V-stream windshield question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZSteve

Reaction score
I installed my National Cycle V-stream windshield yesterday and took it for a 90 minute test run. It does work much better than the stock screen to reduce buffetting, but there were a couple of issues I had concerns about. At the lowest setting, the entire windshield mount mechanism seemed to shake rattle and roll at speeds greater than 40mph. Raised to upper settings, the mechanism steadied down, but the upper part of the screen continued to flutter. I examined the attachment points, and found two bushings had pushed out past the back a little, so I'm going to reinstall and tighten those more carefully. Is it my attachment insecure, or do all V-stream owners experience this? I couldn't find any mention of this behavior in previous posts. I saw some positive posts about Rifle products here; do Rifle screens flex while riding too? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get some small flex at speed but no problems as you mention. Do you have all the screws properly torqued? Don't over tighten, you'll pull the nut mount out. Good luck.

I have one on my '05. I am not sure how different the mounting systems are between genI and genII machines

The V-Stream is alot bigger and thicker than the stock shield...

I have noticed in the down position it seems to flex the mounting system a bit.

When cleaning it i hold the top of the shield and dont press to hard.

In the half way to full upright position i see a little "flutering" but nothing i worry about.

alan

Had one on my '05. I got rid of it partly because of what you mention.

The primary reason was that it is just so damn big.

One man's bearable "fluttering" is another man's unbearable "flapping around"...

Fred,

If my V-Stream was "flapping around" i too would find an atternitave shield...

i'm not sure fluttering would be the correct term, it does move, but it is so very slight IMO. it moves most in the lower to middle range. middle range to full up, very little movement...

alan

Mine also moves the most in the lowest position. I atribute the movement to it's much larger size. Maybe someone with another brand shield could let us know if theirs also moves.

Mine also moves the most in the lowest position. I atribute the movement to it's much larger size. Maybe someone with another brand shield could let us know if theirs also moves.
I currently have the Rifle Touring, which is another jumbo piece of lexan, with the rifle "tuning block" installed. With this shield I get none of the movement that I got with the V-stream.

EZSteve;

There are many threads regarding Many different windshields in this forum. A good search would keep you busy reading for days.

I have a V-Stream on my 05. I too have similar issues, it's all a trade off, I guess.

Yes the V-Stream is far larger than stock and therefore catches more wind and stresses the mounts etc considerably more. Mine also works best at about half way to two-thirds up. I watch my speed and the brackets to see how the windshield is flying so to speak. If I see it being flexed around I either adjust the windshield or I adjust my speed.

I do like the V-Stream it keeps me warmer in the winter and the noise is far less and buffeting to my head is reduced, you just have some other side affects that you must deal with. I run the stocker in the summer as the V-Stream blocks too much air and I'm too hot.

Good luck.

**EDIT***

Go to these two threads and read about windshields, and I have my view of the V-Stream in them.

Windshield thread #1

Windshield Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I installed mine a couple of months ago and could only ride a couple of times, but I'm experiencing the same thing. I dont think you mounted it wrong, that's just the way it is. It blocks wind like crazy, so it's just a matter of getting used to the flutter.

I have had my V-Stream since they first became available for the Gen-2 FJR.

It does not shake any more than the original stock shield, but the movement is amplified by the increased height and width. It's actually made of much sturdier material.

I commute through some of the windiest areas in the country (5000 wind farm turbine generators) and find my V-Stream to be one of the best improvements to my bike! Much better than stock! Bill Mayer Saddle and PC-III round out the top three improvements.

Recently installed the Vstream and concur with the same issues of flex as in not coming across as real stable. Great recommendation about holding the top when cleaning as I don't feel good about putting too much pressure on the windshield while cleaning it. Vstream does a good job of blocking wind and in the half-way up position it is seems to be more stable. My dealer stated that perhaps they could tweak the lift mechanism on the next visit to take out some of the shake. News at eleven.....

Update on previous post.

Based on online reviews I went for a Large Cal-Sci screen for summer. I'm keeping my V-Stream for winter.

I like that the Cal-Sci center vent puts a mild cooling breeze around my neck which was much appreciated the other day. I run it about 90% height, which doesn't knock down the noise as much as the V-Stream but is way better than stock. I really appreciated that Cal-Sci replaced the crummy plastic screws with stainless steel.

When I went to remove it for the install, the cosmetic windscreen bracket fell off when I grabbed it. (called a 'washer leg cover'). Apparently I had crushed both the little plastic tabs that hold it on, probably overtorqued. Fortunately replacements are easily available online.

Update on previous post.
Based on online reviews I went for a Large Cal-Sci screen for summer. I'm keeping my V-Stream for winter.

I like that the Cal-Sci center vent puts a mild cooling breeze around my neck which was much appreciated the other day. I run it about 90% height, which doesn't knock down the noise as much as the V-Stream but is way better than stock. I really appreciated that Cal-Sci replaced the crummy plastic screws with stainless steel.

When I went to remove it for the install, the cosmetic windscreen bracket fell off when I grabbed it. (called a 'washer leg cover'). Apparently I had crushed both the little plastic tabs that hold it on, probably overtorqued. Fortunately replacements are easily available online.
There's a good reason those screws are plastic... In a get-off you want that windshield to break away.

I personally know of on such get off, and the group riding with him all donated a screw so that he could remount his shield and get home (or back to EOM at the time). Had he had stainless screws a lot more damage would have been done.

I certainly changed my attitude about the screws.