VFR1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another post I read that it'll only have 15 more hp than an FJR. Not nearly enough to make me change.

Also, v-4's have 2 big drawbacks; they're typically very difficult to service and engine heat control is often poor.

I'd rather see a sport tourer based on the V-max.

I kinda wish it had an adjustable windscreen and a larger gas tank (though I could live with that).
It looks-like (on this model, at least) that a sort-of 'Laminar Lip' is offered:

honda_vfr1200f_accessori_10.jpg

Anyway.., after-market windshields will probably be many?

(altho, I hear ya' about 'adjustable' -- especially 'power adj.')

On another post I read that it'll only have 15 more hp than an FJR. Not nearly enough to make me change.
Also, v-4's have 2 big drawbacks; they're typically very difficult to service and engine heat control is often poor.

Actually it has 25 more, and is a bit lighter. I think it will have enough touring in it for a Busa rider, but not enough for me to think about replacing my FJR. This really doesn't seem to compete any sport touring bikes. This is a Busa, ZX-14, K1300S replacement.

Hmmm..., difficulty -- 'relative' I'd guess? :unsure: None are "easy" -- these days... (certainly not Kawi's C-14...!) :rolleyes:

And..., poor heat control...? Which manufacturer has a handle on that...? :unsure:

I'd be interested to see the VFR1200T model that there were rumors about.
The ST replacement looks really bad & heavy to me.

572721711_CHkuJ-XL.jpg

I would love a slightly more sporty/lighter FJR & the new VFR looks very interesting. :coolsmiley02:

I am a huge VFR fan, I'm in the process of rebuilding an 87 700 model, and this is a little disappointing to me. I am not a big fan of the looks and it does not quite do it for me as a "sport tourer" type of ride. Too many shortcomings, especiall compared to the FJR... It's like they just missed on a number of different targets (weight, range, ergos) and ended up with something that falls in the middle of too many different things (if that makes any sense at all).

Maybe it will grow on me and I will definately check it out once it arrives in showrooms. Only time will tell.....

Here are a few interesting bits on weight:

591 - manual clutch

613 - dual clutch

add in some factory hardbags and a center stand and your up around 30 more #'s

That is 621 or 633 minimum. You would have to add more if it had a larger fuel tank. I was hoping for something a bit lighter.

The current FJR's are 642 wet.

I do really like the side profile and the clean look of the fairing.

Actually it has 25 more, and is a bit lighter. I think it will have enough touring in it for a Busa rider, but not enough for me to think about replacing my FJR. This really doesn't seem to compete any sport touring bikes. This is a Busa, ZX-14, K1300S replacement.
I have both a 2008 ZX-14 and a 2007 FJR. I have soft luggage for my ZX-14 and use it a good bit for "sport-touring". I actually "toured" on the ZX-14 more this year than the FJR.

For me, the ZX-14 with soft luggage, with the exception of wind protection, does as nice of a job of sport-touring as the FJR. Neither one has cruise, heated grips or heated seat. The electric windshield on the FJR is nice but with the exception of rain and cold weather, I generally dont miss it on the ZX-14. Squirting some lube on the chain has never been a problem for me, however, I do like the shaft on the FJR.

The VFR1200 with the additional hard bags may give me much of what I feel is missing in the FJR - somewhat lighter weight, more power, smoother engine with no buzz, 6-speed tranny, hopefully smooth fuel-injection action, etc.

For me, the VFR1200 might be the perfect FJR replacement.

Hmmm, nice.................I'll pass on it though. 04 VFR and 06 FJR gets it done for me. :yahoo:

The ST replacement will be the one to try and compete in the sport touring market..

Before I start in, I will say that the new VFR1200 looks really really good...

BUT...

Seems like just another way too heavy rocket with some very expensive optional luggage..

Hmmm...Guess nothing has changed much with regards to the VFR line.

Webby

where does a the weight come from? A 1000cc. crotch rocket has 175+ hp, weighs about 400 pounds, and has a 400 pound load capacity. does a bike configured for sport touring REALLY have to weigh more than 50% more?

...Too many shortcomings, especially compared to the FJR... It's like they just missed on a number of different targets (weight, range, ergos) and ended up with something that falls in the middle of too many different things (if that makes any sense at all).
Maybe it will grow on me and I will definately check it out once it arrives in showrooms. Only time will tell.....
I feel pretty much the same way. I like the single sided swingarm, 6 speed transmission, many less lbs than the FJR, and the V-4 power. However, the low fuel capacity, front preload adjustment only, and non-adjustable stock shield (although I did read that a 3-position shield is an option) are big negatives for me. Not sure about the luggage capacity either (pics of the sidecases look a little skimpy, but hard to tell at this point) and the exhaust creeps me out a little.

It would have to have really awesome handling to make me wanna give up the FJR, but 4.9 gals would probably be a deal breaker in any case.

Specs from Honda press release:

https://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=5219

Last edited by a moderator: