UK's bike magazine ranks FJR 2nd to last

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it...I'm sellin my FJR.
I can't ride it if other people don't like it. ;)
+1

I can't afford to sell my AE, but I won't be able to ride it in daylight knowing that a British motomag dissed it. I would just be too ashamed when all those people in cages looked at me, then looked at each other and said, "Poor guy. The FJR came in FOURTH."

How much happier and prouder I would be if it had come in second.

As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to buy the bike that came in first, then proudly ride it home, hoping that the final drive doesn't leak before I get there.

When I dump the FJR, though, I'm going to keep my hard-case liners, which were included with the FJR.

I subscribe to Bike and TWO magazines, both from the U.K. The mags have remained relatively consistent. They never have cared much for the FJR. The '05 FJR came out at the bottom of a 3 bike shoot-out in both magazines. They found it sluggish handling around town, and even though they criticize the handling of the Honda 1300 even more, the Honda came out above the FJR.(?) In fact, they disliked the FJR so much in the past that I was surprised that it came out on top with 2 writers. However, the motorcycle taxi companies in England have chosen the FJR as their main ride.

As another poster stated, the BMW is much less expensive in the U.K., with prices the same or even lower than the FJR.

These U.K. writers tend to be much more critical than the U.S. mags. When they don't like a bike, they will say so in no uncertain terms. They certainly are unpredictable. In the last year, they have bombed the BMW1200GS and praised a Harley Sportster 1200!

Ron

<snip>The magazine, which is the only bike mag I feel worth reading has the following test results-1st BWM 1200RT

2nd BMW 1200GT

3rd Honda ST1300

4th Yamaha FJR1300

Last Kawi GTR 1400

I encourage you to pick up a copy and read it
Well, I took your advice and got a copy of BIKe Jan 2008; and read the comparison test that crowned 'The King of Grand Touring'. Here are a few, selected, excerpts (verbatim):

BMW R1200RT SE:

The old aicooled design dates back to the 1920s; BMW have had plenty of time to get it right.

It has more disadvantages over just about any other engine configuration this side of a four-stroke single than I can count....

It's still got a crummy gearbox ...And it looks minging (cheap)....

...the engine is both too asthmatic and over-tuned for my liking; on one hand it runs out of puff above 120 mph and takes conspicuously longer to get there than the others, and on the other it feels highly strung, hunting on part throttle and with too many dips and blips in the power delivery.

...the best bike here for sitting for long, long hours on a motorway (slab). And that's the only thing that saves it from being last in my opinion because in every other situation I can't stand it.

The stupid switchgear had me hitting the horn instead of the indicators (turnsignals), and not being able to find high beam put me in a bad mood. You just don't need the hassle.

It might be a brilliant tourer but it sucks as a motorcycle.

Yamaha FJR1300A:

It's the only bike I'd seriously contemplate owning. It's streets ahead in terms of what I want from a bike and I'll gladly trade off a few less than perfect touring aspects for what it gives me back.

...it sweeps round corners like a proper motorbike, not all this fancy funny front end stuff of the BMWs.

There's nothing basically wrong with the FJR, and it has a plain, simple, old school appeal that's refreshing after the fussy complication of the BMWs.

...great engine, loads of power, good gearbox, excellent brakes, good mirrors, no vibes, easy to adjust seat with lots of comfort, good clocks (gauges, instruments).

And it's the only one I'd be happy to get a bit sporty on.

It's the best bike here by a gnat's chuff (fart?).

So, there you have it -- the 'King of Grand Touring' was apparently decided by droning down Europe's super-slabs? And, according to BIKe's editors, the BMWs are the least flawed in that venue --big windshields and light/easy throttles.

It was an interesting read with a controversial (imo) out-come. :rolleyes:

I must say that part of the reason I posted this shootout, when I generally disregard shootouts, is because the performance data is very complete and interesting. For instance, I always assume that an FJR could "take" a k1200gt. Not so. The GTR and K1200gt are much faster and faster, respectively. Damn copyright laws, I would love to post it all for the forum and get some good feedback.
Copyright laws generally restirct copying for money. The concept of "fair use" allows reasonable quoting so long as appropriate credit is given. You won't run afoul of any laws by quoting here from the article.

That settles it... I'm selling this POS FJR... I can't stand to have the second to last finisher in a British bike magazine review in my garage.... :rolleyes: