Using linked brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kootenayguy

Reaction score
I am having a little trouble getting used to these linked brakes. My Ninja had limited rear brakes, the majority of the braking came from the front. I found it was not necessary to "squeeze" the front brake as I had read and been instructed to. However, grapping that front brake with little thought on the FJR results in tipp overs (don't ask me how I know that but my seperated shoulder might know). I understand that using the rear brake applies 25% of the front brake so, lately I have been using the rear brake with that in mind and gently squeezing the front brake (using the front brake more out of habit really). How do you people managed the brakes on your FJR

I think you need some practice (seriously, no offence intended) on a deserted back road with a good surface. I can rapidly squeeze a FULL handful of the front brake without any issues, to the point where the ABS kicks in. I try to practice at least a couple of times a month on a deserted stretch of road using the front, rear, and then both brakes as hard as I can. Usually look ahead and pick a point that I target for the stopping point.

Grip the tank with your knees, pressure on the pegs, not the bars, hand haul away! Start slowly and work your way up so as not to do what you apparently did before. You only have to be going about 50-60 MPH to get a good feel of how the bike is going to respond. If you're having tip over problems, just use the rear brake below about 10 MPH.

These bikes have great brakes for the amount of weigh they have to haul down.

Only 25%, IIRC, or so of the braking action of the front brake is activated with the rear brake lever and then only after you're really starting to get on it. For light rear braking, only the rear brake is active (like airliner brakes).

No offense taken.

My tip over happened in a parking lot and at the moment of the tip over I was not moving (I was very relieved to get my fall out of the way at 0 km/hour!) I realized too late that the parking lot was not cambered in my favour and when I went to reach down with my foot there was nothing there to my surprise. This, combined with grabbing that front brake incorrectly, I believe resulted in my fall. At highway speeds I am not having any problems. I use both, but smoothly. I did go and practice stopping from around 10 km and used the method I desribed in my orginal post. Just wondering if thats what you guys do when coming to a stop from that kind of speed.

I think one thing you really need to understand is these bikes are fairly heavy, and if you "stop" or slow down to a crawl and have not got the bike pointed straight with a foot down and ready, it will fall like a rock and there is little you can do about it.

Your fall has nothing to do with the linked brakess, which I think are completely invisable to the rider.

Grabbing alot of your front brake while turning at crawling speeds is a sure fire way to go down...this is true of any bike really, but heavy ones tend to go down easier ...lol.

In parking lot manuvers I usually just use the clutch and the throttle to move about and do not hit the brakes until I am pointed straight, the bike is up staight , and I am ready to stop...(both legs out)

The brakes on the FJR are highly rated, perhaps you are just not used to them yet, the suggestion to practice braking is a good one, but it sounds like you need some parking lot practice on going slow.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
This, combined with grabbing that front brake incorrectly,
"Grabbing" the front brake lever is (almost) always not a good idea. For proper braking of a motorcycle the front tire needs to receive the loading from weight transfer forward. "Grabbing" the front brake may cause the front brakes to lock (and skid the tire) because the weight loading isn't enough for the braking power being applied.

The correct/proper procedure is a 'progressive' squeeze of the front brake lever.

No offense taken.My tip over happened in a parking lot and at the moment of the tip over I was not moving (I was very relieved to get my fall out of the way at 0 km/hour!) I realized too late that the parking lot was not cambered in my favour and when I went to reach down with my foot there was nothing there to my surprise. This, combined with grabbing that front brake incorrectly, I believe resulted in my fall. At highway speeds I am not having any problems. I use both, but smoothly. I did go and practice stopping from around 10 km and used the method I desribed in my orginal post. Just wondering if thats what you guys do when coming to a stop from that kind of speed.
Your description does not place any blame on linked brakes at all. You stopped and couldn't reach the ground.

Never stop a leaned bike. You can't hold it up.

If you're talking about using the clutch's friction zone for slow maneuvering, with rear brake to balance thrust and drag, then the link has nothing to do with it. You have to get a good bit of rear before the link kicks in.

I agree with what's already been said,

Your fall was not related to linked brakes.

Practice is good.

Progressive application is important-giving the weight transfer time to shift more traction to the front.

In addition, stay off the front brakes as much as possible if the surface is slippery, ie: gravel parking lots.

These FJR ABS brakes are best used the same way you would properly use any brakes.

All the same modulations should be applied.

Difference is only in that they work better than most and lock up less than most, allowing you to push the envelope more than with normal brakes.

Your fall has nothing to do with the linked brakess, which I think are completely invisable to the rider. Grabbing alot of your front brake while turning at crawling speeds is a sure fire way to go down...this is true of any bike really, but heavy ones tend to go down easier ...lol.

In parking lot manuvers I usually just use the clutch and the throttle to move about and do not hit the brakes until I am pointed straight, the bike is up staight , and I am ready to stop...(both legs out)

KM
You gunned it there. When that fork dives at parking lot speed, it's down before you realized it. Use the pedal brake and clutch control.

Hi,

Brake modulation is not crtical with ABS. . . It is desirable. However, in a panic stop you can "grab" the front brake with all your strength and you will not lock the front wheel. Even when hitting the dreaded white plastic lettering at a stop sign in the rain while braking hard the front only locked for a small fraction of a second, only enough to get the "pucker" feeling. Please remember that while braking hard it is advisable to look to the horizon, if you look down at the ground it is harder to stay on balance.

Agreed, braking with the front below 10mph is a great way to dump the bike. The ABS does not work at that low a speed and there is no gyroscopic effect to keep the wheel straight. When the front locks at the bike immediately tries to pass the front forks, effectively turning the wheel hard and dumping the bike.

Thanks

Jim

I am having a little trouble getting used to these linked brakes. My Ninja had limited rear brakes, the majority of the braking came from the front. I found it was not necessary to "squeeze" the front brake as I had read and been instructed to. However, grapping that front brake with little thought on the FJR results in tipp overs (don't ask me how I know that but my seperated shoulder might know). I understand that using the rear brake applies 25% of the front brake so, lately I have been using the rear brake with that in mind and gently squeezing the front brake (using the front brake more out of habit really). How do you people managed the brakes on your FJR
Last year, after nearly 40 years of riding motorcycles, I retook a Motorcycle Safety Foundation intermediate class. A rider unconciously develops a lot of bad habits over time. The MSF course helped correct those and helped re-introduce many basic skills I'd forgotten about.

From your description it sounds to me--intending no offense--that an MSF class would be of benefit.