v-strom hand guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i only saw one post on here from a couple of years ago, has anyone put these on a Gen 2 bike, as i have an 08
I have them on my '08. I don't know if there is a difference betwen Gen 1 or 2 in this regard. You can click on my webshots in the signature line below for pictures.

Got 'em on my '07, no problems whatsoever.

Edit - I did have to do some Dremel work on the throttle side guard as the Brakeaway CC I have interferes with the lower mounting point, but that wasn't a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
No difference between Gen I and Gen II. Just a problem on the left side if you have an AE though I believe some have developed a solution.

Same for Gen 2 and Gen 1....unless you've got an AE...inwhich things get far trickier....but doable.

You can fit a couple of washes in the end of the bar ends. There is a recess for the washes to fit and give the necessary offset so the hand guard doesn't snag the throttle tube.

Andy

I just ordered a pair from Desert Valley Powersports 3 weeks ago. I talked to the parts guy (glen?) who sent me everything including the mounting hardware. I think it was like $75 delivered.

Im not sure if he sent me the guards for the V-Strom or the Weestrom, but the kit worked perfectly. I did think they did seem a little small and not all that high, but it works. No trimming nessisary at all.

No instructions though. But....you dont really need them

WORTH the money.

Question for those who have installed the V-Strom hand guards and the BrakeAway throttle lock. Did you trim the grip or use the spacer and stretch the hand guard out a little further on the throttle side?

It looks like I will either need to get a longer screw for the bar end or trim the grip.

Question for those who have installed the V-Strom hand guards and the BrakeAway throttle lock. Did you trim the grip or use the spacer and stretch the hand guard out a little further on the throttle side?

It looks like I will either need to get a longer screw for the bar end or trim the grip.
Answered your PM, but for the sake of the discussion, I used the BrakeAway's spacer and did not trim the grip on my installation. The guard is probably a bit stretched as a result, but it works fine. I stacked a couple of washers on the end of the spacer and topped it off with a homemade aluminum washer to provide the protection for the grip from the guard (to prevent binding). I'm actually thinking about removing the BrakeAway at some point as I rarely use it (Crampbuster does the job for me).

A couple messages ago, I mentioned that I was trying to decide whether to try to find a longer screw for a bar end or to trim my right grip after installing a BrakeAway. Because I didn't want to stretch/distort the hand guard, I decided to trim 1cm off the end of the grip, which was the width of the spacer that came with the BrakeAway. Part of my logic for this decision is that I found the installs on most all bikes other than the FJR, the BrakeAway is installed over the grip and uses up 1 cm of the grip anyway. I cut off the end of the grip slowly with a band saw and dressed it with a belt sander. Everything went together perfectly and I don't think I'll miss the 1cm of grip. I did have to trim the lower portion of the right guard to clear where the BrakeAway mounts to the brake lever.

I did initially move the clutch toward the grip, as suggested, but noticed I had to rotate the lever up to clear the left switch housing. As I sat on the bike with everything installed, it didn't feel as natural, so I decided to loosen the clutch lever again and I could easily move it nearly back to the original location and rotate it back down.

Please note that I do not have heated grips. If you want to install heated grips, you will likely need to use the spacer and locate a longer bar end screw. Since I see that the hand guards allow for some play.

I'm really happy with everything so far and anxious to get the bike on the street. Unfortunately, we're under a winter storm advisory again now! That will give me a few more days to finish things up on it - plan to install Signal Dynamics head and tail light modulators and wire up my GPS and I should be ready to travel!

For those interested - I purchased the hand guards and the two pan head screws and washers needed to mount them to the pivot screws through RonAyers.com for $66. I purchased Gearman's custom bar ends and pivot screws for $55 and they are very nicely done! I saw on another forum where a rider painted his guards with Krylon gloss black paint for plastic. I was tempted, but after installing them on my black bike, the black plastic blends well with the seat and the black plastic on the bags and trunk mounting plate.