Undergarment for Saddlesore 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantasticJohnR

Reaction score
I am not sure which forum I have seen this on before, could some of you Iron Butt riders suggest some summer undershorts to wear under my vented pants. I am heading from Austin to sante Fe in a couple weeks to qualify for the saddlesore 1000.

Thanks for your suggestions (or links to previous posts).

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the "under-armor" type shorts work. The Nike brand fits me best, but I have a couple of others that also do the job. Most of the "Sports-in-a-box" stores have their own brand (Sports Authority, Sports Chalet, REI, etc.), IIRC, even Walmart...

I suggest you liberally powder your rear end with some Anti Monkey Butt power before taking off and then renew the application during the ride. Use of the powder will lessen the chance of saddle sores. Great stuff. It makes long distance riding much more comfortable.

The powder is carried by most good dirt bike stores or here:

www.antimonkeybutt.com

John F.

I am not sure which forum I have seen this on before, could some of you Iron Butt riders suggest some summer undershorts to wear under my vented pants. I am heading from Austin to sante Fe in a couple weeks to qualify for the saddlesore 1000.
Thanks for your suggestions (or links to previous posts).

John
Yamaha provides an FJR-Specific solution to this problem. Note that the product uses "Alpha-X8 wicking technology" to assure a dry ride. Good luck!

Note that the product uses "Alpha-X8 wicking technology" to assure a dry ride.
I think I'd prefer a wet ride, but thanks anyway. :rolleyes:
I am happy to hear you are planning on joining the Ironbutt group. I don't know your age or general health but I can tell you that the 1000 is not as tough as you may think. If you are worried about heat, I would recommend riding the majority at night on an interstate system. I doubt you will need to worry about undergarments to complete this ride if you are in fair shape. I had time enough to grab 4 hours of sleep at a hotel and still make the qualification.

This is just my opinion, but I am 55 years old and I did it two up with a trailer, so I hope this gives you some positive re-enforcement for your qualification ride.

Let me know how it goes for you .

LD Comfort riding shorts. They also make full length I like to wear under mesh, no exposed skin and also good under jeans for colder riding. The are specially made for LD riding. I have been riding in these for three years with no monkey butt. Quick shipping and excellent customer service. I ordered the wrong size, they immediately shipped the correct size and when they received the wrong size credited my credit card.

I am 42 and hope your right that I won't have too much trouble.

My concern is that the days here have been near 100 degrees and that I want to make sure I have some good seam free- wick away type shorts to keep me comfy all day long!

Thanks to all that have replied for the links and advice.

John

IIRC, if you stay within the borders of one state, there is a separate pin for that. Good luck.

For the ride to WFO5 I tried a pair of the 8.99 cheapies from WalMart. Worked just fine. They have flat seams. Some folks recommend the kind without seams, but it seems that my butt wasn't that sensitive, the cheapies worked fine for me. I'll probably try a different pair for my next LD ride just to see whats available/different. Haven't been to the point where I felt like I needed the 'MonkeyButt' powder, I always just stand on the pegs for a few minutes, seems to work OK...

Good luck on your SS1K. Tunes & earplugs seemed to help keep me from getting too drowsy during my rides last year. If you are a coffee drinker like I am, wean yourself off of coffee a few days before the ride, get a good sleep before you start, and get a coffee at the 800 mile point if you need it. That and some jumping jacks, along with on the bike exercises worked great for me. YMMV etc etc

Post up a ride report when you get done!

B000AL6PP8.01-A14QLLPH6MDC2Z._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1122080498_.jpg

I just picked up some Russel Athletic DryPower pants from Sports Authority for $14. Worked great under the stich for a couple hundred miles last weekend in 90+deg sun and 80+deg rain and they look "normal" when you take the 'stich off (if normal people wear big leather boots with running pants).