Very Sad News

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain. Dropped my 3 days owned '07 AE showing it off to my barber. Was rocking off the center stand, had the front wheel slightly akimbo and in a sec both me and my baby were on the ground. Only the slightest scratch on the bike, very large dent in my pride. Regained that as I lifted my darling' with my ass.
Only liars have never dropped their bike at least once!
Not lying, many close calls moving her around the garage, on the edge teetering close calls, but upright so far. Once I parked her in the driveway on a slight slope with it left in neutral. I was actually turned to walk away when I saw her rolling forward and down. Barely saved it. Jesse 06

Very Sad News, I f#$king dropped her!!!

Great.

Its Friday again and this thread is STILL alive? And again I get the pole position at the top of the page.

I don't know what it is, most likely the title of the thread, but it bothers me when I see this thread at the top of the list of new posts - but I refrain from commenting unless it is free-for-all Friday.

So he dropped his bike. Boo Hoo. Sniff. Sniff. I feel so upset at the terrible calamity that is so horribly sad that has befallen the OP - NOT. :rolleyes:

I've dropped my bike. Most of us have dropped our bikes. And at some point in time almost everyone who has not yet dropped their bike is likely to join the club. Man up mister!!

Presumably when you dropped yours you picked it up again and rode off - hopefully your bags were off, you had sliders and there was little more damage than the telltale scratch on the leading edge of the stator cover, the mirror edge and the muffler (if it went over on the left). You may choose to fix it or choose to let it be (in anticipation of the 'next time').

It isn't a national catastrophy and perhaps we shouldn't all be quite so proud about how inept we are . . . let's let it go already. No one died or even got hurt.

Merry Christmas. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got back I went and bought a set of used bags on ebay got the bags back what, 6? 8? months ago and never even put them on the bike - I still ride with the scratched bags on board. No grand 'feel sorry for me' post. I just enjoy the ride - besides, I can't see the scratched parts while I'm dragging foot pegs.

Hmmm, bought two bags and still ride with scratched bags. That's plural isn't it? I am wondering if there is a "rest of the story" for us to hear. Yep, it's Friday.

three drops in last year...two on grass (don't ask)Mike in Nawlins'
But I gotta ask. Were the two on grass within minutes of each other?

Only asking because I dropped a previous bike twice on the grass. Standing next to it and moving it around, it started leaning away from me past the point of no return. Plop, it hit the ground. :angry2: I must say, the sound of a bike hitting grass is much better than hitting cement or gravel. :rolleyes: Then in my rush to get it picked up before anyone saw what I had done, I picked it up and proceeded to plop it over onto the other side! :angry2: :angry: :angry2: :angry: :angry2:

So what's your story, Mike?
no, they were months apart with atomic engine fix in between

first grass dealy was my compulsion not to have to paddle the bike backwards. I will really go out of my way to pull in somewhere to park where I can just pull out to the front of the bike.

well, CMA officers meeting at the President's house who lives on a dead end. Other vehicles parked around, so I drive up the sidewalk. Decide to do a U turn in the guys side yard and park pointed back where I came from on the sidewalk. Well it had rained pretty good the previous night and I didn't factor that possibility in as it moto'd through the St Augustine. Turned the bars to come around with a bit of speed and the front end washed out in a split second and over she went. Buds were watching through the sliding glass door and came running out. Prez and VP pick it up for me and on we went with the meeting. This was June of 2009.

second time was similar. More recently with new used engine. Like 3 weeks ago on my 3rd ride since engine swap. In Hattiesburg, my phone rings and it's a health problem with one of my daughters. I stop on the entrance to I-10 north and discuss. Decide the problem is serious enough that I'm gonna head home instead of meeing the gang after the PGR mission for a meal (turns out to me very minor bump in the road for Emily). It's like 3pm. Scan around and notice the southbound exit ramp is just over there...running parallel to where I am on the entrance ramp. I need to go south back toward Nawlins' and decide I can just motocross the 25 feet through the grass to the exit ramp and go on. It did look a little soggy and there was a bit of downslope to an upslope between the strips of asphalt. But hay, I was a successful dirt bike rider - ah - 30 years ago - with a 220 # bike - when I was 30# lighter - riding on knobbies...but hay, that's just some minor details to overcome. And in both examples, I learned such shenanigans are even more of a bitch with a full tank of gas. Yes, learned 40# of top heavy weight makes a diff, too.

Well, you know where this is going. Downhill went fine till the suspension compressed at the bottom and back wheel immediately spun with no purchase heading up hill and boom, rear comes all the way around, and high side to the right burying the air horn some. I just stood up over her and shook my head in disgust knowing I was doomed from the minute I checked out that little ole 25 feet.

There was a female cop stopped at the red light about 100 yards away who rolls her window down and yells , "Hay, Hay". I'm thinking I'm screwed and am soon receiving a performance reward. I look up and she asks if I'm OK. I give a thumbs up. She knods and drives away shaking her head. Two other nice folks, typical/steriotype MS, ah, country folk looking stop their pickups and get out to check on me. Both say they are Harley riders and smile that they are paying it forward. Done that myself bud, they chuckle, but not on an interstate ramp. What happened? Oh, I got distracted, I answer :dribble: . They ask what can they do. I recommend just pushing it up the little hill to the exit ramp. We did and was easier than I hoped with three of us grunting. No damage except to my pride and discernment confidence.

Both times when I got home to clean up the bike, there was mud packed into the middle crevis of the slider and I had to pressure wash with my hose the caked mud hiding the slider bolt up in there.

Well, there you go. It's one thing to be assertive, but another to be unrealistic and pig headed my Dad always said.

Thanx Dad, and it's Christmas Friday and all that. :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas and let's be careful,

Mike in Nawlins'

When I got back I went and bought a set of used bags on ebay got the bags back what, 6? 8? months ago and never even put them on the bike - I still ride with the scratched bags on board. No grand 'feel sorry for me' post. I just enjoy the ride - besides, I can't see the scratched parts while I'm dragging foot pegs.
Hmmm, bought two bags and still ride with scratched bags. That's plural isn't it? I am wondering if there is a "rest of the story" for us to hear. Yep, it's Friday.
Sure - my other bag has a few scratches from general use, boots, luggage and other things from (at the time) almost 2 years of extensive use. At the time I figured that since I was painting one bag, the other should be as nice.

BTW, it isn't a bad idea to learn how to quote attributed text.

Sure - my other bag has a few scratches from general use, boots, luggage and other things from (at the time) almost 2 years of extensive use. At the time I figured that since I was painting one bag, the other should be as nice.

BTW, it isn't a bad idea to learn how to quote attributed text.
I bet you dropped it more than once but won't admit it. Hey Bramfrank, I apologize for not posting to your satisfaction so bite me.

come on fess up droppers. How many of you we able to pickup the dropped FJR all by yourself?? Interested to know.

Didn't drop mine Dave.. But she done tipped over when the sidestand sunk into the soft ground.

Yeah I picked that fat gurl up all by myself :clapping: The sunkin stand made it a real bitch though. :angry03:

:jester:

Alright. I MAY have dropped my bike a few times .... but luckily (knock on wood) just drop, from a standstill. Two stories for the misery loves company crowd.

1) I was in bumper to bumper traffic and snuck forward at an intersection to a left hand turn lane JUST in front of it. Well, the guy two cars in front of me decided not to turn and got stuck at the light turning red. So here I am stuck in the MIDDLE of an intersection, blocking traffic for a light that's about to turn green, and I'm about to be "that guy" that tried to sneak ahead and ruined a red light in the middle of rush hour for lots of people going home. So I try to sneak forward and get as close to the truck in front of me and basically be RIGHT beside it in the same lane. Well....I forgot that I wasn't on the 919 anymore, and that the FJR's nose is slimmer than it's tail with saddlebags. Left saddlebag clips the bumper at 2 mph, I fall to the right, and quickly stand it back up. When the light turned green for me, I silently and shamedly followed him out of there. Luckily I have a fullface helmet and no one can see me.

2) My buddy had a friend who was a farmer. Used those F250s and abused the heck out of them. So he goes out and buys a brand new F250. BEAUTIFUL truck. "Hey Jim, check out the new truck." "Man, that's nice Bob." "Yup. Brand new." Bob pulls a sledgehammer out of the bed and proceeds to whack his back tailgate and put a HUGE dent and take off some paint. "What the hell was THAT for Bob?!" "Now I don't have to worry about when the first one's coming." True story, and I've heard MANY people do this, but usually with shopping carts, not sledgehammers.

Alexi

come on fess up droppers. How many of you we able to pickup the dropped FJR all by yourself?? Interested to know.
You want a drop fess ? Ok, here is mine. Back in 1999 I learned to ride on my new Royal Star Venture. (first dumb move). Picked it up at the dealer and made it ten feet. Flopped it over on it's left side. After a couple years and four more drops I learned very well how to pick up a big bike by myself :) Hasn't happened in years now and the FJR seems like a light weight after the Venture.

Scoopid

My 18-year-old son dropped my 5-week-old 2008 last week. He's home from college and rode it once during Thanksgiving and another time the week before the great slip-up. The second I told him it was ok to ride it, I knew that i had effed up. When my cell phone rang 5 minutes later, I knew it was trouble. He was taking it off the center stand and was too heaving. Breaks my damn heart. Only thing that kept me from going ape-shit was how bad he feels.

\
So he dropped his bike. Boo Hoo. Sniff. Sniff. I feel so upset at the terrible calamity that is so horribly sad that has befallen the OP - NOT. :rolleyes:

Man up mister!!

It isn't a national catastrophy and perhaps we shouldn't all be quite so proud about how inept we are . . . \

Merry Christmas. -_-
Uh, right. I don't think I asked for any sympathy and, no, it's not a catastrophe. It will probably happen again and that's ok. Can you tell me it's not a little frustrating when it happens? Shit happens to all of us, obviously, and it doesn't signify ineptitude. And as for "manning up"... Well, who the hell needs to man up on an internet board?

As for picking it up solo... That's just technique.

Merry Christmas, belatedly, and Happy New Year. B)

\

Man up mister!!

It isn't a national catastrophy and perhaps we shouldn't all be quite so proud about how inept we are . . . \

Merry Christmas. -_-
Uh, right. I don't think I asked for any sympathy and, no, it's not a catastrophe. It will probably happen again and that's ok. Can you tell me it's not a little frustrating when it happens? Shit happens to all of us, obviously, and it doesn't signify ineptitude. And as for "manning up"... Well, who the hell needs to man up on an internet board?

"Bramfrank" must be Canuck for "asshat."

It isn't Friday anymore, so this is a tame reply, but what part of 'Very Sad News' is NOT asking for sympathy?

As you place her on the side stand and start to get off, you realize the stand was not down all the way. You just got off and you immediately notice the bike falling towards you. Suddenly, you come to the realization of just how heavy she is as you put everything you've got into trying to keep her from hitting the ground.

It isn't Friday anymore, so this is a tame reply, but what part of 'Very Sad News' is NOT asking for sympathy?

Ok, so "Bramfrank" is now Canuck for "tame." That's nice.

Whether or not he's asking for it, dzuber76 has my sympathy, if for no other reason than because the value of his machine dropped when the bike hit the pavement.