Vibranator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 08 FJR vibrates way more thru the handlebars than my VFR and I've even added the nicer bar ends to help w/ the problem. My hands are going to sleep way too easily on this bike. That's why I read thru this thread in fact. I finally did a decently long 2-up ride this past weekend -- 352 miles and woah .. did my arms and hands feel the vibration on a longer ride. Whereas my rear-end was completely okay with my Rick Mayer saddle! The absolute best saddle (compared to my Corbin and Seargent in the past) I've ever used bar none. Also, the most expensive I believe but worth it.

As soon as someone figures out a sure way of addressing the vibration thru the handlebars, I'll be all over it! Just spent $100 on the bar-ends though and to be honest, not sure how much it helped. I'd guess at most 20% or so. Barely noticeable.
This made a difference for me that no bar end weights could match:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=140595

$100 for bar weights is pretty steep. For another $50 you could get the heavy Throttlemeister throttle lock.

I just took off my grips and filled the bars with wheel balance beads. Then I took my heavy bar-ends and stuck 1 in each tire. Now I don't notice any engine vibration at all.

My 08 FJR vibrates way more thru the handlebars than my VFR and I've even added the nicer bar ends to help w/ the problem. My hands are going to sleep way too easily on this bike. That's why I read thru this thread in fact. I finally did a decently long 2-up ride this past weekend -- 352 miles and woah .. did my arms and hands feel the vibration on a longer ride. Whereas my rear-end was completely okay with my Rick Mayer saddle! The absolute best saddle (compared to my Corbin and Seargent in the past) I've ever used bar none. Also, the most expensive I believe but worth it.

As soon as someone figures out a sure way of addressing the vibration thru the handlebars, I'll be all over it! Just spent $100 on the bar-ends though and to be honest, not sure how much it helped. I'd guess at most 20% or so. Barely noticeable.
This made a difference for me that no bar end weights could match:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=140595
I recommend you try some grip puppies. I noticed a very slight vibration in the grips on my 2011 FJR and the grip puppies have dampen the vibration where it is no longer an issue. Also, for $20 it is a rather inexpensive farkle.

It seems to me that this passive device, to be effective, would have to be "tuned" (balanced) for an individual bike. No two bikes vibrate the same so no two Vibronators would cancel vibrations the same.

They are just extended weights that leverage the connection point therefore equate to more weight than they actually weigh. They don't really need to tune, they just need to go with physics and try to stay at rest.

I am tempted to get a set, my bike feels like i've harnessed a bumble bee, especially in 3rd gear.

Where is all this vibration coming from? Mine doesn't see have much if any, but that's just my opinion after two years on a CBR600RR which was like holding.... well..... OK - a vibrator in each hand.

(I can only assume, I don't know from personal experience).

They are just extended weights that leverage the connection point therefore equate to more weight than they actually weigh. They don't really need to tune, they just need to go with physics and try to stay at rest.

I am tempted to get a set, my bike feels like i've harnessed a bumble bee, especially in 3rd gear.
That would be harmonic balancing. The frequency canceled by the weight is specific to the individual bike.

I posted this on one of the CBR1100XX forums last year

A while back, I came across a thread at Adventure Riders discussing a product called Vibranator. After finding that the product wasn't what I original thought it may be... I read many positive reviews about how well these tuned mass dampers, reduced or eliminated hand numbness and pain caused by feeling harmonic resonance through the handlebars of a motorcycle.
Vibranator for Honda CBR and VFR models

I bookmarked the page and forgot about it for almost a year.

A few months ago, I came across the bookmark and started thinking about how much the resonant frequency that I was feeling in the Blackbird's handlebars was starting to bother me and how I was riding the FJR1300 far more often because I didn't feel any of the harmonic resonance on that bike.

I found that the ADVRIDER coupon code provided a nice discount and decided to order a set. Besides, they're actually guaranteed to work as advertised and can be returned for any reason within 30 days.

Because of some other work that I was doing on the Blackbird over the winter, today was my first opportunity to take the bike out on the highway and compare the Vibranators to the extra-heavy Throttlemeister bar ends that I'd been using for the past 58,000 miles.

After almost 300 miles at highway speeds with the RPMs in a range generally between 4200 to 5500, I can only say HOLY SHIT! The amount of harmonic resonance was so drastically reduced that I had absolutely no numbness in my hands after riding for several straight hours.

I know that the amount of resonant frequency felt in motorcycle handlebars will depend upon many factors, including the individual rider's hand mass and it may not even be noticeable to the majority of riders but for me, these tuned mass dampers worked as advertised.

I also took advantage of the ADVRIDER coupon and ordered a set. I just put them on when I got home this evening and I am surprised by the impact on the front wheel shimmy. I didn't really expect that to be better as I have been wondering if I have a tire out of balance a little or maybe even something slightly wrong with the front end. If I previously took my hands off the handlebars it would start to shake out of control within about two or three seconds.

I had a similar issue with my Honda last year (turned out to be the front tire) and I went in the shop to ask the guy there what it might be and with a perfectly straight face he said, "you really shouldn't ride your bike with no hands." Really? I'm almost 50. Give me a break, but I am off topic. I just didn't want to get told not to ride with no hands, because I am pretty well aware of that. :blink:

So anyway, the wheel shimmy is almost totally gone above 40mph! It's very smooth. As the bike slows to 40 it gets a little shake but stays in control and when it drops to 30 it smooths out again. Big difference!

Now that's not what I got the vibranators for, but surely if it reduces the shimmy that much, it has to be reducing the vibration to the hand. I won't get a long ride in for a week or more, but I am very optimistic and feel very positive about my purchase.

Where could I get a set of these and how much do they cost? One link I looked at said they were no longer available.

Thanks in advance.

You can buy them here: https://www.vibranator.com/product_p/s05-b02-r06-n02-m01-t150-brt.htm

If you use the coupon code "advrider", the price will be around $111 including shipping.

I ordered mine a month ago and they just got here, but they were having some problems with their powdercoater. I would guess that they are shipping quicker now.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy them here: https://www.vibranator.com/product_p/s05-b02-r06-n02-m01-t150-brt.htm

If you use the coupon code "advrider", the price will be around $111 including shipping.

I ordered mine a month ago and they just got here, but they were having some problems with their powdercoater. I would guess that they are shipping quicker now.
Thanks for the info Cheesy. I'll take a few days to decide about spending the money or not then place my order. Will interested to hear your opinion when you have tried them.

I still can't tell how much the vibranators help keeping my hands from getting numb, because almost all that is from riding position. But I can tell there's less vibration for sure. I installed a vista cruise to stretch my hand out and I don't think I could have left it on very long before because of the wheel shake. Now I'm pretty sure I could do this:

But I won't! :)

I guess I'll give them a 9 on vibration elimation and a 4 on hand numbness. I will say they are made well. You've really got to screw the removal tool in a long way before the old handlebar insert pops out. It's designed well though and pretty easy to install.

Thanks for the info Cheesy. I'll take a few days to decide about spending the money or not then place my order. Will interested to hear your opinion when you have tried them.
Just ordered Vibranators so we'll see what they can do for me. Any feedback on yours yet Cheesy?

Got the Vibranators last week and fitted them at the weekend. Easy job following the enclosed instructions and using the supplied extraction tool.

After several short/medium runs the difference is definetley noticeable with the tingling buzz reduced/smoothed out to the extent that there's no numbing sensation present in the right hand.

Remains to be seen how they perform at sustained higher speeds but I am pleased with the results so far and consider them a good buy.

BTW delivery in about a week and all up price $106.