V stream or other? Little help please deciding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeldeal72

Reaction score
I know, I know these things get posted all the time but as always one can never find just the right post to help them make up their mind, so they have to ask again. :huh:

Anyway, I had my 08 for 2 weeks and the weather here in Chicagoland as greatly improved. I'm 5' 11'' and find that the stock shield when fully raised has the wind hitting my right in the forehead, so i'm looking for my first major mod of a different windshield.

I'd like something that when fully down will not have it's top end right across my line of vision, but when fully raised allows me to look through the shield and give me a pocket of quite airspace crusing down the freeway.

The v-streams seem heavily advertised but don't really say how much taller they are than stock. I've heard a givi screen is about 2 inches taller with a lip at the top. The Yamaha touring shield is supposed to be 4 inches taller and 1/2 wider, but I've heard it has been discontinued.

So - anybody who has switch out their windscreens - can you tell me if you've been happy with it (what kind) and why?

Thanks, answers greatly appeciated :D

I'm looking at the V-Stream as well and want to hear from those who run it now. I'm not as tall so most screens will fit me. I like what I've heard so far :yahoo:

Go to this LINK. My post, post#8, has two other links about the V-Stream. You can read all about it. There are plenty more links too, doing a search. I have the V-Stream installed currently and I love it for winter, it keeps me warmer, I'm out of the air flow. It's about ready to come off as the temperature rises in SoCal. :yahoo:

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put an XL CALSCI on my '08, and tested it out for 160 miles today. Love it! I'm also 5'11". I probably could have gotten by with the large, but I figured if the XL was too big I just wouldn't raise as high. This was the case, I was still an inch, or two from maximum height when comfortable.

+1 for the V-Stream. I added the equivalent of a 3/4" 'tuning block' to obtain great coverage with it all the way up and get quite a bit of nice smooth air when it's all the way down.

Right now I definitely believe it's at least a 3-season shield for my area. I haven't run it in the sweltering Georgia summer heat yet. If it turns out to be too much coverage for the heat of summer I'll pop the stock shield back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Vstream I just purchased for my 06 that may be up for sale soon. I think it is about 4 inches over stock as it is about as tall as my yamaha tall screen. It is wider at top than most others so it does block more air. Because its curved, like the yamaha tall, it does not look all that bad on the bike. I just prefer my calsci as it offers a little more air and less buffeting for me, but everyone is different. I even like the yamaha tall more when full down but it is very noisy, which gets very old on a long trip.

I am going to run the cal sci on a long trip this weekend and it I still like it the Vstream will be up for sale.

Thanks everyone

Sounds like my options are the V-stream, Cee Bailey, or CalSci and that anyone of them will do want I am looking for and if I get too warm I can always put the stocker back on. Now I just it comes down to searching for the right price $$

I just put an XL CALSCI on my '08, and tested it out for 160 miles today. Love it! I'm also 5'11". I probably could have gotten by with the large, but I figured if the XL was too big I just wouldn't raise as high. This was the case, I was still an inch, or two from maximum height when comfortable.
+1

CalSci XL is just about perfect for me, at 6'2".

For me, the CalSci works better than the comparably sized CB Flip. It's really a matter of personal taste & riding style, though.

Like others, my stock shield buffets my head too much when raised in an attempt to find smooth air. I have a Vstream and it is a huge improvement for smooth air when raised. I don't even need to raise it all the way up for smooth air (I'm 5'11" and have seat in low position). As a matter of fact I never raise it all the way up because then I have to look through the shield and I don't like that (plus it doesn't make my still air pocket any better).

My biggest concern is summer heat with this barndoor sized windshield. For blasting backroads or short trips, the stock shield would be fine for summer use. But long trips are sooo much nicer in a still air pocket. I'll probably get a Cee Bailey +2 high +0 wide with flip for summer use and keep the Vstream for winter use.

I've actually got 3 shields at the moment... A Cal Sci Medium, the Stocker, and a Cee Bailey sport shield which I just bought. The Sport shield flows a lot of air, and I think may replace the stocker as the standard summer option. I'm happy with the Cal Sci shield for the colder months.