VFR's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gramps

Reaction score
I've been looking at the mid to late 80's model.

Any thoughts, comments or recommendations?

I've ridden a couple already & the one thing that I've

noticed is that they're cold blooded, but when they

warm up they can scoot.

Thanks

Probably no smoother engine made than the V4 Honda. I have a good bud with an '82 V45 Magna that he rides only once a year. It's never failed to start or run well during that time. The V65 is a great motor as well. I'd like to see an Interceptor model based on the larger mill.

Jim Miller wrote:

Probably no smoother engine made than the V4 Honda. I have a good bud with an '82 V45 Magna that he rides only once a year. It's never failed to start or run well during that time. The V65 is a great motor as well. I'd like to see an Interceptor model based on the larger mill.
Poof! Granted . . . The Sabre. I had a 83 Sabre 45 which was the sport version of the duo. Same engine as the magna with sleek fairing, Ferrari red, 6 speed, throttle lock and shaft! It was wonderfull. There was a Sabre 65 also.

Dream can come true! :rolleyes:

I had a 98 VFR800. It was a great bike. The V-4 isn't a torque monster, but it's buttery smooth and will get on down the road in a hurry. I put some GenMar clip-on risers on it, which helped a lot with wrist pressure. The seat was nice and broad. It had a good, fairly comprehensive dash. The passenger grab rails were well-designed and doubled as bungee attachment points.

Its brakes were awesome. In fact, the 98 VFR800 was in MCN's top ten list of shortest stopping distances for several years.

My VFR was quite snatchy right off idle. Taking it through the cones in a MSF Advanced Riders Safety course was a challenge because of it. A power commander could probably fix that.

The 99 model has a couple of minor refinements that make it a slightly better bike.

It's hard to beat the eyeball blistering red, too. 2000 models are yellow. I lost interest when they went V-tec.

Alan

P.S. My brother had a V65 Sabre that was quite the animal!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a metallic black 92 VFR and of all the Hondas I've had it was my favorite. Excellent ride and handling plus plenty fast enough; not to mention a very eye pleasing design. The 90-93s are my favorite of all of them for looks; being an Industrial Designer that somehow is important! Altho a blue/gray '87 isn't far behind in the eye wash department. LOL!

I've also had a '98 and '05 VFRs, but the '92 was my favorite by far. I actually rode the '92 faster thru tight twistys than either of the later 2, especially the '05 with that #@%%T^$ VTEC kick. Never did like that as if you didn't set up a curve right it could kick in about midway thru a curve....and that could get real interesting and, uh...exciting. DFO :D

I have to agree with designeraccd - the '90 to '93 years were my favorite. I had a pearl white '92 model that I wish I would have never sold. I also had a '97 that was perfect, but almost too perfect if that makes sense. I never fell for it like the '92.

FWIW, I still have a '82 750 Sabre sitting in the garage and it runs great!

I had a metallic black 92 VFR and of all the Hondas I've had it was my favorite. Excellent ride and handling plus plenty fast enough; not to mention a very eye pleasing design. The 90-93s are my favorite of all of them for looks; being an Industrial Designer that somehow is important! Altho a blue/gray '87 isn't far behind in the eye wash department. LOL!
I've also had a '98 and '05 VFRs, but the '92 was my favorite by far. I actually rode the '92 faster thru tight twistys than either of the later 2, especially the '05 with that #@%%T^$ VTEC kick. Never did like that as if you didn't set up a curve right it could kick in about midway thru a curve....and that could get real interesting and, uh...exciting. DFO :D

I have to agree with designeraccd - the '90 to '93 years were my favorite. I had a pearl white '92 model that I wish I would have never sold. I also had a '97 that was perfect, but almost too perfect if that makes sense. I never fell for it like the '92.
Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to expand my search a bit & take a look at the early 90's model.

Problem is I don't see very many for sale, any of the years for that matter. I guess people like them & hang on to them.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to expand my search a bit & take a look at the early 90's model.

Problem is I don't see very many for sale, any of the years for that matter. I guess people like them & hang on to them.
I have a '86 VFR - Pearl White that I might be willing to part with. Runs great, has upgraded Galfer lines, Penske rear shock. If you would be interested in learning more, drop me a PM.

Hi

I have got to coment as I have had a 93 and a 99 VFR and my son has a 94 . My favorite has to be the 94 to 97 a pretty bike plus the same smooth engine as the 90 to 93 model and a tad lighter.The 98 to 2001 engines are based on the Rc 45 superbike and have a little more vibes but alot of snarl .And the new models crappy vtec doesn't have a purpose plus no gear driven cams.

All are lifetime bikes as you can not ride them enough to wear them out the reason I sold my 99 was that for 2 up riding you can't beat the torqueof the FJR!!

The "generation changes" on the VF/VFR 750/800 were:

1983-1986: Original VF750. Ground-breaking bike, but tended to eat cams. I wouldn't get one unless you're looking for a collector bike.

1986-1988: Major upgrade, gear-driven (and reliable) cams. Very classy bike (especially in white and dark blue), but most examples this old are getting pretty beat.

1990-1993: Restyle, but only minor mechanical upgrades. Probably the best looking of the bunch.

1994-1997: Another restyle, not for the better with the testarossa-style NACA ducts ont he side. But very nice bike.

1998-2001: 800cc engine, fuel-injected, major restyle. Probably the best performing VFR.

2002-current: Dropped gear-drive cams for chains, VTEC engine, available factory luggage, and available ABS. Major turn in the line towards sport-touring; VTEC and loss of gear-driven cams viewed as huge takeaway as bike got slower, heavier, harder to maintain, and has a weird glitch in the power delivery at the VTEC crossover point.

If I was in the market for a VFR, I'd look in the 90-01 period. The 98-01's are the best overall and in my mind FI is worth a premium just to avoid the inevitable carb problems (and carb problems are BIG problems on this bike - you have to use a crowbar to get the carb bank out of the Vee), but you're looking at pretty good money for them. VFR's hold their value amazing well, so they're no bargain used. You get better value for you money in an FZ1 where you can pick up a 2001 or 2002 for for about the same as a 95 VFR. But the V4 has a lot of charisma and with only one exception (voltage regulator), the bike is bulletproof once you get past the 1st generation.

- Mark

Plus the 2000 model comes in the fastest color :)

DSCF2117.jpg

Back to a VFR owner for me. I recently picked up a 2000 with a Wolf untertail exhaust. This is my 3rd V4 powered bike, and the previous times I've sold them I've regretted it. So my play/project VFR now warms a spot next to the FJR in the garage.

I had a 94 with about 40K on the clock that I sold just this April after 7 years of ownership.

Bought it in 2000 for $5200, put on about 30K and sold it in 2007 for $3200. Not too bad.

I had it set up with the corbin bags and seat and it made a decent tourer. Probably would have benefited from some bar risers...

I never scraped a peg on that thing, and I've already hit both sides several times on the FJR.

I'd get another one in the future....