Unusual wear pattern on front tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMG

Reaction score
Guys, need some help. I have an 08, w/ 4K miles. The bike came with Bridgestone tires. The rear is fine (not even close to the wear mark in the groove). But the front tire is a different story. The set up: picture a clock, 9 and 3 are the outter most edges of the tire. Conventional wisdom says that most of the wear will occur at the midline. However, most of my were (given the above) is occuring at 7 to 8 and 4 to 5. Has anyone experienced the same?

Normal.

Mostly straight line riding will result in heaviest wear just to the right and left of center on this type of bike.

Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
Very typical problem with the front 021's. Do some searching in the NEPRT section and you'll find many references. When the 'stones are gone, spoon on some PR2's and enjoy...

--G

You're lucky you even got 4k out of those POS BT021's. I only got 3000 before the front OEM tire was shredded. Second tire was a BT020 that apparently used to come stock on the FJR. That one started cupping after only about 1000 miles even though I kept the pressure at 40 psi. I did get 7000 miles out of them though. Just had the PR2 front that I got from the group buy here a while ago. Ah, the joy of new shoes! The neutral handling is back again. Will keep the front at 40 psi and see how it goes.

QUOTE (CMG @ May 20 2009, 04:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guys, need some help. I have an 08, w/ 4K miles. The bike came with Bridgestone tires. The rear is fine (not even close to the wear mark in the groove). But the front tire is a different story. The set up: picture a clock, 9 and 3 are the outter most edges of the tire. Conventional wisdom says that most of the wear will occur at the midline. However, most of my were (given the above) is occuring at 7 to 8 and 4 to 5. Has anyone experienced the same?

I used to like the Bridgestone fronts. But after replacing two at 4000 odd miles, and now the third, it's at last sinking into my thick skull that these are not suitable for the FJR.

This is what mine looked like just before I replaced it (click on any image for larger view)

Note in the 1st piccy the chamfered wear, just like you describe.

For the last 1000 miles it felt as if I was riding on a very uneven road, jiggling about. Tipping in to a corner was unsettling, once in the corner it required continual countersteering. Generally it was not confidence inspiring.

I've changed it for an Avon, initially feels so much better (but then the Bridgestone did when it was new).

No complaints on the rear BT021. Lasts me about 5000 miles, normally feels good. (Once let go, but I think that was my fault
sad.gif
).

Last edited by a moderator:
All this sound very familiar. I thought the Bridgestones were the worst tire I've had on my 2 FJR's. Currently running PR2's and with 3,000 miles on them. I can say I think I like them, but it's hard to really tell at this point. I just had them rebalanced because another dealership did a crappy job of balancing them when they balanced them. They would start shaking pretty bad starting at 80mph. Haven't had them over 80 since the rebalance. Anyway, won't run the Bridgestones again.

GP

Have the same stock tires on my 08 with 10K miles. Looking to buy new front tire thou the rear looks like new. What tire mfg did you end up with? In the old days it seemed like the rear tires (Dunlops and Continental) were replaced at a two to one ratio at least with other bikes I have owned.

I used to like the Bridgestone fronts. But after replacing two at 4000 odd miles, and now the third, it's at last sinking into my thick skull that these are not suitable for the FJR.

This is what mine looked like just before I replaced it [SIZE=8pt](click on any image for larger view)[/SIZE]

Note in the 1st piccy the chamfered wear, just like you describe.

For the last 1000 miles it felt as if I was riding on a very uneven road, jiggling about. Tipping in to a corner was unsettling, once in the corner it required continual countersteering. Generally it was not confidence inspiring.

I've changed it for an Avon, initially feels so much better (but then the Bridgestone did when it was new).

No complaints on the rear BT021. Lasts me about 5000 miles, normally feels good. (Once let go, but I think that was my fault :( ).

The wear pattern that you describe is pretty much a normal occurance, though seem,s to occur faster and more ferociously with the Bridgestones by most reports...

Some reading for you: Clicky

I concur with others here. My last set of tires were 'stone 021's and at 5,000 mi., fronts were done, rear still fine. Evidently, Dunlop Roadsmarts and Avon Storms will wear out the fronts well before the rears as well (for most people).

I'm now running Michelin Pilot Road 2's and at 5,000 miles, there's all kinds of good tread left with even wear. I don't experience any handling problems (as some suggest) and it's a great wet tire in the PNW. (my experience)

My bridgestone 021 front is junk. Back is doing great . Wont buy another set of bridgestones again. Sounds like michilan road pilot 2 is the way to go. Tires are a never ending pain in the ass. Had a goldwing and never had a set of tires i was really happy with.

I have a 09 FJR with just over 3000 miles, with the stock Bridgestones. I just got back from a 2400 mile ride and the front tire looks like it has a flat ridge right down the middle about 2 inches wide. I keep 40 psi in the tire and it is so bad that when you enter a left turn you have to maintain a lot of forward pressure on the left handle bar or the bike just wants to go straight. The same goes for right turns. I think the flat spot in the middle has caused the front end to shake bad when I slow below 40 mph. The shake only happens if I let go of the handle bars and gets really bad if you don't grap the grips. No shaking at high speed across the desert at 100+. This wasn't a problem when the tires were new.

Just from my own experience:

I am approaching 5k on my 09, and front bstone 021 is looking BAAAD, like described millions of times before , except x10. My rear looks ok, I guess.

I just did a 1600 miles, with unfortunately little more than half being slab.. I wonder if that helped or hurt.

I had these same tires on my FZ1. definitely wear out better on the fz, but not much.

I am not so sure that this is the tires fault, as much as it is the fault of the guy who thought these would be great for the FJR.

ok- now time to read about other tire reviews..