Valve Check on 2013 FJR with 24k miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion of the necessity to do this valve check at 25k miles as in the manual for a 2013 FJR model A. Love the bike just wonder if this is necessary. Seems like the engine is a dream. Thank you for your stories and comments.

I would, although I wouldn't panic about getting it done right on the mark. Most do not require adjustment at the first designated mileage. Many (most) don't at the second interval or longer. Nice to know where you stand and a check isn't that difficult to DIY. A little more complicated if changes are needed...
You might want to read through some of the following.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/valve-checks-vs-adjustment-required-poll.111697/

Does anyone have an opinion of the necessity to do this valve check at 25k miles as in the manual for a 2013 FJR model A. Love the bike just wonder if this is necessary. Seems like the engine is a dream. Thank you for your stories and comments.
The engineers at Yamaha believe it's important. Are you willing to accept the risk and not do it?

It's been my experience that engines run like dreams...until they don't. The risk is once in a while a minority of FJR exhaust valves are slightly tight, you catch it at the first check interval, adjust, and then never have to adjust again. The issue is there's no way of telling whether you've got one of the magical FJRs that never need a valve adjustment or the minority that do. And if one is tight, it stays tight, and eventually you burn a valve...and then it's no longer a dream.

I'd personally have the first check done like I did on my '05. It was in spec, I checked again at 75K and in spec, and now with 160K and haven't checked since.

The engineers at Yamaha believe it's important. Are you willing to accept the risk and not do it?

It's been my experience that engines run like dreams...until they don't. The risk is once in a while a minority of FJR exhaust valves are slightly tight, you catch it at the first check interval, adjust, and then never have to adjust again. The issue is there's no way of telling whether you've got one of the magical FJRs that never need a valve adjustment or the minority that do. And if one is tight, it stays tight, and eventually you burn a valve...and then it's no longer a dream.

I'd personally have the first check done like I did on my '05. It was in spec, I checked again at 75K and in spec, and now with 160K and haven't checked since.
Good logic

Do the first check, it will be a lot of peace of mind on that engine that I would assume you’d like to keep around for a little while.

if it looks good, leave it. put it back together with a new valve cover gasket, coolant O rings, and timing cover gasket. if they’re tight, set them all to ~70% of the max acceptable clearance, and check it 50k later. this bike is bulletproof. *with proper maintenance* skipping a valve adjustment on any engine, particularly a motorcycle is a sure-fire way to shorten its life expectancy.

I did a valve check in august at 108k miles on my ‘14 still in spec, i however adjusted the intakes to the maximum I could, and will likely have no need to ever do a valve adjustment again in the next 3 years