Vaccum Cap Keepers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a firm believer in having spare vacuum caps and spring clips. If you buy them you will never need them.
Hemostats are my TBS weapon of choice. A little dab of silicone grease on the caps before replacing them, goes a long way toward subsequent TBS removal bliss.
And, goes a long way toward destroying any function of the O2 sensor should you still have one operating. Same goes for silicone RTV sealers, etc.

I'm a firm believer in having spare vacuum caps and spring clips. If you buy them you will never need them.
Hemostats are my TBS weapon of choice. A little dab of silicone grease on the caps before replacing them, goes a long way toward subsequent TBS removal bliss.
And, goes a long way toward destroying any function of the O2 sensor should you still have one operating. Same goes for silicone RTV sealers, etc.
Okay Radman, I wasn't talking about pushing grease into the cap! I meant (and should have explained better) to rub some silicone grease between your fingers and then rub the inside lip of the cap. It only takes a tiny film on the inside to make a huge difference in how it goes back on. You can rub the outside of the vacuum nipple instead, but it's usually HOT.

:)

Okay Radman, I wasn't talking about pushing grease into the cap! I meant (and should have explained better) to rub some silicone grease between your fingers and then rub the inside lip of the cap. It only takes a tiny film on the inside to make a huge difference in how it goes back on. You can rub the outside of the vacuum nipple instead, but it's usually HOT. :)
To be honest, even that is risky. When the heat of the motor melts it, it will make it's way throught the combustion process intact, and begin to coat the O2 element. How much is too much? Don't know, but once it's on there, it doesn't go away. It may be enough to slow the O2's response, it may eventually cause it to fail altogether, since it's a cumulative thing. Not a big deal, but why invite problems? I have seen O2's fail, then later discover wads of RTV used to seal an intake, for example, on cars. Coincidence? Well, they didn't come out with O2 safe gasket sealers for no reason.

Guess what? I had the same thing and almost lost a clip. I found it, though. I did lose a cap. That sucked. I used compressed air to try to blow the little bastard out of wherever it was but no good. I got fed up and went a diiferent route.

I took some good quality vacuum tubing and cut four pieces about and inch. Then, I screwed some cap heads in 'em. Now, I can do a synch in about ten minutes flat!

I have three caps and four clips. I'll send them to you or anyone who wants them for FREE. I'll have this post mail me replys.

They just put those clips on to be over-redundant about the fuel system like a good manufacturer should, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I was told doing that could possibly limit the marketability of my FJR if I ever decide to list it for sale on the forum. :rolleyes:

No worries mate.

Well I was going to do the first throttle body sync. Supported the tank, removed the heat shield and found the throttle body vacuum ports. Used long nose pliers to pull the keepers off the caps and one of the keepers disappeared into thin air.Yamaha dealer did not have one. Micro fish did not show the keeper. Auto parts store does not have them so I stuck the plug on the port and called it good.

Do any of you know where I can get this minor part? If the engine has good vacuum I am not sure how this plug would come off anyway? Well, if this happened to you what did you do?

KR
I dropped one and couldn't find it anywhere. I checked with the dealer and the parts guy could order them. But I just couldn't bring myself to pay what Yamaha wanted for the little spring things. I went to my auto parts supplier and purchased a bunch of vacuum line caps for next to nothing. I made sure they were small enough to fit rather tightly over the "sync" nipples. I have over 6,000 miles since the sync was done and I've experienced no problems. Good Luck.