v65 very short ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You, a 'Busa?
a joke actually. :) i suspect that when the meds wear off and the bike is settled i will be making some hard decisions about bikes. if the fjr isn't totaled the decision is easy. if it is totaled, well to be honest i am not convinced i fully learned my lesson yet. fishtailing a bike at speed is damn sobering, but i have this gut feeling that over time i will be back on the hammer none the wiser. my family has the stupid gene in it when it comes to bikes. :(

i upgraded the armor in the sirocco to that new super material stuff, the stock stuff looked weak. this stuff is compliant normally but stiffens on impact. i guess it worked! The boots are sidi on road sympatecs.

agree on the friction on the inside of the coat, just the top layer of skin is gone. my dr., who also rides, looked at it and said it was nothing. i said it does sting a bit doc, he replied "i've seen a lot worse" and moved on. jerk :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
bike shop just called. adjuster stopped counting at $7000, it's totaled. :(
Well, that's no longer a doubt. About the next bike. Yes, I knew you were joking about the 'busa. As was I. Buy what makes you happy and puts that silly grin on your face when you ride it. Just try to remember that "traction pie" stuff they taught you in the MSF class. Like SkooterG says "Stupid Hurts".

As much as I like my FJR, if I were in your position, I'd still look around and test ride everything before deciding what to buy next. Damn good used bike market for buyers right now too.

I got a similar friction burn and shoulder injury from my Joe Rocket mesh jacket when I crashed. It was too loose and I was wearing a cotton t-shirt underneath.

Now my (Revit Turbine) jacket is much tighter and I wear synthetic long sleeve shirts underneath to protect from friction burn.

It's possible the shoulder injury is not from impact, but from rolling at 60mph and flailing your arm in unnatural directions.

Glad you are okay. It's gonna take a couple of months before you can get back on a bike without getting the heebie jeebies.

[SIZE=12pt]Sorry to hear about your painful ride.[/SIZE]

I think your right about lower air pressure, well the pressure on that little sticker on the bike being the best for the roads in this part of the country.

I've had a drifting moment on cold tires too, that part where you said you weaved the bike to warm up the tires may not do much good:

[SIZE=12pt]https://www.sportrider.com/tips/146_0810_how_to_warm_up_new_tires/index.html[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So whats the next bike?[/SIZE]

So whats the next bike?
gearup_02_520front.jpg
:lol:

Seriously, it keeps coming back to the FJR. Nothing else makes sense for the kind of riding we do between long two up touring, little trips to the grocery store, etc. and keep it under 700 lbs. No Goldwings yet!

V65, so you were going through this regular road corner at 60mph in 2nd gear and when it started to go over, you tried putting your foot down while slipping (power oversteer like in an old Mustang or MG) the rear end around to make the turn?

Man, I've courted death before but in my case it was only dinner and a movie.

Sounds like that bastard ain't interested in you though.

V65, so you were going through this regular road corner at 60mph in 2nd gear and when it started to go over, you tried putting your foot down while slipping (power oversteer like in an old Mustang or MG) the rear end around to make the turn?

Feet on the pegs! If I had put a foot down I would have lost a leg the way it was bucking around. I can't help thinking that a bit more throttle when it started to straighten out would have saved the day.

Feet on the pegs! If I had put a foot down I would have lost a leg the way it was bucking around. I can't help thinking that a bit more throttle when it started to straighten out would have saved the day.
Yeah too bad you weren't in 1st gear, lol.

Yeah too bad you weren't in 1st gear, lol.
Hey, I got out of it easy but it still hurts to laugh. :p :lol:

I'm late to the party...but glad you made it out ok (relatively speaking) considering the circumstances!

Those high sides damn sure hurt!

Late too. It's good to hear you came through this as well as you have. Lots of energy at those kinds of speed. Yours is a good story for not scrimping on riding gear.

Get back in the saddle soon.

Cheers,

W2