Under seat power wiring harness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
NAPA Heat Shield tubing as discussed on other post used as a jacket. I learned and would highly recommend to slide three(3) 1/2" rubber grommets onto the jacket before threading it through the bike or making up the ends. There are a couple areas where thin plastic, thin aluminum, or sharp steel edges are encountered. I used some pieces of innertube and tie-wraps to wrap the jacket where it passes by the engine mounts on the frame sides.

p0001274.jpg

Wire jacket, #10 red(positive 12v), #10 black(negative 12v), #18 Blue(Headlight/Grip Warmer circuit), #18 Yellow(Auxiliary circuit), Electrician's snake for threading through the jacket. Remove as much curl as possible from the wires then lay it all out flat on the garage floor to thread the wires through. Everything fit very nicely inside the 1/2" jacket and it's pre-powdered for easy threading.

p0001272.jpg

I chose to run the harness down the right side of the bike. I would have preferred to run my rear harness parallel to the stock/main harness, but things were just too cramped IMO. There are some contact/abrasion points that should be addressed. I wrapped some areas in rubber innertube secured with tie wraps, used rubber grommets in at other places.

p0001282.jpg

Whacking off the ground leg of a good quality 4-wire trailer plug, leaves three connections that can be parallel connected to the black/ground wire leading directly to the battery. Even though I bought an Electrical Connections grounding block, I felt it was overkill and just too large for my application. The trimmed trailer plug is, IMO, a better and more practical solution, not to mention a lot cheaper.

The yellow wire goes "hot" when the switch is turned on and is parallel with the jack in the glove box, 3-amp capacity. That wire is currently unused and therefore coiled and stubbed for future expansion if desired. This also gives me the option of using it as a signal, although the blue tail light wire is readily available in the same area.

p0001280.jpg

A look at the finished install.

Lower Left - Battery charger lead wired to a 2-pin plug and capped with, E-Gads!, a Harley Davidson cap. Exposed metal male portion is ground, so it doesn't matter if it touches the frame. But the HD plug trims things out nicely. BTW, I was told that HD Dealers throw these things away all the time, because they get an extra one with every battery charger hookup kit. This plug uses the normally-closed relay connection and goes live when the ignition is turned off. Also wired a matching connector to my air compressor that's carried under the seat.

Upper Left - Relay is tucked away under the center strap and is mounted using an aluminum pop-rivet to the fender. Learned something, relay mounting tab will not withstand the pressure of the pop rivet expansion and it split before the rivet popped. Luckily it is still flexible enough to stay put, even though the tab is split open. Next time I would drill a larger hole in the mounting tab and use a small flat washer to line the opening, then a larger flat washer to cap things off.

Upper Center - 30 amp fuse block supplied with the kit. Positive wire to the battery connects here. I added a 14-gauge fusible link to the battery post end as a failsafe in case of wire failure or catastrophic event.

Upper Right - As supplied, the Electrical Connections block has six(6) connections with a connector/tap in the middle. I opened it up and cut away one side with three connections. I cannot foresee ever needing more than three(3) circuits with the limited FJR available power. The trimmed block fits nicely on one of the fender "flats" and was mounted with black silicone adhesive.

p0001278-1.jpg

Peeking under the straps for a better look:

p0001279.jpg

Overhead view showing the air compressor:

p0001284.jpg

One more look with the tire repair kit in place:

p0001285.jpg

Excellent job. I like the creative use of the trailer connector. And those are the best pics I've seen for routing the harness to the rear.

Too bad I already finished. ;) Since I was hooking up very few farkles (driving lights, two power outlets), I kept everything up front. I think you'll be glad you did this work now, though.

Jeff,

Thanks for the great pics. That air compressor looks like it fits well under the seat. Do you remember the brand name on it. I am getting ready to take off my panels and start farkeling. The way everyone seems to pick up nails and screws, including me, I would feel more comfortable having a compressor than just the CO2 cans.

Thanks,

Jim

That air compressor looks like it fits well under the seat. Do you remember the brand name on it. I am getting ready to take off my panels and start farkeling. The way everyone seems to pick up nails and screws, including me, I would feel more comfortable having a compressor than just the CO2 cans.
My memory is actually shorter than my... never mind!

Luckily it's only a short step to the garage. Brand is BONaire, rated at 250 psi. I'm pretty sure I purchased it at either AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts. I remember looking around at WalMart and several places looking for the perfect small compressor. There were a lot of people on the forum stripping the housing off another brand. I just didn't want to do that.

I also bought one of the monster CO2 cartridge kits on clearance. One flat on the front in the cold, where my fingers didn't work so well, and it took two big cartridges to inflate that puppy. Replacement cost was outrageous so I went in hot pursuit of the compressor. Have used it twice since. The first time was on the same day I wired it with a PowerLet plug to fit my 05. Intended to "test" it in the garage but never got the chance. A 16-penny finishing nail took care of that task for me later that night.

Compressor is the only way to go IMHO. I think the cost was like $12-15.

Thanks, I'll pick one up tomorrow. Riding unprepared means sitting on the side of the road. I appreciate your response.

Jim