Using an iTouch as a GPS unit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russperry

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there is using an iPhone or iTouch as their GPS unit using one of the available apps? It seems that could simplify the electronics management somewhat. I was thinking of one of the docking stations (Magellan, TomTom, or Dual) with a RAM mount along with the app, then maybe a Sena SMH-10 bluetooth headset.

Any thoughts on that combination?

thanks

The problem I found with trying to use a smart phone as a GPS is that you need a data connnection to receive the map updates as you are riding along. My phone knew where I was, but since the map data had not been sent to the phone yet, all I saw was a gray screen.

What Blind squirrel said, plus the fact they're not waterproof. One surprise shower could ruin your day. I'm not sure how they'd hold up to the vibrations either.

IF you use the less expensive or free navigation apps, you run into the problem of having to update your map position via your data connection. However if you purchase one of the better apps such as Tom Tom or Navigon, the maps are included in the software, so the data connection is less important. There are also solutions out there to protect the phone from weather. You can do a blue tooth sync to a wireless headset and listen to your music, answer phone calls and get turn by turn instructions. Not as nice as a dedicated GPS unit, but considering the price, not a bad way to go.

I think you have all missed a key part of the OP's post. He would be buying a docking station that includes a GPS receiver. This allows the use of the device without having to rely on a data connection.

I was thinking of one of the docking stations (Magellan, TomTom, or Dual) with a RAM mount along with the app, then maybe a Sena SMH-10 bluetooth headset.

The only drawback would be the small screen size and lack of weather protection. One other problem with the iPhone/iTouch is you have to remove your glove to make any inputs.

He can still get an app like CoPilot Live which has the full maps in the device. I know they have it for iPhone, I'd assume it would run on an iTouch, although the "live" features (online search, frineds list, etc.) wouldn't work without a wi-fi connection. All it needs is GPS and it's self-contained, no data connection or Internet map lookups needed. But you do need a giant memory card.

Still, that tiny screen is useless while riding, but I guess you'd get voice prompts. I'd not want to mount it out in the weather or subject it to the vibration of being mounted.

I used my smartphone's GPS for riding, but on a point-to-point basis. I'd have to stop, get the phone out of my jacket pocket, and take a fix to see where I was and where I needed to be. Basically a position check, while the actual mapping would be in the tank bag window.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have all missed a key part of the OP's post. He would be buying a docking station that includes a GPS receiver. This allows the use of the device without having to rely on a data connection.

I was thinking of one of the docking stations (Magellan, TomTom, or Dual) with a RAM mount along with the app, then maybe a Sena SMH-10 bluetooth headset.

The only drawback would be the small screen size and lack of weather protection. One other problem with the iPhone/iTouch is you have to remove your glove to make any inputs.
Actually, have not missed the point at all. The GPS receiver only communicates with satellites to mark your position. The actual map graphic is supplied and updated by your data connection (cell service or wireless). This can be seen as you roll down the road and loose cell service. Your position is still being plotted by GPS, but you don't see a map on the screen. If you purchase software that includes the maps, then you can run without cell service.

If the dock is doing all the work of location finding, and there are apps that allow you to load maps to the memory for quicker access. My guess is it will work ok. I'm curious.

"But" for the price of the dock and the app, I would prefer to have my Garmin Nuvi 765 ($180.00 Amazon). It will Bluetooth to your phone and helmet. Make or receive calls via the Nuvi. It will also do preset routes. pretty much all the features of the Zumo for a fraction of the cost (minus weather protection). For that I carry a sandwich bag and a rubber band ;) (Or you could buy one of the ram mount water resistant boxes).

Low to mid end GPS units are cheaper than smart phones to replace if vibration or weather takes a toll.

Actually, have not missed the point at all. The GPS receiver only communicates with satellites to mark your position. The actual map graphic is supplied and updated by your data connection (cell service or wireless). This can be seen as you roll down the road and loose cell service. Your position is still being plotted by GPS, but you don't see a map on the screen. If you purchase software that includes the maps, then you can run without cell service.
Any of the docks the OP listed allow the iPod/iPhone to work as a stand alone GPS without a data connection. They include the software.

The docking station will give him his position via GPS, but unless you have a LOT of memory to load the entire map in, you will run out of map and into gray space. I don't believe the phone will get the map data via the GPS input. Since I have not tried using a phone with a GPS dock, I could be wrong. I used a GPS enabled smart phone and Google maps. In addition to the map problem the phone sucks power at a HUGE rate with the GPS receiver turned on. It ate my battery in a little over two hours.

The docking station will give him his position via GPS, but unless you have a LOT of memory to load the entire map in, you will run out of map and into gray space. I don't believe the phone will get the map data via the GPS input. Since I have not tried using a phone with a GPS dock, I could be wrong. I used a GPS enabled smart phone and Google maps. In addition to the map problem the phone sucks power at a HUGE rate with the GPS receiver turned on. It ate my battery in a little over two hours.
I've learned a bunch here so far, and found out a little more searching today on the WWW. Several posters appear correct that the cheaper nav apps (MotionX for example) need an active data connection to update maps, whereas Navigon (seems to be the preferred app) loads the entire map into the unit from the start.

As also correctly stated, the iTouch does NOT have the GPS receiver included, but the listed docks do have the receiver included. Also, these docks have cigarette lighter-type power connections so I should be able to keep my GPS and music powered up continually.

You all have brought up the issues of rain and vibrations which make me more nervous. I think I stumbled across some kind of waterproof enclosure (like for diving with cameras I guess) but don't know how compatible it might be with specific units.

However it turns out, I'll give some kind of update......

thanks

I don't think the GPS is what sucks the phone's battery. I think it's just the fact that the screen is on continuously while you're using GPS, unlike the dark time it spends in your pocket, belt clip, or man-purse (as if there was such a thing!) That said, you'd want to be sure you had a charging cable plugged into the phone while using it, just for that reason.

There are "apps" that will turn your smartphone into a golf GPS. Not to much going on with the display, but the continuous pinging antenna's for your location ate up a fresh battery before finishing 18.

My Google phone did a great job as a short term get me from point A to B, but I was quickly in search of a dedicated GPS unit for plotting routes, etc.

I'm not a fan of the idea (If you didn't notice), but here is a couple water boxes.

Pricey Not So Pricey

I've learned a bunch here so far, and found out a little more searching today on the WWW. Several posters appear correct that the cheaper nav apps (MotionX for example) need an active data connection to update maps, whereas Navigon (seems to be the preferred app) loads the entire map into the unit from the start.

As also correctly stated, the iTouch does NOT have the GPS receiver included, but the listed docks do have the receiver included. Also, these docks have cigarette lighter-type power connections so I should be able to keep my GPS and music powered up continually.

You all have brought up the issues of rain and vibrations which make me more nervous. I think I stumbled across some kind of waterproof enclosure (like for diving with cameras I guess) but don't know how compatible it might be with specific units.

thanks
The new iTouch DOES have GPS included...

thanks
The new iTouch DOES have GPS included...

Only when logged in WiFi

There seems to be some confusion about access to GPS on the iTouch.

I don't have one, but everything I'm reading says that by itself, it has no GPS. It approximates your position by locating WiFi signals as you move around. How it knows whose WiFi is there and where they are is beyond me.

The cradle adds a real GPS receiver, and software with maps to use it. No Wi-fi connection required. So in the cradle, it can be a GPS device. As far as a motorcycle GPS device, I wouldn't think so.

I used my iphone4 with the Navigon app for a trip into WV back in the fall. I was on an FZ6 and I had the phone in a waterproof case. First of all I had to keep it plugged in because the screen/app would drain the battery quickly. The case was rigged so I could have the charger plugged in (good thing...I'll get to that in a minute) but it was a tight fit. The reflection off the case plastic made it hard to read in the sun and of course you can't operate the phone through the plastic cover. I realized after we got going that I should've locked the screen into landscape position because every time I turned the handlebars the screen shifted orientation. That was an easy enough to fix but was annoying until the group pulled over for a break.

There were two main reasons I didn't like using the phone on the bike. The phone gets extremely hot with the app running and I'd look down and the yellow triangle would be on the screen telling me the unit had overheated. I guess if I had it out of the waterproof case this wouldn't have happened but then the phone is out there all unprotected.

When we were at the cabin my buddies had there Zumo's programming in the next days routes. Well it's a huge pain in tail to try and do that on the iphone. We never could figure it out.

On a positive note, the voice and music came thru nice and loud bluetoothed into my earbuds via a Sony bluetooth dongle. Now I have a Sena smh-10 and that works great too.

There's a reason I said earlier that it's a good thing my phone was plugged onto the charger. As I'm going around Charleston, WV on I-64 with traffic on either side of me, I feel something hit my left leg. I do a quick glance down and the #$@^&%$ case had come loose from the mount and is now skipping along the interstate with my iphone in it tethered to the bike by the charger cord. Man, I feel like an idiot as I'm trying to keep the throttle on with my right hand and winching up the cord with my left hand all while doing about 75mph. I finally get the case pinned between my belly and the tank until I can get pulled over. Good thing it didn't get in the chain or wheel.

Phone was okay and I was able to get my money back from Mount Guys for the crappy case/mount (good customer service BTW).

I'm now looking for a Zumo and better mount for my new to me 06 FJR.

There seems to be some confusion about access to GPS on the iTouch.

I don't have one, but everything I'm reading says that by itself, it has no GPS. It approximates your position by locating WiFi signals as you move around. How it knows whose WiFi is there and where they are is beyond me.

The cradle adds a real GPS receiver, and software with maps to use it. No Wi-fi connection required. So in the cradle, it can be a GPS device. As far as a motorcycle GPS device, I wouldn't think so.
Why do you think it would not work for a motorcycle? Not waterproof? Too small? I really like the idea of needing only a single device for both GPS and music, though I've seen the Sena demos that show you CAN hookup separate GPS, phone AND MP3 player to the headset. I thinking that my Blackberry phone will last all day without a charge, then I only need the one power hookup through the glove box to run the GPS/iTouch combo.