Upgrade brake line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't worry about replacing the lines on an '05 for a couple more years.

BUT, I would flush and replace the brake fluid every year, which is just good practice on any bike.
+1 :clapping:

No need to replace lines yet...just replace the fluid.

My 2004 is going strong with no sign of any issues with the stock lines. My bud's 03 is the same way.

I'm looking at the HEL lines... Canadian factory rep is here in Calgary, and he's a good fella to work with. I'm nowhere near enough of a rider to notice any difference, so the only reason I'd go with stainless is that I can get the stainless lines for the same price as the OEM ones.

Griff

I'm looking at the HEL lines... Canadian factory rep is here in Calgary, and he's a good fella to work with. I'm nowhere near enough of a rider to notice any difference, so the only reason I'd go with stainless is that I can get the stainless lines for the same price as the OEM ones.

Griff

So long as you don't mind making your own mounting brackets...

Griff

I haven't done this, nor do I want to, but why is there a need for mounting brackets? Don't the stainless lines just follow the same path as the OEM lines and use the same brackets, supports etc...? What am I missing.

Griff

I haven't done this, nor do I want to, but why is there a need for mounting brackets? Don't the stainless lines just follow the same path as the OEM lines and use the same brackets, supports etc...? What am I missing.
I don't think you are missing anything.

The only thing I did was zip tie a piece of hose around the ss line by the calipers to keep it from chafing. I have the Galfer two line kit on my 03.

On my first 2004 non-ABS FJR, I got the SS Brake lines back in 2008 that "mimicked" the OEM non-ABS configuration "2 lines that go into one line". The OEM lines had a " Y " fitting with an attachment bracket. The aftermarket lines were a " T " fitting with no attachment bracket.

You spend all that money on bling...then you have to do the trailer park bend yourself a piece of tin and attach it?? Just seems like the product didn't give you everything you needed to attach to the FJR IMO.

Not doing that " like OEM" arrangement again. :D

The OEM lines had a " Y " fitting with an attachment bracket. The aftermarket lines were a " T " fitting with no attachment bracket.
That's the part I was missing. So, can a person request the correct OEM configuration, or is it kind of 'luck of the draw' as to what you're gonna get? That would piss me off too. I don't care if the routing or whatever has to change, but at least supply the parts needed to effect the change.