Used FJR Price Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartan1984

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Barry and I'd just like to say hello. Special thanks to the moderators as well as member of this forum for allowing me to join. I'm a relative newcomer to the bike scene (currently ride a Piaggio MP3 Maxi-Scooter) and keenly interested in the FJR. We live in SoCal and the wifey and I went to a local dealer to look at a Kawasaki Concours...when we got there it had been sold...but as luck would have it, they had a 2007 FJR1300A sitting in the showroom. The bike has 12,000 miles on it and they want to sell it for $11,000. Bike is in great condition and I believe it has a Throttlemeister attached. The previous owner traded it in for a Honda Goldwing. So my question to you is, what would be a good price for this bike?

Sincerely,

Barry

Welcome from SoCal Barry.

Being a new comer to the bike seen, you may want to look into other lower cc bikes. The FeeJ being 1300cc's and well over 600#s, makes it a nasty bike to ride. DO you have any other riding experience? If so what type of bike etc?

Just want to get you set up on a nice bike for yourself, and that maybe an FJR or other.

Enjoy the forum.

Welcome from SoCal Barry.
Being a new comer to the bike seen, you may want to look into other lower cc bikes. The FeeJ being 1300cc's and well over 600#s, makes it a nasty bike to ride. DO you have any other riding experience? If so what type of bike etc?

Just want to get you set up on a nice bike for yourself, and that maybe an FJR or other.

Enjoy the forum.
Hi FJRBluesman,

Thank you so much for the welcome as well as the advice. I think what you mentioned (about the power) is one of the concerns my wife has regarding this bike. My only other experience has been on the Maxi-scooter I mentioned and it's only a 250cc. Been riding that for 1 1/2 years and thoroughly enjoy it. Looking to add to our collection for longer trips. Have taken the MSF course and have an M1 on my license (granted that doesn't give me the ok to go to a bigger bike). Would definitely take it easy before going all out on a bike like this.

Barry

Barry, my man. My middle name is Barry, a family name for generations in Mississippi and now Texas.

I just bought an '08 1300A with 2,700 miles for $9200. It is in excellent shape.

I have noticed that in the past three months, prices are really dropping. I took 6 months shopping ebay and craigslist before I found a good deal. Unless you are sold on the seller, you can prolly do better with a little patience.

God luck and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to the forum...

Honestly and would be regretful if we weren't....fjrbluesman had a great point and many would tell you.

250cc to a 1300cc is quite a jump....now my first was a 1000cc concours, so I don't have much room to talk. Should you possess the patience, riding maturity and physical prowess needed control this machine then go for it. (don't recommend though)

Point blank, the dealer is charging too much for this bike in which you speak. Look around on the net a bit and study the pattern of pricing on bikes before you believe a dealer who says his price is good....Not preaching on how to shop, but you asked.

Good luck in your search.

Welcome from SoCal Barry.Being a new comer to the bike seen, you may want to look into other lower cc bikes. The FeeJ being 1300cc's and well over 600#s, makes it a nasty bike to ride. DO you have any other riding experience? If so what type of bike etc?

Enjoy the forum.
Hi FJRBluesman,Thank you so much for the welcome as well as the advice. I think what you mentioned (about the power) is one of the concerns my wife has regarding this bike. My only other experience has been on the Maxi-scooter I mentioned and it's only a 250cc. Been riding that for 1 1/2 years and thoroughly enjoy it. Looking to add to our collection for longer trips. Have taken the MSF course and have an M1 on my license (granted that doesn't give me the ok to go to a bigger bike). Would definitely take it easy before going all out on a bike like this.

Barry
You've done the right things, MSF, etc. IMO you may want to start off with a 600 or 750 (Not a sport bike though) right around there, maybe even a twin. A twin has great torque and manageable power.
Maybe my wording of nasty was not correct, the FeeJ is an excellent bike, rides well and has good power when you want it. It's not a sport bike (handles pretty good though for a sport touring bike, in my biased opinion the best out there), but it is a heavier bike then the lower cc models. You may want to get used to that first and get more seat time under your belt before taking on a FeeJ.

It's awesome you're joining the ranks of the motorcycle enthusiasts. Enjoy, ride safe, and ask us plenty of questions, we're here to help.... Well some of us. :p ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Barry,

I have owned a 07 1300A like the one you are looking at and now have a 08 1300A. There were significant changes made in 08 that improved throttle control. My 07 had a very touchy throttle which made it difficult to ride the bike smooth, especially right off idle. I had to add a power commander and G2 throttle tube to tame the beast. Many others here have made those changes. My advise to you is to hold out for the 08. The 08 throttle is perfect and will not need any modifications. I paid 9K for my used 08. It's a lot of motorcycle for a new rider. The speed can take you by surprise and you can get into trouble real fast. Wait for the right one. Good luck.

I would ask the dealer if you can give it a ride and see what you think. I know a lot of dealers won't let you take test drives, but some still will.

I have a GSX 650F as well as my FJR and don't find the FJR any "harder" to ride, granted the FJR is a little heavier. Depending on your physical size the FJR may not be too much bike especially if you plan on riding two up in the future. One ride will give you an idea of your comfort level.

Throttle management to me is best on 08's and newer, that said, if you were a family member, I think I would try to steer you to a (shudder) Honda NT700V. I have been riding since 70-71 and worked my way up to 1100 goldwings, then Kaw Concours since spring of 87, have had 3 and considered them the best all around sport tourer when weather protection is considered. Currently still have my 04 Connie (do not like the new ones) but love my 08 FJR, superb bike but really a responsive sneaky fast bike and if you have not paid some dues on the way up it is not, in my opinion, something for a rookie to be playing with.

That price is too high. KBB list retail for a 2007 for $9,705. I paid $9K for my 06 with 5K on the odometer from Cycle Trader site. It came with a Corbin seat and Smuggler

Something about the FJR and "Barry"... I'm another Barry here, and I've seen at least three others on this site, though it hasn't been a popular name in a very long time!

Barry, I bought an '05 FJR1300 after a 20 year hiatus from motorcycles. My last bike was a Honda Hawk 750 or something in about 1988. Like you, I took the MSF course, read this forum like a student before making my buy, and bought my used bike for $7,400 or so with 12,000 miles, which at the time was a very, very good deal. I am certain that the FJR is the world's best bike for me. It has everything I need - windshield, sidebags, exceptional aesthetics, agility, not a Harley - and I had no interest in starting on a smaller bike. I'm a big guy. I didn't want to look any bigger on a smaller bike.

After my purchase (and since), I rode conservatively, took coaching from others, read of all the terrible accidents on this site and others to learn lessons and stay smart, and never carried a passenger until I'd ridden about 4,000 miles. I've been lucky so far not to have laid my bike down, but also pretty darned cautious. The power on this bike could put you out of control before you know it. Be especially careful in slowing and stopping. When the bike gets out of balance, you're in trouble. I've haven't dropped mine yet, despite some momentary stupidity, but it took some herculean strength to keep it upright.

An advantage that you'll have over me is your existing traffic sense. You already have a feel for what it's like in and around other vehicles. This bike will be vastly faster than your scooter, though, and far heavier, so you must be prepared for that.

As others have said, that dealer's bike is too expensive. Watch Craiglist, eBay and this forum's classifieds for reasonable deals. If you can afford a bike at $11,000, you should get a very nice, late model bike. (Not to sound disloyal, but Honda is now making a 700cc Sport Touring bike that looks nice.) {Jeezus, hope I won't be banned for that sacrilege here.}

Also, seriously consider the AE. I love my bike, but wish it had the clutchless shifting option instead, given the traffic I ride in.

Good luck,

Barry

I will only say that it takes practice......It is not a hard bike to ride(dont buy an AE)...

And 11K for an 07 tell them to put it where the sun don't shine. I bet you could buy a new for somewhere in the 13's right now.

Shop around.

And get used to it before you come riding with us as we don't usually take any prisoners.

R

Awesome, awesome comments and very much appreciated!!! To the other Barry's who've responded, a big hello to you :D . As was mentioned quite a few times, this is a big jump from a scooter to a bigger, faster, heavier vehicle. The good thing about what all have said is to be patient...and luckily I don't have to purchase at the moment. I have thought about renting bikes at least once a month to get a "feel" (e.g., practice) for the bigger bike and I know that will make the wifey happier :yahoo: . Another good point from the comments is that the dealer is charging too much for what he has in the showroom...definitely will keep your comments to myself when and if I deal with this dealership.

The scooters you've ridden are automatic (pretty sure on that). Going from an automatic to motorcycle with a clutch and gears is tough enough. Add a couple hundred pounds of weight, with a higher center of gravity, and 1000 more cc's of power, and it's a lot to tackle all at once.

I'm pretty new to biking too (have about 8 months of riding experience). I started on a suzuki boulevard, 800 cc's (a C50T to be exact). I bought it used, threw some crash bars on it, and had it tip over a LOT on me while practicing u-turns in parking lots. After about two months of riding (EVERYWHERE! I commuted to work, to the grocery store, I even went through a few drive-thru's picking up some food for dinner and storing it in the saddlebags!), I traded it in. Now for trading in, typically you get less than what you could sell it privately. I got about 300 dollars less than what I paid for it for trading it in. I traded it in on a honda 919 (1000 cc standard bike). So I went a few hundred pounds less, MUCH more get up and go. After a few months on that, I traded it in again for 500 less than what I bought it for (although I bought it brand new so depreciation DEFINITELY hit me), and got the FJR.

So I got the FJR after about 6000 miles of riding, and about 5 months.

Moral of my story, if I were you, I'd ride a different bike for a few thousand miles. I vote for cruiser because you can throw some crash bars on there, and save it from damage in minor tip-overs, or when you THINK you shifted into second, but really shifted into neutral and it falls over in the middle of a turn while you're TRYING to accelerate through it (NEVER happened.......). A little shopping around (you don't even need that much), and you'll find an older one at a low price, that you can sell after riding it for a few thousand miles for almost what you paid for it (or sometimes even more if you found a good deal). You'll be MUCH better prepared for an FJR as you'll have tackled the weight and clutch issues.

Then when you're ready for an FJR, it'll be a few months down the road, you can find a used one for a good price, take your time shopping cause you already HAVE a bike and don't feel the "need" as bad for a two-up bike cause you already have one. It'll give you some time to save up some more money to put towards the purchase.

And when you DO get one, take the time to ride it solo. I've heard about 1000 miles solo riding on different types of roads will give you a good feel for how it handles and you'll be better prepared to ride two-up on that bike.

And EXCELLENT job on taking those MSF courses. Keep it up, and when you do get a clutch bike (whether you decide to take the advice given about getting a smaller one first or not), get used to the bike solo, and take the experienced riders course with THAT bike. I intend on doing the experienced riders course solo in February (won't be too bad in TX), and a few years after that, I'll go through it again with my wife as a passenger and we'll do the course with her on the bike.

Alexi

You have gotten some barry, barry good advice here. :rolleyes:

$11K for a used '07A? I paid $11.8K for my '07A brand new, when it was the current model. That dealer is high, in more ways than one.

Barry,

cool, I started riding on a 2007 Vespa GTV250. I bought my 2007 FJR over a year ago and with 6,000 miles on it I love every minute on it. Go through the MSF course and you will enjoy your new ride!

Matt

The scooters you've ridden are automatic (pretty sure on that). Going from an automatic to motorcycle with a clutch and gears is tough enough. Add a couple hundred pounds of weight, with a higher center of gravity, and 1000 more cc's of power, and it's a lot to tackle all at once.
I'm pretty new to biking too (have about 8 months of riding experience). I started on a suzuki boulevard, 800 cc's (a C50T to be exact). I bought it used, threw some crash bars on it, and had it tip over a LOT on me while practicing u-turns in parking lots. After about two months of riding (EVERYWHERE! I commuted to work, to the grocery store, I even went through a few drive-thru's picking up some food for dinner and storing it in the saddlebags!), I traded it in. Now for trading in, typically you get less than what you could sell it privately. I got about 300 dollars less than what I paid for it for trading it in. I traded it in on a honda 919 (1000 cc standard bike). So I went a few hundred pounds less, MUCH more get up and go. After a few months on that, I traded it in again for 500 less than what I bought it for (although I bought it brand new so depreciation DEFINITELY hit me), and got the FJR.

So I got the FJR after about 6000 miles of riding, and about 5 months.

Moral of my story, if I were you, I'd ride a different bike for a few thousand miles. I vote for cruiser because you can throw some crash bars on there, and save it from damage in minor tip-overs, or when you THINK you shifted into second, but really shifted into neutral and it falls over in the middle of a turn while you're TRYING to accelerate through it (NEVER happened.......). A little shopping around (you don't even need that much), and you'll find an older one at a low price, that you can sell after riding it for a few thousand miles for almost what you paid for it (or sometimes even more if you found a good deal). You'll be MUCH better prepared for an FJR as you'll have tackled the weight and clutch issues.

Then when you're ready for an FJR, it'll be a few months down the road, you can find a used one for a good price, take your time shopping cause you already HAVE a bike and don't feel the "need" as bad for a two-up bike cause you already have one. It'll give you some time to save up some more money to put towards the purchase.

And when you DO get one, take the time to ride it solo. I've heard about 1000 miles solo riding on different types of roads will give you a good feel for how it handles and you'll be better prepared to ride two-up on that bike.

And EXCELLENT job on taking those MSF courses. Keep it up, and when you do get a clutch bike (whether you decide to take the advice given about getting a smaller one first or not), get used to the bike solo, and take the experienced riders course with THAT bike. I intend on doing the experienced riders course solo in February (won't be too bad in TX), and a few years after that, I'll go through it again with my wife as a passenger and we'll do the course with her on the bike.

Alexi
Hi Alexi,

Yup, the scooter is an automatic (twist and go) and I so do enjoy that feature. The bike weighs about 440 lbs. but the acceleration is nothing like the FJR. Your experience as well as your advice is very sound and too the point. Very much appreciated and heeded on my part. I have been thinking about taking the Experienced Rider Course...since it wouldn't cost anything because I'd take it on a military base...to better handle my bike but also something heavier and faster.

Barry

You have gotten some barry, barry good advice here. :rolleyes:
$11K for a used '07A? I paid $11.8K for my '07A brand new, when it was the current model. That dealer is high, in more ways than one.
Hi jmd,

lol...so true regarding the dealer. He thought that I would purchase right then and there without doing any research. Shame on him...but based on the responses here, I need way more experience than I currently have in order to "tackle" the FJR. It's something that I will definitely do because I do enjoy many things about this bike.

Barry

Barry,cool, I started riding on a 2007 Vespa GTV250. I bought my 2007 FJR over a year ago and with 6,000 miles on it I love every minute on it. Go through the MSF course and you will enjoy your new ride!

Matt
Hi Matt,

Nice to run into another Vespa owner...I have an MP3 250 and the wifey rides a LXV 150. I do need more experience on how to ride a bike with a clutch...that's one of the big things...and of course the power and weight differential. Thanks for the kind words and I'll definitely be looking into the Experienced Rider Course.

Barry