Useful opinions wanted on purchase decision

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My purchase was in 2009. The Connie's 2010 tweaks were/are impressive.

Looks (I still give it to the FJR). I can't comment on ride between the two, I only have FJR seat time. But once I got a ride, and consdiering the price to the FJR was 15% less than the Connie (after a YES warranty). It got simple.

I do get a kick out of those who comment on the cost of premium gas being a deal breaker. The total would be a difference of less than $2 a tank even at todays prices.

So Looks, Price and Performance. No match (for me) in either looks or price. Performance. I know the Connie is quicker. I've heard arguments for both on handling and braking.

End result: Happy FJR owner.
That 2 dollars a tank can add up to quite a bit if you ride a lot not even getting into the extra money you have to spend to maintain the pig.

My purchase was in 2009. The Connie's 2010 tweaks were/are impressive.

Looks (I still give it to the FJR). I can't comment on ride between the two, I only have FJR seat time. But once I got a ride, and consdiering the price to the FJR was 15% less than the Connie (after a YES warranty). It got simple.

I do get a kick out of those who comment on the cost of premium gas being a deal breaker. The total would be a difference of less than $2 a tank even at todays prices.

So Looks, Price and Performance. No match (for me) in either looks or price. Performance. I know the Connie is quicker. I've heard arguments for both on handling and braking.

End result: Happy FJR owner.
That 2 dollars a tank can add up to quite a bit if you ride a lot not even getting into the extra money you have to spend to maintain the pig.
+1

In Canada it's about $0.14/liter extra for premium x 25 liters = $3.50 per tank or roughly 3 buck a beers or more after a good days ride.

And if you're in BF nowhere...good luck getting premium gas.

I've only managed a "test ride" on the 2010 C14. It was impressive handling and impressive to see real changes inspired from real feedback. If I owned a 2009 C14 I'd be one pissed-off Kawi customer.

The 2010 C14 suspension was noticeably better than FJR. But the cosmetics of the C14 were still dragging way behind. Eventually you get bored with that "one little thing she does so well" and start looking at the pretty girls again.

I bought a second FJR instead of a C14. Nothing better than two twins in the sack at the same time.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased my 09 before the 2010 version of the C14 was released. I don't regret my purchase at all and the only thing that would make me trade my bike in is if Yamaha released an updated FJR. If that doesn't happen, I still feel like I got the best bike...for me.

If your looking at an 08/09 one thing to notice is how many Kawi owners are selling them to get a 2010/11. That was what pushed me towards the FJR, if someone is willing to take a multi-thousand dollar hit in depreciation to get the 2010 upgrades then there must have been some pretty big user issues with the first gen C14.

+1, on a long day it will pay for your lunch. The MPGs, tank range, and regular fuel were huge selling points for me on my FJR. I ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere on my Harley 5 years back. I bought some good ol' boys lawn mower fuel and my bike pinged/detonated all the way to the next station. I'm very happy to have a machine that will run on anything now.

"USEFUL" opinions wanted? "No useless opinions please?" Where do you think you are, here, Snoofus? This ain't the Royal Debating Society, you know, and the more you poke the bear, the more he's gonna growl at you. I'm kind of surprised you've gotten as many "useful" suggestions and opinions already as you have. :lol:

For contrasting opinions and suggestions, you might check out this site.
One of the useful features of this site is the ignore list... welcome to mine.

"USEFUL" opinions wanted? "No useless opinions please?" Where do you think you are, here, Snoofus? This ain't the Royal Debating Society, you know, and the more you poke the bear, the more he's gonna growl at you. I'm kind of surprised you've gotten as many "useful" suggestions and opinions already as you have. :lol:

smiles_407.gif

A riding friend is a professional motorcycle mechanic with years of experience. He owns a Connie and recently posted on our riders list something like this as I paraphrase. "Checking/adjusting the valves on the Connie is a huge difficult time consuming pain in the ass. Tiny work space and lots of disassembly just to get to the valves. Work space likely designed only for tiny oriental hands." He finished by stating something like this, "If any of you Connie owners want me to do a valve check/adjustment, expect to lay out some serious cash."

Bill

Don't quit now. You do realize you can ruin his reputation too....

Newbs unite!

Don't take shit offa nobody!!

:upsidedown:

What has the world come to...

I bet I get a minus, whaddya bet...

:)

Newbs unite!

No way Russ, tu Papa plussed you!

But you're on the Rude Borderline!

Newbs unite!

Hell, I was plus fifty back in tha old daze.....

These newbs.

They don't git it....

Newbs unite!

There was another newb on a phucked up thread a while back...

Joe toolmaker stepped up and got beat down....

Soft suggestion....

Take a look...

:humblysubmitted:

Boo....

A riding friend is a professional motorcycle mechanic with years of experience. He owns a Connie and recently posted on our riders list something like this as I paraphrase. "Checking/adjusting the valves on the Connie is a huge difficult time consuming pain in the ass. Tiny work space and lots of disassembly just to get to the valves. Work space likely designed only for tiny oriental hands." He finished by stating something like this, "If any of you Connie owners want me to do a valve check/adjustment, expect to lay out some serious cash."

Bill
IIRC the valve adjust interval is about 14K miles on the connie vs. 26K on the FJR. Ouch

So basically... not even including the 5-10mpg better the FJR gets, just the price difference of 87 vs premium means we get 20 miles of riding paid for!

Snoofus .. did you also post this question on the Connie forum?? Just wondering what kind of answers you got over there.

Rob
Actually no, I haven't. I'd have to sign up for the Concours forum yadda-yadda-yadda and the truth is my mind is largely made up already. I don't think I could be persuaded to buy the Concours at this point. A friend works at a local Kawasaki dealer - he tells me the mechanics all groan when a Concours comes in because they don't like working on them.

From what I've been reading, one of the advantages of the FJR is that it's been in production since 2001. The issues the 08 and 09 Concours owners are going through will probably be long gone when that bike's been produced for ten years, too. I don't have the $ to be considering a 2010 Concours.

I've been looking for a used FJR, but prices in Vancouver BC are nuts. There's a 2006 at a dealer with somewhere in the 30-40K mile range and they want $11K. I can buy a new 2008 or 09 for that.

I've ridden a 2008 AE and was really impressed by the auto clutch system. I'm not sure how well it will work for low speed parking maneuvers, but I what I know I like.

I'm finding it aggravating that the well priced used models start about 2000 miles from home. There are several bikes on this forum that I'd be making offers on if they were a few hundred miles away. I don't know if that's because the economy is in better shape in NW USA or what.

At the moment I'm in contact with two dealers with 08 or 09 AE models and trying to see what kind of price they'll offer. The advertized prices are often much lower than the out the door price. I'm looking at Idaho and California for good pricing on new bikes - in this case under $11K.

If anyone knows of Washington or Oregon dealers who have bikes in that price range, I'd be happy to hear about them. I have been checking Craig's List, eBay, and Cycle Trader.

Rob