Useful opinions wanted on purchase decision

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"USEFUL" opinions wanted? "No useless opinions please?" Where do you think you are, here, Snoofus? This ain't the Royal Debating Society, you know, and the more you poke the bear, the more he's gonna growl at you. I'm kind of surprised you've gotten as many "useful" suggestions and opinions already as you have. :lol:

For contrasting opinions and suggestions, you might check out this site.

WTF? :unsure: I went to the site and looked at one topic on top of the list, "Top Speed", and they were saying they couldn't get it over 120mph? and one who said he went to 125 and it started wallowing? Thats pretty hard to defend when actual riders are posting this stuff up for all the world to see. :assassin:

WTF? :unsure: I went to the site and looked at one topic on top of the list, "Top Speed", and they were saying they couldn't get it over 120mph? and one who said he went to 125 and it started wallowing? Thats pretty hard to defend when actual riders are posting this stuff up for all the world to see. :assassin:
Those comments were for the previous C10 Connie not the new C14.

Both are great bikes. It really depends on which one fits you and your riding style the best and does *it* for you. For me, every time I go into the garage the FJR still does *it* for me! :)

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
"USEFUL" opinions wanted? "No useless opinions please?" Where do you think you are, here, Snoofus? This ain't the Royal Debating Society, you know, and the more you poke the bear, the more he's gonna growl at you. I'm kind of surprised you've gotten as many "useful" suggestions and opinions already as you have. :lol:

For contrasting opinions and suggestions, you might check out this site.
Actually I'll tweak your nose and say your post wasn't particularly "useful." :p There are only two postings on that forum made in 2011!

I ride 2-up much of the time. My wife eventually struggled up onto the rear seat of the C14, folded her legs up to get them on the pegs and announced both HELL NO and NEVER. End of story for us.

Edited to clarify that the rejected ride was a C14. My wife also said NO to the ST1300. She did say YES to the FJR and has logged about 60k miles on our FJR.

Hi,

I have been eyeballing the many advertisements for new 2008/9 FJRs on line. There are even more advertisements for Concours - with ABS - from the same model years. The Concours are often a few hundred dollars less and come with a standard 3 year warranty.

I'm sure many FJR owners also considered the current model of Concours. What made you decide on the FJR?
My opinion on my purchase decision, is that it was a good one.

:)

My reason was I had 2 local Yamaha dealers in a price war to sell me a bike.

The Kawi dealer (who I've bought bikes from since 1980) didn't try very hard.

Plus, I never buy the first year model of any new or significantly changed vehicle. I hate R&D....

Was that useful?

I hope it wasn't rude.

I hate it when I do that...

:lol:

Thanks for the feedback everyone - well almost everyone, you know who you are...

I spoke to a friend at a Kawasaki dealer. He also believes the labour (that's not a typo, everyone but y'all US citizens has a u in labour and honour and...) costs for repairs are higher for the Concours. He mentioned the mechanics grumble every time they have to work on one.

I think the most telling argument on here was the observation that the FJR has been around for a while and has had its kinks sorted out. If I was buying a Concours it would be the first or second model year with some unresolved issues it sounds like.

And I certainly agree the FJR is better looking than the Concours.

I think both bikes are great bikes.

I also have a ZX 14, great engine!

In the end, you gotta do the picking, not us.

I picked the FJR because it is a great bike and I like the looks. I don't like the looks of the C 14

My purchase was in 2009. The Connie's 2010 tweaks were/are impressive.

Looks (I still give it to the FJR). I can't comment on ride between the two, I only have FJR seat time. But once I got a ride, and consdiering the price to the FJR was 15% less than the Connie (after a YES warranty). It got simple.

I do get a kick out of those who comment on the cost of premium gas being a deal breaker. The total would be a difference of less than $2 a tank even at todays prices.

So Looks, Price and Performance. No match (for me) in either looks or price. Performance. I know the Connie is quicker. I've heard arguments for both on handling and braking.

End result: Happy FJR owner.

Actually I'll tweak your nose and say your post wasn't particularly "useful." :p There are only two postings on that forum made in 2011!
I usually leave "useful" to other folks. I was more going for "sarcastic." ;)

(That, um, "-" wasn't from me, BTW.)

Keep doing that thing that you do Mike and don't ever change. It's your strongest suit. :clapping:

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback everyone - well almost everyone, you know who you are...

I spoke to a friend at a Kawasaki dealer. He also believes the labour (that's not a typo, everyone but y'all US citizens has a u in labour and honour and...) costs for repairs are higher for the Concours. He mentioned the mechanics grumble every time they have to work on one.

I think the most telling argument on here was the observation that the FJR has been around for a while and has had its kinks sorted out. If I was buying a Concours it would be the first or second model year with some unresolved issues it sounds like.

And I certainly agree the FJR is better looking than the Concours.

In my situation I could only avail myself an opportunity to "test" sit on three different makes, an '07 FJR, '08 Connie, and '?? Honda ST. I preferred the in-saddle feel of the FJR and the ST1300. But not having even a permit at the ime, I didn't even have the luxury of giving each a test ride. My HD neighbor advised me to get endorsed first and then do a test ride before making a purchase and I almost waited till then. Giving it further consideration I concluded that even with an endorsement, I wouldn't have enough saddle time an any MC at that point to give an experienced rider's evaluation. Buying a smaller displacement bike first wasn't for consideration only to be selling it down the road for a liter+ bike upgrade. I felt I had to go for what I was working towards on this purchase.

So I did some further research, basing my purchase on this comparison review (click here) and took a gamble.

So far, no regrets.

:rockwoot: :bike:

Snoofus .. did you also post this question on the Connie forum?? Just wondering what kind of answers you got over there.

Rob

Snoofus .. did you also post this question on the Connie forum?? Just wondering what kind of answers you got over there.

Rob

I was wondering the same thing. I bet he'd get the same type of answers, just in the Connie's favor. They're both great bikes.

Buy the one you like the best.

Buy the one that YOU like the most. It really is that simple, your going to do that anyway no matter who says what here on the forum.

I passed on a 10 Connie because of the Kipass and single exhaust on the first check list round, then the seating position of the FJR won me over on the second check list round, and finally cost of the bike and maintenance being a PITA on the Connie(the FJR is not the easiest either but better)but the most important was longevity and miles being racked up on FJR's.

We all have our reasons for being on a FJR you just gotta find yours.

BTW I have learned that either bike is acceptable to BMW riders and clubs, and I get no ribbing when I attend breakfast on Sundays with the old BMW club from when I had my LT :p

One day a while back, I walked into a dealership and stood there for the longest time looking over two bikes: a new Connie and a new FJR. At that time I didn't know what I know now (thanks forum) about the resale value, the reliability, the ease of maintenance, the handling, the weight difference, and etc. But after just looking at the two bikes that day, I came away with this thought: I could probably put up with the Connie, but I would love to own the FJR. I didn't buy anything that day, but it was the first time I saw the two bikes side by side. I know now that I made the right decision. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?

Gary

darksider #44