V-Strom Hand Guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
Quick question for those that have done this mod.

Are the hand guards for the 2004 V-Strom still the preferred way to go (I already checked FJRTech) or is there a later version that will work better?

Thank ya's all.

I did the mod just a couple weeks ago. I used the 2004 parts as listed on FJRTech. I don't regret it.

Things that I learned:

• Don't freak-out about the throttle-side bolt sticking up an extra 1/4 inch. It's harmless. Really.
  • It's hard to get the nut|washer|plastic|washer|nut interface just right, so I didn't bother. My guards are only held on by the screw on the top and at the end of the grip. I did put the bottom nuts on, but the guard is merely "hugging" the nuts, nothing more. Because of this, I put blue thread-lock on the screw that goes in the top.
  • My technique for avoiding interference with the throttle grip was to move everything on the throttle side (brake lever, buttons, throttle) deeper onto the handlebar, about 3/16". This required drilling some new indexing holes in the handlebar, but it was easy.
  • When you carve out the holes at the end of the guard, it was helpful for my installation to leave the hole press-fit-tight, so that you can be sure the guard stays put and doesn't slide into the throttle.

YMMV.

I put those on a couple years ago and don't regret it. I used a UNI-BIT, stepped drill for differing hole diameters, to drill out the ends. Came out pretty good. The bit drilled them to the correct size. I don't remember which tool as the come in different sizes. They are expensive but work great for sheet metal drilling and plexiglass.

I was not happy with the left side throttle fit / interference I ended up with a set of bar ends from Gearman that have a groove machined in them for the hand guards to snap on to. Much cleaner install and no drag on the throttle at all.

Hi Roger.

Might be too late with this, and it may not apply anyway. :)

I ran BarkBusters on my V-Strom and was very happy with them, so I decided to do the same when I bought the FJR.

As I don't have a Throttlemeister, I was able to install the Storms. For me, they have been excellent, but I remember some people didn't like them, claiming they became loose, not a problem I've had.

003-3.jpg

Al.

Hi Roger.

I ran BarkBusters on my V-Strom and was very happy with them, so I decided to do the same when I bought the FJR.

As I don't have a Throttlemeister, I was able to install the Storms. For me, they have been excellent, but I remember some people didn't like them, claiming they became loose, not a problem I've had.

003-3.jpg

Al.
Hey Al :) ... I saw the Storms on-line yesterday, didn't realize they'd fit .... hmmmmm!

I used a forstner bit to enlarge the holes, 3/4 inch I believe.

The left side sits out far. But you can cut off the stock mounting area and re-drill bringing the hand guard in closer.

Just got back from the local Suzuki dealer. Parts ordered - wait 5 days, that'll do. Those bolts must be "special" !! $21 each :eek:
The good news is, once you get them done the guards are as easy to take off or put on in the spring and fall as your helmet. Isn't that worth at least $21?

Hello,

Any chance of getting some pictures of the inboard end of you installation?

Thank you.

Hi Roger.

003-3.jpg

Al.
Hey Al :) ... I saw the Storms on-line yesterday, didn't realize they'd fit .... hmmmmm!