Used FJR Price Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from SoCal Barry.
Being a new comer to the bike seen, you may want to look into other lower cc bikes. The FeeJ being 1300cc's and well over 600#s, makes it a nasty bike to ride. DO you have any other riding experience? If so what type of bike etc?

Just want to get you set up on a nice bike for yourself, and that maybe an FJR or other.

Enjoy the forum.
Hi FJRBluesman,

Thank you so much for the welcome as well as the advice. I think what you mentioned (about the power) is one of the concerns my wife has regarding this bike. My only other experience has been on the Maxi-scooter I mentioned and it's only a 250cc. Been riding that for 1 1/2 years and thoroughly enjoy it. Looking to add to our collection for longer trips. Have taken the MSF course and have an M1 on my license (granted that doesn't give me the ok to go to a bigger bike). Would definitely take it easy before going all out on a bike like this.

Barry

TOO MUCH MONEY!!

Barry,

It sounds like you are a smart guy with a common sense approach to riding. It doesn't matter what you are riding as long as you have the maturity and control to be cautious and apply what you have learned. Any bike will eat your lunch if you let it. Good luck with whatever you choose, but keep in mind that in this market you are in the drivers seat. I just bought a super clean used 07' with 25k for $7000. Nicely farkled with one scratch on it. Keep your eyes open and keep asking the right questions.

Just my $.02

Tom

Hadn't read through this love fest all the way to the end until this morning and I must say I'm surprised someone hadn't come up with a better suggestion on buying an older, used bike to "prepare" Barry for an FJR....

That would be to buy an '03 or '04 FJR.

And before some of you Gen II wankers start screaming about the "heat" issue, I bet Spartan ain't the pussy you guys are. :p

Seriously, Barry...the main thrust of most of the advice to start with an older bike is the cost factor of dropping and repairing it when you DO drop it. Still just as expensive to fix the plastic on an '03 as it would be on an '07 or '08, but since you wouldn't have nearly as much money in the bike to start with, the cost ratio is MUCH more in your favor.

With an older FJR, you'd be "training" your body and skills for a new FJR MUCH better than you would be with a naked bike with half the power and a third of the weight. You probably already have the basic motorcycling skill set from your year and a half on the Piaggio. All you really need is to hone those skills with a 600+ pound bike with 145hp. You ain't gonna get that with some 1980s rat bike.

Besides, if you don't frag yourself on an '03 or '04, then you'd be ready to hop on a late model FJR without hesitation. And if you hadn't destroyed the bike in the process of preparing for the "leap" I bet you could get every penny back you spent on a well-kept Gen I. THEN go buy your new FJR.

But you WOULD wonder where all the power disappeared to. :D

Hadn't read through this love fest all the way to the end until this morning and I must say I'm surprised someone hadn't come up with a better suggestion on buying an older, used bike to "prepare" Barry for an FJR....
That would be to buy an '03 or '04 FJR.

And before some of you Gen II wankers start screaming about the "heat" issue, I bet Spartan ain't the pussy you guys are. :p

Seriously, Barry...the main thrust of most of the advice to start with an older bike is the cost factor of dropping and repairing it when you DO drop it. Still just as expensive to fix the plastic on an '03 as it would be on an '07 or '08, but since you wouldn't have nearly as much money in the bike to start with, the cost ratio is MUCH more in your favor.

With an older FJR, you'd be "training" your body and skills for a new FJR MUCH better than you would be with a naked bike with half the power and a third of the weight. You probably already have the basic motorcycling skill set from your year and a half on the Piaggio. All you really need is to hone those skills with a 600+ pound bike with 145hp. You ain't gonna get that with some 1980s rat bike.

Besides, if you don't frag yourself on an '03 or '04, then you'd be ready to hop on a late model FJR without hesitation. And if you hadn't destroyed the bike in the process of preparing for the "leap" I bet you could get every penny back you spent on a well-kept Gen I. THEN go buy your new FJR.

But you WOULD wonder where all the power disappeared to. :D
RadioHowie,

Freaking hilarious...I enjoyed your comment :yahoo: And I never even thought about an older model, but now you've opened my eyes. Will be on the lookout for multiple options to see what comes my way.

Barry

Barry,
It sounds like you are a smart guy with a common sense approach to riding. It doesn't matter what you are riding as long as you have the maturity and control to be cautious and apply what you have learned. Any bike will eat your lunch if you let it. Good luck with whatever you choose, but keep in mind that in this market you are in the drivers seat. I just bought a super clean used 07' with 25k for $7000. Nicely farkled with one scratch on it. Keep your eyes open and keep asking the right questions.

Just my $.02

Tom
Tom,

Very good point and thank you for the advice. Will be looking for a ride to get the experience I need and would love to own a late model FJR in the future.

Barry

Very good point and thank you for the advice. Will be looking for a ride to get the experience I need and would love to own a late model FJR in the future.
Barry
Hi Barry,

So you are still looking and haven't made up your mind yet! Have you actually test rode an FJR yet? Anybody on here close to Oceanside that would let him ride for a few minutes? I still think that once you've actually been on one your mind WILL be made up...

Good luck!!!

Chris in Portland

There are some great buys out there... I just picked up a very nice 04 with 24k on it for $5600.

:yahoo:

Barry
Hi Barry,

So you are still looking and haven't made up your mind yet! Have you actually test rode an FJR yet? Anybody on here close to Oceanside that would let him ride for a few minutes? I still think that once you've actually been on one your mind WILL be made up...

Good luck!!!

Chris in Portland
Hi Chris,

Yes, there are a couple folks close by and I'll touch bases with them to learn more about the bike. By the way, how are you enjoying yours :yahoo: ?

Barry

There are some great buys out there... I just picked up a very nice 04 with 24k on it for $5600.
Don,

that sounds like a great purchase...I'm on the lookout for sure.

Hi Chris,
Yes, there are a couple folks close by and I'll touch bases with them to learn more about the bike. By the way, how are you enjoying yours :yahoo: ?

Barry
Hi Barry,

Great, I always thought you should ride one before making the decision.... About my FJR, I am definitely in love, but I still can't take her out on the open road. Riding around the driveway is just not that much fun :dribble: ..... I am expecting the title to get here in about 1 to 1-1/2 weeks from now. I knew it would take a while when I pulled the trigger, but waiting is just not one of my strong sides. :lol:

Hi Chris,

You have gotten great advice here. That said as reserved as you sound I agree that an older Fjr would work as long as you start out slowly. I bought a 2004 with only 6440 miles on it for $6300. I have not felt the heat problem some talk about but I wear ATGATT and the bike may have had the heat fix too.

I started riding in 1999 on a Royal Star Venture. That bike will make the FJR feel like the scooter you have now. It has a weight in the area of 900lbs. You can do it but you must be alert to what you are doing too.

Scoop

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a mature person (you sound like you are) the FJR is ok in my opinion. It is much much heavier than you are used to which is an issue only at low speeds and when stopped or stopping. Lots of us have dropped them in the driveway so be very careful when stopping and moving it around. Suspec the price is high. Probably can find a newer one for the same price or another 07 for quite a bit less. Good luck. I LOVE MY FJR. I will soon be 68 and hope to ride it for many more years.

If you are a mature person (you sound like you are) the FJR is ok in my opinion. It is much much heavier than you are used to which is an issue only at low speeds and when stopped or stopping. Lots of us have dropped them in the driveway so be very careful when stopping and moving it around. Suspec the price is high. Probably can find a newer one for the same price or another 07 for quite a bit less. Good luck. I LOVE MY FJR. I will soon be 68 and hope to ride it for many more years.
Great information and thanks for the compliment (about being mature...hehehe) :yahoo: Looking forward to that day when it's in my driveway

Hi Chris,

Barry

Hi Barry,

Great, I always thought you should ride one before making the decision.... About my FJR, I am definitely in love, but I still can't take her out on the open road. Riding around the driveway is just not that much fun :dribble: ..... I am expecting the title to get here in about 1 to 1-1/2 weeks from now. I knew it would take a while when I pulled the trigger, but waiting is just not one of my strong sides. :lol:
Patience my friend and you will get your wish...soon :rolleyes:

Hi Chris,You have gotten great advice here. That said as reserved as you sound I agree that an older Fjr would work as long as you start out slowly. I bought a 2004 with only 6440 miles on it for $6300. I have not felt the heat problem some talk about but I wear ATGATT and the bike may have had the heat fix too.

I started riding in 1999 on a Royal Star Venture. That bike will make the FJR feel like the scooter you have now. It has a weight in the area of 900lbs. You can do it but you must be alert to what you are doing too.

Scoop
Amen to that for sure