V-STORM HANDGUARDS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICK K

Reaction score
Just bought a new 2015. It will take a couple of weeks to get it. I have been buying the farkels for it ahead of time. My question is, does anyone know the part numbers or what I need to order for the gen111. The more I search the more I get confused. Thanks, Rick

Well, you might start by spelling it correctly. V-Strom...not a storm. Also, the concensus is it's farkles with the e and l flipped. And since I'm doing it all....very few people call it gen111. It's usually Gen 3 and sometimes Gen III with roman numeral I's.

Call Desert Valley Powersports as they have the parts list all built up.

I just bought a set of handguards designed for a 1000cc V-Stombolli from my local Suzuki dealer. They figured out the part number. On the throttle side you will need to fabricate a small extension out of aluminum. I drilled some holes in the top of mine to make access to the screws easier, then used plastic plugs to seal the holes. This step is not required, but makes installation easier. Once you have the guards installation becomes intuitive. In the attached picture you'll see a prototype of an extension I added for riding in cold weather.

IMG_1390_zps15480671.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you might start by spelling it correctly. V-Strom...not a storm. Also, the concensus is it's farkles with the e and l flipped. And since I'm doing it all....very few people call it gen111. It's usually Gen 3 and sometimes Gen III with roman numeral I's.
I was kinda thinkin the same thing, being friday and all...but I figured I'd leave it to the one of the professionals...Oh and it's "consensus".

Oh, and I also have the DL1000 hand guards...they work great.

I was wondering if the new FJ-09 hand gards would bolt up. I am not sure if there available yet from Mama Yamaha.

Dave

I couldn't swap over the V-Strom guards from the Gen 2 to the Gen 3.Clearance problems with the 2 dash protrusions.
I believe the current V-Strom 1000 handguards are different, but I have Helibars on mine; perhaps the reason they do not hit the protrusions.

I don't understand the hand guard thing. I always thought they were for dirt bikes. I don't plan on riding my FJR through the bushes. If I ever do, my hands won't be my biggest worry.

I don't understand the hand guard thing. I always thought they were for dirt bikes. I don't plan on riding my FJR through the bushes. If I ever do, my hands won't be my biggest worry.
If you ever ride in cold weather without heated grips..you'll get it.
...and when it's really cold, they work great holding handlebar muffs off the levers!

--G

If you ever ride in cold weather without heated grips..you'll get it.
...and when it's really cold, they work great holding handlebar muffs off the levers!

--G
Like tomorrow. It will be a heated grips, hand guards and water shed day. Hi 20's with summer gloves and warm hands. Us old bastards is pretty smartttt.

Come on Iggy, cut the guy a break, this does come across a little "Prick Like"

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. -- Nelson Mandela

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Iggy, cut the guy a break, this does come across a little "Prick Like"

Well, you might start by spelling it correctly. V-Strom...not a storm. Also, the consensus is it's farkles with the e and l flipped. And since I'm doing it all....very few people call it gen111. It's usually Gen 3 and sometimes Gen III with roman numeral I's.
Certainly your opinion. But, I will always work to try and reduce the number of people on search welfare on this forum. There's 3 terms that would make searches fail. ;)

I was kinda thinkin the same thing, being friday and all...but I figured I'd leave it to the one of the professionals...Oh and it's "consensus".

THANK YOU!
thumbsupsmiley.png

punk.gif
Awesome.

After reading these posts, I still don't get it...does the VStrom handguards fit Gen 3? DAve
Yes. I have them on my 2013. They require some minor enlargement of the hole that clips over the end of the handle bar and the fabrication of a small aluminium extension on the throttle side. I have heli-bars on mine , so there is no issue with the guards hitting anything.