Used FJR Price Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, in case it hasn't been said, thank you for being smart. Came to a forum asking advice on a purchase, got more than just that, but you're taking it. And you've done MSF and will be looking into MORE training. Man I wish more riders were like you. It'd save us motorcyclists so much aggravation with less squids around.

I agree with most points here. Bike is priced too high.

Furthermore, I agree with another previous post about the FJR being too much bike for a first bike. If I were you I'd buy a used 500cc - 700cc bike. Suzuki GSX 600, Suzuki GS500F, Kawasaki Ninja 650R, or a Suzuki SV650 would all make decent starter bikes.

There's 2 reasons for this.

1. The FJR is a fairly heavy bike with alot of power available at the grip. It is not going to be the best bike to learn on and it will not be very forgiving.

2. Plastics are expensive and if you take a spill on a $10,000 bike it's going to not only hurt your body it's going to hurt your wallet. Plastic damage alone can cost upwards of $4k - $5k. Even if you have insurance that's a big claim to file.

If you buy a used bike like mentioned above for somewhere in the $2,000 - $3,500 price range you not only get the benefit of a lighter more forgiving machine, you're also not going to break the bank if you lowside the bike or even dump it over in a parking lot manuveur.

I love the FJR and it is one of the best bikes I've ever owned. But it wasn't my first it is my 6th. I've got a solid 100,000 miles of riding experience to include a very nasty wreck under my belt and I still feel like I have alot to learn. I couldn't imagine throwing a leg over the FJR with anything less than 6 months - 1 year of real world riding experience on a smaller bike.

But that's just my opinion and I'm sure you're going to do what you want to do. Just don't turn into one of the 1,000 other statistics and come back here in 3 months telling of your mishap, etc. I see it time and time again on a local sport bike forum I frequent. Some young or middle aged person posts a thread about their brand new Hyabusa 1300 and how it's their first bike and a month or two later they are asking where they can find some used parts to fixed their wrecked bike.

Good luck. And remember to keep the rubber on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I would add that I bought a 07 FJR 1300 AE with 5300 miles 4 months ago for $8,200. I'm guessing that I could have gotten a better deal but hey... I thought I made out very well.

You could easily pick up a decent "training" bike for under a grand and probably turn around and sell it for that much (if you decide to upgrade) Ride that around a LOT. I saw someone say that they were testing turns. That is a Great idea. Hit an open parking lot at night and test your turns (slow and at speed).

BTW, in case it hasn't been said, thank you for being smart. Came to a forum asking advice on a purchase, got more than just that, but you're taking it. And you've done MSF and will be looking into MORE training. Man I wish more riders were like you. It'd save us motorcyclists so much aggravation with less squids around.
Alexi,

Believe me, the amount of information gained is truly amazing. Thanks for the kind words...I've learned a lot by riding my MP3 over the past 1 1/2 years, seen a lot of things and even crashed mine because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Learned from my mistake and before going on this FJR adventure, will certainly learn more and stay safe. To you and everyone else who has commented on this subject, a big thanks :coolsmiley03:

Barry

Reldeed & sergeantnic,

More training is definitely needed on my part and true, I don't want to become another statistic. Was lucky with my crash that I ended up with just some scratches, bruises and a sore shoulder (had all of my gear on and it did what it was supposed to do). But you are correct, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to purchase a machine like this; not learn how to ride it properly and crash it (would rather keep the money in my pocket).

Barry

Hey Spartan,

Buy the FEEJ and be done with it. Take the bags off, add a pair of frame sliders and go learn to ride the thing.

Bananas!

what a great site. this is what i love about this place, the maturity and honest caring for fellow riders. the only thing i can add is when you buy a bigger bike to practice on get something with a low seat. i believe that is why most people recommend a cruiser. it will make learning a breeze and they are plentiful and cheap. I'm not a berry though so take what i say with a grain of salt.

Hi all,

Just got a call from the dealer and I told him that I had done some research as well as asked some questions about moving up from a scooter to the FJR. He did come down in price to $9000 OTD and I tell you, it's very tempting (Bananas I hear what you are saying) . But based on what I've learned on this forum, it wouldn't be a smart and prudent move on my part to get the FJR right now. With practice and maybe starting out on something smaller before moving up to the FJR would I (and most importantly...the wifey) feel comfortable.

Barry

Barry,

Welcome to the Forum - I'm pretty new here myself.

In response to your original request for information, in late August I paid $8,900 to a private party for a 2007 FJR 1300A with 4,900 miles on it. I walked away from a 2006 FJR 1300A with 6,000 miles on it (and needing a replacement headlight lens and tires immediately) offered for $9,500 at an independent, small town used car dealership. Both bikes had aftermarket windshields on them, BTW.

I applaud your willingness to listen to the advise of the other members who are counseling you to carefully consider the wisdom of buying this great motorcycle [which they all love to ride] at this point in your experience. Sounds like you have made a smart decision to hold off for a while on getting this particular model.

Mark C.

I will echo the advice, having run the gauntlet from a 50 cc Honda back in ther late '60s through to the FJR today.

Along the way I've seen people who have bought machines that are beyond their skill levels, and if the buyer's been mature, it usually ends well.

Having said that it is still prudent to get your chops on a naked bike, probably in the 750 cc range - an older cruiser or 'standard' should do well - no weather protection, but no plastic either and after a season or two you will have the knack and using the clutch will be second nature. Old bikes don't depreciate, so you ought to be able to recoup your investment when you are ready to move up.

As to complaints about the'07 (and 06) throttle; It is sensitive, but a steady hand does it well - I have had zero issues and would never complain based on what I have, but some of the members are sometimes like little girls B) and also some are pretty old and perhaps getting a bit feeble :D

Barry,
Welcome to the Forum - I'm pretty new here myself.

In response to your original request for information, in late August I paid $8,900 to a private party for a 2007 FJR 1300A with 4,900 miles on it. I walked away from a 2006 FJR 1300A with 6,000 miles on it (and needing a replacement headlight lens and tires immediately) offered for $9,500 at an independent, small town used car dealership. Both bikes had aftermarket windshields on them, BTW.

I applaud your willingness to listen to the advise of the other members who are counseling you to carefully consider the wisdom of buying this great motorcycle [which they all love to ride] at this point in your experience. Sounds like you have made a smart decision to hold off for a while on getting this particular model.

Mark C.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the welcome...I've driven through Helena on my many trips up to Calgary, Alberta. Sounds like you got a great deal and I guess if I had the experience needed, I could get a better deal than what's being offered to me at the moment. In a previous post, a member mentioned the Honda NT700V as a good alternative (well as a starting point) to jumping up to the FJR. So may look into that. Again, it's been a blessing to receive all of this advice from the forum members...and it's better to be safe than sorry. I'll keep all posted regarding my quest.

Barry

I will echo the advice, having run the gauntlet from a 50 cc Honda back in ther late '60s through to the FJR today.
Along the way I've seen people who have bought machines that are beyond their skill levels, and if the buyer's been mature, it usually ends well.

Having said that it is still prudent to get your chops on a naked bike, probably in the 750 cc range - an older cruiser or 'standard' should do well - no weather protection, but no plastic either and after a season or two you will have the knack and using the clutch will be second nature. Old bikes don't depreciate, so you ought to be able to recoup your investment when you are ready to move up.

As to complaints about the'07 (and 06) throttle; It is sensitive, but a steady hand does it well - I have had zero issues and would never complain based on what I have, but some of the members are sometimes like little girls B) and also some are pretty old and perhaps getting a bit feeble :D
I see that there are a few cruisers for sale on here, so will browse that section to see what's available.

You've received great advice here. You've obviously got a good head on your shoulder, so you'll make the right decision for you.

FYI, I bought my '07 Feej less than a year ago with 11K on the clock and a few farkles for $7400 in AZ. As long as a non-California bike has over 7.5K on it, you can bring it in to California. There are some great deals out there right now, but a dealership isn't likely the right place to find one. Most folks that ride the Sport touring bikes bikes tend to be a bit older (like me) and are experienced riders that take good care of the bikes. Not nearly as risky as buying a crotch rocket private party.

If the FJR is your eventual target I would not recommend spending a significant amount of money on late model smaller S-T bike like Honda's Deauville. You'll be disappointed and still get an FJR within a year or so, but take a huge loss when you sell the Deauville. I'd recommend getting an 80's era beater bike ($1K to $1.5K) in the 750cc range to hone your skills, get used to a cluth, the weight, and more power than the scoot. Then, take your time to shop around and find a great deal on a a Gen II FJR while you're learning. IMPORTANT: Get a large poster of the FJR and put it in on the wall in the garage near the beater bike, knowing that you'll have one when you're ready. You'll enjoy the dream knowing that you're entering this sport with the right attitude. When you find your FJR, sell the beater bike for $500 less than you paid for it and chock the loss off to training.

We need more guys like you joining the ranks.

Good luck and welcome to the S-T community.

Rick

... Being a new comer to the bike seen, you may want to look into other lower cc bikes. The FeeJ being 1300cc's and well over 600#s, makes it a nasty bike to ride ...
Whaaa?? I disagree with that. I believe the FJR would be a wonderful bike for him. It is a very well behaved docile machine with fantastic brakes and very good handing relative to other bikes. The FJR is very easy to manage at low or high speeds. I have owned/ridden a lot of different types of bikes in my life and the FJR is among the best behaved out there hands down. Can it be wicked up into a raging multi-headed evil monster? Hell yes! Does that mean he would ride it that way? No. In fact most people don't ride it outside of its limit. For that matter he could get into just as much serious trouble on a smaller bike and NOT have the braking or handling of the FJR. How many riders lives have been saved because of the linked ABS brakes and its superior handling.

I say go for the FJR in a NY second! You will not regret it (and it looks twice as nice as the Concours!)

You've received great advice here. You've obviously got a good head on your shoulder, so you'll make the right decision for you.
FYI, I bought my '07 Feej less than a year ago with 11K on the clock and a few farkles for $7400 in AZ. As long as a non-California bike has over 7.5K on it, you can bring it in to California. There are some great deals out there right now, but a dealership isn't likely the right place to find one. Most folks that ride the Sport touring bikes bikes tend to be a bit older (like me) and are experienced riders that take good care of the bikes. Not nearly as risky as buying a crotch rocket private party.

If the FJR is your eventual target I would not recommend spending a significant amount of money on late model smaller S-T bike like Honda's Deauville. You'll be disappointed and still get an FJR within a year or so, but take a huge loss when you sell the Deauville. I'd recommend getting an 80's era beater bike ($1K to $1.5K) in the 750cc range to hone your skills, get used to a cluth, the weight, and more power than the scoot. Then, take your time to shop around and find a great deal on a a Gen II FJR while you're learning. IMPORTANT: Get a large poster of the FJR and put it in on the wall in the garage near the beater bike, knowing that you'll have one when you're ready. You'll enjoy the dream knowing that you're entering this sport with the right attitude. When you find your FJR, sell the beater bike for $500 less than you paid for it and chock the loss off to training.

We need more guys like you joining the ranks.

Good luck and welcome to the S-T community.

Rick
Rick,

I will tell you that it was very hard not to go and get that bike (FJR at the dealer)...I have since found out that there are better deals out there...but for me it does come down to experience. Just peace of mind for me learning how to ride the machine properly and I do have to get my wife on board with this. She has said that a purchase (down the road) is an option, so that is a big step in the right direction :yahoo:

And you have very valid points...getting something that won't cost an arm and a leg but will provide real-time experience and give me the ability to hone my skills...is a big thing to me. I already crashed once because I wasn't paying attention and got lucky with that I ended up with a few bruises/scratches (the bike/scooter had some exterior damage). So learning is the proper way to go.

Barry

... Being a new comer to the bike seen, you may want to look into other lower cc bikes. The FeeJ being 1300cc's and well over 600#s, makes it a nasty bike to ride ...
Whaaa?? I disagree with that. I believe the FJR would be a wonderful bike for him. It is a very well behaved docile machine with fantastic brakes and very good handing relative to other bikes. The FJR is very easy to manage at low or high speeds. I have owned/ridden a lot of different types of bikes in my life and the FJR is among the best behaved out there hands down. Can it be wicked up into a raging multi-headed evil monster? Hell yes! Does that mean he would ride it that way? No. In fact most people don't ride it outside of its limit. For that matter he could get into just as much serious trouble on a smaller bike and NOT have the braking or handling of the FJR. How many riders lives have been saved because of the linked ABS brakes and its superior handling.

I say go for the FJR in a NY second! You will not regret it (and it looks twice as nice as the Concours!)
lol...I know that I wouldn't regret it as I do so enjoy the styling

Spartan, you've been given a boatload of great advise from a bunch of no b.s guys. Ultimately depends on you:

How confident are you?

How adept are you?

Can you handle a HEAVY bike at walking speed in a turn?

The FJR is a superb machine with a split personality: It's calm & collected when you need & hell on wheels when you want! In other words, it'll do exactly what you want it to do. You just gotta KNOW HOW! And that's where all this advise from us comes in to play. I've been riding seriously since 1960 ish everything from vintage to crotch rockets to cruisers. Never have I found a better bike. But one you could seriously hurt yrself with IF you dont know what you are doing. Get the FJR...BUT not now! Get a year's worth of serious riding on a standard (naked) bike with less HP & less heft & beat the heck outta it. Then when you've outgrown it...come ride with us. And whatever you do...DONT take a passenger till you have a good few thousand miles under yr belt. G'luck & keep riding

Spartan, you've been given a boatload of great advise from a bunch of no b.s guys. Ultimately depends on you:How confident are you?

How adept are you?

The FJR is a superb machine with a split personality: It's calm & collected when you need & hell on wheels when you want! In other words, it'll do exactly what you want it to do. You just gotta KNOW HOW! And that's where all this advise from us comes in to play. I've been riding seriously since 1960 ish everything from vintage to crotch rockets to cruisers. Never have I found a better bike. But one you could seriously hurt yrself with IF you dont know what you are doing. Get the FJR...BUT not now! Get a year's worth of serious riding on a standard (naked) bike with less HP & less heft & beat the heck outta it. Then when you've outgrown it...come ride with us. And whatever you do...DONT take a passenger till you have a good few thousand miles under yr belt. G'luck & keep riding
Hi saltywheels,

Thank you for responding. With regards to your questions:

I am much more confident riding these days compared to last year (I'm comfortable lane splitting).

Can make U-turns (similar to what I've seen on this discussion board).

But again as you've pointed out, the FJR is about 200 lbs. heavier than what I currently ride so that would take some getting use to. And taking on a passenger at this point in time is out of the question...so no worries about buying it right now. A future purchase most likely :yahoo:

Spartan, you've been given a boatload of great advise from a bunch of no b.s guys. Ultimately depends on you:How confident are you?

How adept are you?

Hi saltywheels,

Thank you for responding. With regards to your questions:

I am much more confident riding these days compared to last year (I'm comfortable lane splitting).

Can make U-turns (similar to what I've seen on this discussion board).

But again as you've pointed out, the FJR is about 200 lbs. heavier than what I currently ride so that would take some getting use to. And taking on a passenger at this point in time is out of the question...so no worries about buying it right now. A future purchase most likely :yahoo:
As they say,"Practice makes perfect" Go for it & stay safe