Useful opinions wanted on purchase decision

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoofus

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been eyeballing the many advertisements for new 2008/9 FJRs on line. There are even more advertisements for Concours - with ABS - from the same model years. The Concours are often a few hundred dollars less and come with a standard 3 year warranty.

I'm sure many FJR owners also considered the current model of Concours. What made you decide on the FJR?

Well, after my first FJR - took a slide.

I considered a C14, as my first bike was the C10.

However the FJR riding position was a better fit to me.

Some reading left me with the impression that it was difficult to work on (DIY)

It's a great bike. Then too, all the issues were fixed with the 2010 model,

and it wasn't worth the extra coin in comparison to the FJR...so I got an 08' FJR.

There are many threads already started on this, some with experience with ownership of both.

I selected the FJR because my opinion is the quality & reliability seems to be better than Kawi's. I've yet to be less than 100% satisfied with Yam sleds & other Yam bikes I've owned. I've experienced mechanical problems w/Kawi's & Hondas alike.

There are tons of C14 vs FJR reviews out there. The FJR gets the nod for comfort & overall, the reviews generally are tipped in the FJR's favor.

Ride before you buy - that's the best way to find out which you prefer.

From what I've gathered, it also matters greatly which years you are comparing. For example, the FJR's throttle issues were fixed in '08 (so I hear), and many of the C14's shortcomings were fixed in 2010.

When I was looking for an FJR (in 2007) the C14's were new on the market, priced much higher than used FJR's, and I still couldn't get past the fugly fins.

But today ... if I were to decide between a 2009+ FJR or C14, I'd get a Triumph Tiger 800.

Only the 2010 C14 would have sufficed since I didn't like the previous 2 years of the Connie, and it was just too darn expensive compared to an older used Gen II FJR. The FJR (at least the 2006 I got) is much lighter (580 vs 670 pounds dry), has more fuel capacity, and looks a lot better. I can't stand that potato launcher on the C14.

From what I've gathered, it also matters greatly which years you are comparing. For example, the FJR's throttle issues were fixed in '08 (so I hear), and many of the C14's shortcomings were fixed in 2010.

When I was looking for an FJR (in 2007) the C14's were new on the market, priced much higher than used FJR's, and I still couldn't get past the fugly fins.

But today ... if I were to decide between a 2009+ FJR or C14, I'd get a Triumph Tiger 800.
Comparing my 07 to 08 the stock throttle is way smoother on the 08. A huge difference.

Willie

The FJR (at least the 2006 I got) is much lighter (580 vs 670 pounds dry),
That HAS to be the first time this particular experssion has been used with any reference to an FJR :lol: :lol:

I think mine is closer to the 640# mark

Yea, I can't stand the potato launcher either and the "cat in heat" look of the Connie

Personally, I'd prefer the bike that doesn't cost almost as much as my car to fill up, so I suppose that means I favor the 87 Octane FJR. :D

Connies are great bikes but the discounts are primarily on the pre-2010 models. At least that was the case when I was looking last summer. The '09's had some issues that were addressed with the 2010 update. I rode a new 2009 before I decided on my FJR and didn't like it. It felt physically bigger and heavier. And the FJR seemed to handle better IMHO. The dealer also couldn't find the ignition puck thing on the Connie so nobody could start the bike until that was located which was about 10 minutes later... not a good first impression on what I feel is an overly complex system that has left some folks stranded. Also, from an asthetic perspective, I didn't care for the way the Connie looked. I thought the FJR was nicer looking. One last deciding factor were the mirrors on the 2009 Connie. Way too low and all I could see were elbows. But like I said I know a lot of these issues were addressed on the 2010 Connie and the magazines seem to be in love with that bike.

In addition to the previous comments I recently parked my FJR beside a C14. The rear end of the C14 is a fair bit higher, maybe 3", and for the times you would use a topbox, it makes the bike look ridiculous with a topbox so high even though the FJR puts it up fairly high as well. My previous C10 Connie was better than both in this regard.

In my opinion the Gen II FJR looks much better. The C14 has a look only a mother could love, although many others like the looks.

With the price of gas these days, I wouldn't want to use premium gas the C14 requires.

For ease of maintenance, after reading many posts here, and on the Concours websites, the FJR is clearly on top.

At the time of my purchase, my used '08 FJR was a much better deal than the upgraded 2010 C14. I would not have a bought an '08 or '09 C14 for a number of reasons, but mainly the heat.

The FJR uses a real key, not an unnecessary piece of sometimes troublesome technology (Kipass).

I in the camp that prefers less gears than more, and that alone is a big enough reason for me to favour the FJR.

I wish I could have ridden both before I made my decision, but that never happened, so I was swayed by what I read and saw. I came away with a great bike, but I'm sure the C14, is a great bike as well, especially from 2010 on, and if you like techno wizardry, the C14 has lots.

The FJR is like a Suburban, quality, useful, durable, affordable to operate and maintain. :rolleyes:

The Connie is like a Range Rover or Hummer, it does the same things the suburban does, it just costs more to operate, maintain and repair. :dribble: One real telling factor between the two bikes is the real fact that you see alot more FJR's out on the roads, then Connies. Most sport/tour & LD riders must prefer the FJR over the Connie. And most Sport/Tour & LD riders do their homework before buying anything of quality or value.

Hey Snoofus..makes me think of Snuffleupagus from Sesame Street..

Just my $.2 worth...

I just recently purchased a 2010 FJR (traded Kawasaki ZX-14). I know I'm not comparing Apples to Apples, but I will share with you that I believe the quality of the FJR is far better. The FJR also tends to hold it's value better...for this part of the country anyway.

I had the opportunity to test ride an FJR, ST1300, and C14 before I went with the FJR.

I'm short, and so the first thing I asked was for the seat on the Connie to be lowered. Unlike the FJR and ST1300, the seat height is fixed on the Connie (I've since learned there is a lower seat available somewhere).

I didn't known then about the premium gas requirement and the complicated maintenance on the Connie.

I wound up declining to ride the Connie. I didn't see the point in test riding a bike I found to be butt ugly and with a seat higher than I wanted.

I liked both the ST1300 and FJR, and went with the FJR for what are really personal preferences.