the rain starts, I'm going to ride slowly and very conservativelyuntil I find suitable cover and wait it out. On the slab or straight and open rural roads - I'll ride in a frog strangler.

I know it's mental - but when you're not having fun, it's time to stop.

measurable advantage of the Dark Side :)

You Darkside the "front" tire? Whoa! :D

Hey, I can control the back tire in the rain...it's washing out the front that I worry about. :)

(Or what were you thinking? I've heard that the DS tire pushes the front around...not something I would like in the rain.)

Anyways, if you ride twisties in the rain...you ride like gramma for a little bit and slowly push it a little bit until you feel the little wiggle. Then you back it off and go at that pace...unless you like the wiggle...then you go at that pace.

The best way to get over your fear of riding in the rain is to ride in it alot...get over your fear, get used to it. I'm sure the northwet riders are some of the best wet weather FJR riders because they ride in it and get used to it.

Holy SHIT, there sure are some thick skulls on this here FJR Forum....
Whoa! That came out of left field and got horribly nasty quickly. Thread closed with some behind the scenes reminders about basic forum rules with Mr. 6 Posts. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.