Two-wheeler for wife

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZSteve

Reaction score
Hi,

When my wife was in the dealer showroom picking up her new helmet she walked over to a Harley and said she wants one. I've done some searches here but came up zip. If anybody knows some threads with bike recommendations for ladies who want to steer their own ride, I'd appreciate it.

From that HUGE market out there-does anyone know of a ride that is really popular, especially for someone 5-05 tall, including the new asia built scooters. Maybe some magazine did a comparison directed at women.

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't like any heavy bike once she saw what happens when it tilts too much, and many sport bikes and dual purpose bikes may be too extreme. Fortunately she agreed we wouldn't buy anything until she got her license.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,When my wife was in the dealer showroom picking up her new helmet she walked over to a Harley and said she wants one. I've done some searches here but came up zip. If anybody knows some threads with bike recommendations for ladies who want to steer their own ride, I'd appreciate it.

From that HUGE market out there-does anyone know of a ride that is really popular, especially for someone 5-05 tall, including the new asia built scooters. Maybe some magazine did a comparison directed at women.

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't like any heavy bike once she saw what happens when it tilts too much, and many sport bikes and dual purpose bikes may be too extreme. Fortunately she agreed we wouldn't buy anything until she got her license.

Thanks in advance.
My wife is 5'2" and rides a Honda 750 Shadow. It is full of power, shaft drive, the seating is very low and allows her to put both feet on the ground and she loves it. I have pictures I can send if you like. I believe that the bike is basically designed for a woman.

Steve my wife is 5'4" and rides a Suzuki GS500F. I lowered it for her about an inch. It is her first bike and she feels more control on it than she felt with the cruisers on which she took the MSF course. You can pick them up used pretty much everywhere and they are a good starter bike. Also the colour matched her helmet...one must have priorities! :)

gypsy

My wife is 5'2" and rides a Honda 750 Shadow. It is full of power, shaft drive, the seating is very low and allows her to put both feet on the ground and she loves it. I have pictures I can send if you like. I believe that the bike is basically designed for a woman.
As a woman rider, when I first started out I wanted something small to learn on that wouldn't be too heavy/cumbersome (and it's more than likely she will drop it somewhere along the way ;) ). I started out on a Suzuki GZ250 and it was a blast to ride... I often wish I'd kept it for toodling around the backroads. Granted it didn't break any land speed records up hill but it went everywhere I wanted to go, even to Reno for Street Vibrations! The Honda Rebel is another good starter bike as well. I got the speech "but you'll outgrow it quickly so get something bigger." But I figured if I outgrew it I could always trade up and the smaller bikes have great resale value.

The Shadow was my 2nd bike and that is a good one as well if she really wants to start on something bigger. :2cents

My wife took the MSC and got her license at 52 years old (She had rode dirt bikes in the past). We went bike shopping, and she decided on a Honda 750 Shadow Aero. It has one of the lowest seat heights available and shaft drive. She loves it. I tried to get her to look at a Harley, but once she tried the Shadow, that was it.

I have also heard of quite a few women starting out on the Suzuki Savage..

Its a 650 single so the weight is preaty low.

My wife also started with the Kawasaki 440. I think it was about a mid 80s model

The Kawasaki Vulcan 500 and the Yamaha VStar 650 are both excellent choices as well. My wife has the Vulcan and it is as slow or as fast as you want. It basically has the Ninja 500 engine in it (although it has a few less ponies) and it spins up nicely. If you shift through the 6 speed fast enough, the bike is pretty quick. Unfortuantely, my wife likes to take it nice and slow. :(

My wife is just starting out. She picked a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It runs well. I could tell as it ran over me.

Kawasaki Ninja 650R -- 2 cylinder, new bike and engine in '06 -- lots of bang for the buck, can find a used '06 for a reasonable price.

Hi,When my wife was in the dealer showroom picking up her new helmet she walked over to a Harley and said she wants one. I've done some searches here but came up zip. If anybody knows some threads with bike recommendations for ladies who want to steer their own ride, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
My wife just took the MSF course and we just bought her a 2005 Suzuki SV650. She's 5'8", but we will probably put on some lowering links for her. A lot of std bikes have this option as an aftermarket accessory. We opted to go with this bike, even though we discussed starting on say a Suzuki GS500, because she would be able to grow into the bike, rather than getting a bike to small and upgrading down the road. Also - man once she saw the SV650... it was no turning back for her!

Many boards, many topics and many folks out there have info regarding finding a bike for a newbie female rider. You should be able to get tons o' information.

Good Luck

Scott

Try the Triumph Bonneville. Light, low the the ground, and handles quite well.

My wife has been eyeballing the Ducati 695. It fit her perfectly. Her height is 5-6.

Gunny on the SV 650- I picked one up as a beater and man its fun-only draw back is weak suspension but I am 250# ;) ......Upgrades are a plenty and quite reasonable. Give it a look see. Also a Suzuki M50 is fun, fuel injected, shaft drive, and pretty mean lookin... Good Luck.

https://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycles_for_short_riders.htm[/url]
Try this link.

Everyone has been very helpful, but this link hit the bullseye. Someone put in a lot of work to compile this list. I will pass it on to my fellow motorcycle club members in their newsletter for their spouses to see.

Thanks.

Also the Triumph Speedmaster and America. They only weigh about 500 lbs and are easy to lower.

Only 800cc engines, but tons of info, and pretty decent pickup.... :)

small enuf to learn on and big enuf that she'll keep it for a while.

Handles way better than the Hondas or Yamaha V*'s, BTJMHO! (I've have a Honda VTX1300, and a V*1100)

Not an FJR, but nothing else is! <BG>

https://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/

mary