Used FJR Price Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Barry,

Another FJR newbie here. I think that most folks here do make good arguments, but seeing that individuals have very different personalities it might not all apply to you.

I started riding on a 600cc Dual-sport in the late 80's in Germany, then met my wife in '91 after I sold it and before I bought another one. She was the opposite of a fan of MC riding, so I ended up not riding at all until summer of 2006, when I rediscovered 2-wheeling with a little 150cc scoot. BTW, I also took a MSF class that year and had several situations in which I was glad that I had. I bored that little scoot out to 200cc within the first 6 months, then bought a 400cc scoot (Yamaha Majesty). While that was plenty fast enough to go touring with friends with their much bigger bikes, I am a mechanical engineer that can't leave things well enough alone, and I still ended up getting the max power out of it possible. It's amazing what you can do with these CVTs.... I got it up to 105mph top speed, and it did get 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds, which is about as good as you can make a 400cc move that's 467lbs. Now the Majesty is very heavy for a scoot, but still 183lbs lighter then the 650lbs FJR...

I had liked the FJR design ever since I first saw one sitting parked several years ago, and since I thought it could potentially be a practical bike for my needs as well as a good looking one, I did not want to dismiss it outright from consideration while looking last summer for what bike would come next. Now I had test ridden some of my friends bikes, up to 1200cc - it helps that I have never had much problems using a clutch. From that experience I knew I wanted something with decent power, but thought the FJR would be MUCH more bike then I wanted or would be safe for me.

Before the first time I actually test rode an FJR at the dealer, I had read up on it here on this forum and everywhere that Google links to, and I got up on the bike being quite nervous, thinking that it would prove to be WAY more then I should buy or be able to handle. I was so surprised at how light and nimble it felt at speed, it felt lighter to me then most other MCs I had tested, including a few 650cc bikes and one 750cc cruiser, and I left the highway to find a parking lot to try some low-speed U-turns with it (don't anybody tell the dealer about that!!! :lol: ). I had no problem with it whatsoever, and actually felt that I had excellent control, even much better then with a lot of the lighter bikes I had tried. I also test rode both the ST and the C14, and they are no comparison in handling from my point of view. Also, you do not HAVE to tap into all that power if you want to take it slow, in fact, I was just blown away by how SMOOTH you can ride this bike instead. Now that first FJR I rode was a 2009, and the throttle action was very nice on that straight from the factory. I also test rode a 2006 AE with original throttle action, and THAT throttle was twitchy, as in either on or off in low speed, but then I also test rode a 2007 -A bike that obviously had the throttle upgrade done, and I liked that throttle action at least as much as the 2009 throttle. From what I read here it's a pretty cheap upgrade if you are mechanically inclined.

My point is this: You know yourself the best, so you decide what advice fits your personality. I gather from what you said that you are a lot younger then me, and maybe you feel like you could not stay off that throttle once you have it and would be tempted all the time to take the bike past it's (or your) limits - if that's the case, all the advice about getting a smaller, "lesser" bike would be right on the mark for you. But, if you feel that you can take things slow and have the confidence that you could slowly grow your ability to match the bike your riding, then by all means, at least test ride one and see for yourself!

I've been looking for close to half a year now, and the deals have never been better then they are right now, thanks to winter time. I plan on getting an FJR between Christmas and New Year, either 2006 or 2007, most likely an AE model, which I personally felt are a lot of fun to ride. I know lot's of A owning folks here don't think well of the AE (to put it mildly), but all I can say again is you have to ride one and make up your own mind. I could immediately tell that I would be able to do fast power shifts in no time with the right flick of my throttle wrist, and the bad throttle action of a '06 or '07 can be taken care of easily enough.

Good luck with your decision either way! Have fun riding whatever you end up buying. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Barry,Another FJR newbie here. I think that most folks here do make good arguments, but seeing that individuals have very different personalities it might not all apply to you.

I started riding on a 600cc Dual-sport in the late 80's in Germany, then met my wife in '91 after I sold it and before I bought another one. She was the opposite of a fan of MC riding, so I ended up not riding at all until summer of 2006, when I rediscovered 2-wheeling with a little 150cc scoot. BTW, I also took a MSF class that year and had several situations in which I was glad that I had. I bored that little scoot out to 200cc within the first 6 months, then bought a 400cc scoot (Yamaha Majesty). While that was plenty fast enough to go touring with friends with their much bigger bikes, I am a mechanical engineer that can't leave things well enough alone, and I still ended up getting the max power out of it possible. It's amazing what you can do with these CVTs.... I got it up to 105mph top speed, and it did get 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds, which is about as good as you can make a 400cc move that's 467lbs. Now the Majesty is very heavy for a scoot, but still 183lbs lighter then the 650lbs FJR...

I had liked the FJR design ever since I first saw one sitting parked several years ago, and since I thought it could potentially be a practical bike for my needs as well as a good looking one, I did not want to dismiss it outright from consideration while looking last summer for what bike would come next. Now I had test ridden some of my friends bikes, up to 1200cc - it helps that I have never had much problems using a clutch. From that experience I knew I wanted something with decent power, but thought the FJR would be MUCH more bike then I wanted or would be safe for me.

Before the first time I actually test rode an FJR at the dealer, I had read up on it here on this forum and everywhere that Google links to, and I got up on the bike being quite nervous, thinking that it would prove to be WAY more then I should buy or be able to handle. I was so surprised at how light and nimble it felt at speed, it felt lighter to me then most other MCs I had tested, including a few 650cc bikes and one 750cc cruiser, and I left the highway to find a parking lot to try some low-speed U-turns with it (don't anybody tell the dealer about that!!! :lol: ). I had no problem with it whatsoever, and actually felt that I had excellent control, even much better then with a lot of the lighter bikes I had tried. I also test rode both the ST and the C14, and they are no comparison in handling from my point of view. Also, you do not HAVE to tap into all that power if you want to take it slow, in fact, I was just blown away by how SMOOTH you can ride this bike instead. Now that first FJR I rode was a 2009, and the throttle action was very nice on that straight from the factory. I also test rode a 2006 AE with original throttle action, and THAT throttle was twitchy, as in either on or off in low speed, but then I also test rode a 2007 -A bike that obviously had the throttle upgrade done, and I liked that throttle action at least as much as the 2009 throttle. From what I read here it's a pretty cheap upgrade if you are mechanically inclined.

My point is this: You know yourself the best, so you decide what advice fits your personality. I gather from what you said that you are a lot younger then me, and maybe you feel like you could not stay off that throttle once you have it and would be tempted all the time to take the bike past it's (or your) limits - if that's the case, all the advice about getting a smaller, "lesser" bike would be right on the mark for you. But, if you feel that you can take things slow and have the confidence that you could slowly grow your ability to match the bike your riding, then by all means, at least test ride one and see for yourself!

I've been looking for close to half a year now, and the deals have never been better then they are right now, thanks to winter time. I plan on getting an FJR between Christmas and New Year, either 2006 or 2007, most likely an AE model, which I personally felt are a lot of fun to ride. I know lot's of A owning folks here don't think well of the AE (to put it mildly), but all I can say again is you have to ride one and make up your own mind. I could immediately tell that I would be able to do fast power shifts in no time with the right flick of my throttle wrist, and the bad throttle action of a '06 or '07 can be taken care of easily enough.

Good luck with your decision either way! Have fun riding whatever you end up buying. B)
Hi cruppelt,

47 years old and counting... ;) ...I've enjoyed the comments and advice on this thread immensly. All posters have been very helpful as well as accommodating regarding my questions. May just have to get out there and test ride one to get the "feel" for the FJR. I still think that the purchase is in the future (due to other expenses :angry2: ) and lack of experience. But if I can get on my MP3 and learn how to ride that thing (having never ridden a motor vehicle before) I think with time and practice I can get the hang of the FJR. And just think, this all started with me seeing a C14 in the parking garage next to my scoot.

Barry

Saltywheels said it all . I my self have been on all kind for over 32 years . This bike is the most tip over prone than any othEr bike i have beeN on . Check out this forum many people with 20, 30 , years exp. tipping this monster over . going from a 440lb bike to this is a big NO NO. .Think with your head instead of your heart.

Barry,

In my opinion, you probably wont have any issues riding the FJR (watch out for the power thou). Where you will have problems (at least I did) is when the bike is stopped. You will drop your first 600+ pound bike at least once during the first year. I have an 06 that I bought new and have never dropped it, the reason for this is that I dropped my st1100 three times in the first two years of ownership.

Good luck with your new bike.

Hi cruppelt,
47 years old and counting... ;) ...I've enjoyed the comments and advice on this thread immensly. All posters have been very helpful as well as accommodating regarding my questions. May just have to get out there and test ride one to get the "feel" for the FJR. I still think that the purchase is in the future (due to other expenses :angry2: ) and lack of experience. But if I can get on my MP3 and learn how to ride that thing (having never ridden a motor vehicle before) I think with time and practice I can get the hang of the FJR. And just think, this all started with me seeing a C14 in the parking garage next to my scoot.

Barry

Hi Barry,

That's to funny - you're actually older then me, I'm only 40!

I have to say the advice regarding easy tip-overs from Bob, Zorkler and others here does make sense. I even had a couple of tip-overs on my Majesty, one in a steep parking lot on gravel (lost my footing), and the other time because the side stand wasn't all the way out, but I caught the bike in time to prevent serious damage each time. With the FJR I'm sure I couldn't have held it, grunting hard or not. :dribble:

As a result I'm only ever using the center stand (no matter what crap other riders give me about it), and I'm sure glad the FJR GenII has a center stand, plus I got much better at scoping out any possible parking spot and how to get back out of it again before I actually stop and park the bike.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi cruppelt,

Barry

Hi Barry,

That's to funny - you're actually older then me, I'm only 40!

I have to say the advice regarding easy tip-overs from Bob, Zorkler and others here does make sense. I even had a couple of tip-overs on my Majesty, one in a steep parking lot on gravel (lost my footing), and the other time because the side stand wasn't all the way out, but I caught the bike in time to prevent serious damage each time. With the FJR I'm sure I couldn't have held it, grunting hard or not. :dribble:

As a result I'm only ever using the center stand (no matter what crap other riders give me about it), and I'm sure glad the FJR GenII has a center stand, plus I got much better at scoping out any possible parking spot and how to get back out of it again before I actually stop and park the bike.

Cheers,

Chris
Hi Chris,

You are a youngster...lol...based on your comments, you've practiced many times to become more capable when parking your bike. My scoot has a "tilt-lock" so I can just pull into the space, flick the switch and the bike stands by itself (still have the center stand though). Makes life so much easier.

Barry

Hi Barry - plenty of wisdom has already been shared by the ones who know much more than me --- I will say, however,

1) Although the FJR is a "big" bike for someone with limited experience, it is very doable. With alot of caution and alot of patience, you'll be comfortable on her in no time.

2) Regardless of all the naysayers on this forum (many of who I would never question in most other opinions) the AE is an AWESOME ride and, in my humble opinion, the way to go for someone like you and I who have limited experience. It takes all of about five minutes to get the feel of it, and really makes riding that much safer (Caution: that statement could possibly start WWIII), at least for those of us with less experience than most of these guys on this forum. (That disclaimer may calm them down a bit)

3) No question the dealer's price is too high, even at $9K OTD. Shop around and you most likely should be able to find an '08 AE with less than 10,000 miles for less than $9K, then BUY IT, be safe and have a BLAST!

Hi Chris,
You are a youngster...lol...based on your comments, you've practiced many times to become more capable when parking your bike. My scoot has a "tilt-lock" so I can just pull into the space, flick the switch and the bike stands by itself (still have the center stand though). Makes life so much easier.

Barry
Hi Barry,

So I have to ask - that "tilt-lock" you mention, that basically locks the 2 front wheels into level position? So it's basically a real three-wheeler when you park?

If that's so then that's really making it easy, but at same time also kind of hard to get the experience for a heavy bike without that feature... :rolleyes: :D

Chris

Once you mount the FJR and start moving and get your feet on the pegs she's a real pussy cat. Very easy to balance and control. Getting the bike in the go position is key to a happy launch. I'm 5' 6" so I am tippy toed at a stop. I always park my 08 using the center stand. It's easy enough to do. At home, when parked in the garage I start it and let it warm up while I finish putting my gear on, then I push it off the center stand and walk it backwards out of the garage (left hand on the left bar and right hand on the rear grab rail), put the side stand down, mount the bike, retrack the sidestand, put it in gear, and off I go.

When I park at work or other places with no forward interference, with the center stand down, I just mount the bike, rock it forward and push it off the stand while on it, and off I go. I love that centerstand.

Tip-over incidents would be likely to happen when just pushing it around getting it into position. It's a good idea to have an entrance and exit strategy when parking. And, I have to be mindful of any irregularities or dips in the street when stopping at lights. This is where I think you can get into trouble unexpectedly. But like I said, once you get it rolling it's a piece of cake. The weight and awkwardness just disappears.

I agree with FJR-Pilot. This bike has a very linear power curve. If you want to putt around and drive it like a granny you can. If you lay into it, it will stand up and run. I would not recommend spending money on a bike with poor brakes, handeling, and power compared to this one to learn to ride better on. Save your money, use some sense and learn to ride on the FJR. It can be rode very softly and after a while of getting used to it, you will be surprised at how much power was there all along. The nice part is that you have to really open it up to get there. I would only look at an 06 and up. The first gens have different gearing and have been known to wheelie very easy. Good luck with your decision.

Hi Chris,

Barry
Hi Barry,

So I have to ask - that "tilt-lock" you mention, that basically locks the 2 front wheels into level position? So it's basically a real three-wheeler when you park?

If that's so then that's really making it easy, but at same time also kind of hard to get the experience for a heavy bike without that feature... :rolleyes: :D

Chris
Hi Chris,

Yup, you've described the tilt-lock function very well. For example, when I park my bike at the train station in the morning, I pull up to the motorcycle area, tap the switch, the tilt lock comes on and I can basically push the bike into the parking spot. I can also use it when I stop at lights...but don't do it anymore as I place my feet on the ground and wait for the light to turn.

Barry

I agree with FJR-Pilot. This bike has a very linear power curve. If you want to putt around and drive it like a granny you can. If you lay into it, it will stand up and run. I would not recommend spending money on a bike with poor brakes, handeling, and power compared to this one to learn to ride better on. Save your money, use some sense and learn to ride on the FJR. It can be rode very softly and after a while of getting used to it, you will be surprised at how much power was there all along. The nice part is that you have to really open it up to get there. I would only look at an 06 and up. The first gens have different gearing and have been known to wheelie very easy. Good luck with your decision.
Hi 200cs,

Based on the comments here, I think Gen II is the way to go. Saw one on the road today in downtown San Diego...looked sweet B)

Once you mount the FJR and start moving and get your feet on the pegs she's a real pussy cat. Very easy to balance and control. Getting the bike in the go position is key to a happy launch. I'm 5' 6" so I am tippy toed at a stop. I always park my 08 using the center stand. It's easy enough to do. At home, when parked in the garage I start it and let it warm up while I finish putting my gear on, then I push it off the center stand and walk it backwards out of the garage (left hand on the left bar and right hand on the rear grab rail), put the side stand down, mount the bike, retrack the sidestand, put it in gear, and off I go.
When I park at work or other places with no forward interference, with the center stand down, I just mount the bike, rock it forward and push it off the stand while on it, and off I go. I love that centerstand.

Tip-over incidents would be likely to happen when just pushing it around getting it into position. It's a good idea to have an entrance and exit strategy when parking. And, I have to be mindful of any irregularities or dips in the street when stopping at lights. This is where I think you can get into trouble unexpectedly. But like I said, once you get it rolling it's a piece of cake. The weight and awkwardness just disappears.
Motorad,

Excellent post and I like the information you provided.

Barry

Barry, sounds like you are getting some sound advice from the folks. I test rode an MP3 500 and thought is was a blast. If I had $9K sitting around, I would own one.

I have never ridden an FJR (wanna). I had a recent chance to buy an 06 AE for $7500, I didnt move fast enough. Dealer price you mentioned seems high to me. Paul

I've found an '06 with 7K miles for $7500, w/warranty until Jul '11. Trying to figure out how to get it home. A somewhat local dealer has an '06 with 15K and warranty for $8995.

Barry, sounds like you are getting some sound advice from the folks. I test rode an MP3 500 and thought is was a blast. If I had $9K sitting around, I would own one. I have never ridden an FJR (wanna). I had a recent chance to buy an 06 AE for $7500, I didnt move fast enough. Dealer price you mentioned seems high to me. Paul
Hi Paul,

Ah yes, the MP3 500...if they had had one in the shop when I was set to purchase mine, I would have been tempted to buy it. But all in all, I'm happy with the 250 and it has brought me lots of joy and happiness. You are correct about the dealer anf what they are asking...would be interesting if I stopped by to see if it's still on the floor.

Barry

I've found an '06 with 7K miles for $7500, w/warranty until Jul '11. Trying to figure out how to get it home. A somewhat local dealer has an '06 with 15K and warranty for $8995.
Hi Drew,

Best of luck and I hope you find a way to get it home...would ben an awesome Christmas present don't you think? :yahoo:

Ok folks,

Well here's the latest information. As mentioned before, I use my Piaggio MP3 250 to commute from my house to the train station and then take the Coaster (commuter train) into San Diego. I then walk down to the pier and take the San Diego Ferry over to North Island to get to work. Well, the Navy has decided to stop boat service to the base and my other options are very limited, so I'm contemplating getting a bike to go from the San Diego side to the Navy base. So far I've been looking on craigslist and have seen these bikes (as well as a few others):

2006 Suzuki GSX 750 Katana ($2300)

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ($2100)

What do you think?

Barry

Barry,In my opinion, you probably wont have any issues riding the FJR (watch out for the power thou). Where you will have problems (at least I did) is when the bike is stopped. You will drop your first 600+ pound bike at least once during the first year. I have an 06 that I bought new and have never dropped it, the reason for this is that I dropped my st1100 three times in the first two years of ownership.

Good luck with your new bike.
Barry

1. welcome from another in Oceanside.

2. In regards to the above comment- I went from a '80 (or so) Yamaha XS 400J (lightweight little thing) to a used '90 Concours ZG1000 - when I was 27 yrs old. WAY more power than I was used to. However, as noted above, I did have a few tip-overs. Wish there had been sliders back then - would have saved a couple of busted mirrors and a foot peg or two (C-10 Concours owners know what I'm referring to). One of those was while in the MSF Advanced course - max braking in a turn... just couldn't hold the bike up.. argh ... anyway. Or my favorite - pulling up to house, opening garage door and seeing stuff where it shoudln't be blocking my entrance. In irration, pulling up to stop, getting off, oops - forgot to put side stand down.. :angry: Years ago on the Concours list, there was a group - the CDAs (complete dub a$$ society - for just such maneuvers). They started registering themselves with numbers (similar to the groups membeship #) not sure if that designation is used elsewhere.

Weight while driving - no issue. It is as others mentioned, at a gas station entrance with an off-camber funky incline, driveways, etc. where you may have been used to holding your current bike up without an issue, but a 600lb bike with a little momentum in the wrong direction can be awfully difficult to stop.

3. As for price - I bought an '08 in April from a dealer (was a 49-state model with 8k miles so it could be sold in CA) for $10k which included a 12-month warranty. I found brand new at that time for may $1.5k more?? And that bike is now 2 models year old - so prices have come down from there. As others have said from your initial post - price is way too high.

Depends on what your budget is (sorry if I missed you mentioning it).

I ride from Oceanside down to Sorrento Valley every day. Coaster takes too long compared to lane-splitting the 20 miles, so I don't bother with the train. I ride with side bags off, and a Givi trunk, to make lane-splitting a little less dicey (relatively speaking). I'll send you a PM with my contact info

If you've narrowed it down to these two, it's the Katana for sure (IMHO). Those are pretty good prices, but so much depends upon condition, previous maintenance regimen and so on. A "good" deal on a used bike can soon amount to another $1,500 or $2,000 in repairs for the unaware. There are plenty of articles on things to watch for in used bikes in general, and you'll find articles on inherent weaknesses in these specific models, too (all bikes have some inherent problems, often manifested only with time or usage). At least take a mechanically knowledgeable friend with you for the inspection. Check battery, tires, chain and sprockets, brake pads as common, but expensive, wear items. Inspect oil condition, listen carefully to tranny and valve train, even the bottom end (crank) for weird, unexplained noises. If the shifting isn't smooth or if it pops out of gear, run the other way. Look for leaks anywhere and everywhere. Make sure all electrical components function properly. Any issues which will cost you immediate outlays try to get the seller to deduct, at least partially, from his/her price. Also, sometimes the seller has extras - jackets, helmets, gloves, bags, covers, battery tenders, etc. - that he will no longer need and can throw in to sweeten the deal. Ask for all records and owners manual. Make sure the title is clear and immediately available. If the bike has been heavily - maybe even moderately - modified, walk away.

That motor in the Katana is practically bulletproof, though.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lawrence,

CDA stands for Connie Droppers Anonymous. I know. I'm a member. I have the mirror and right foot peg bracket receipts to prove it. But it does make you feel like a dumb ass.

Just so you know. Carry on.