Vibration Survey for Owners of More Than One FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Throttle body sync works only to smooth the idle and at about 1500rpms+/-..

Above that range has not any effect in vibrations..My opinion..."

I can't agree with this.

After I make adjustments I always note a lessening of vibration all the way up to 3.5K rpm.

I know how well I've done by how smoothly it shifts gears. A good sync has a noticeable effect on shifting.

I can tell if it needs a sync by how well it shifts. It's a leading indicator.

I may get better syncs than some because I use an oil-filled manometer. It's more sensitive than my mercury balancer.

Like many... I came from a C10 Concours... so we USED to have some vibration.

My 03 FJR is still smooth as can be @ 80k miles. It has (slightly) higher gearing so high speed seems to show higher vibes, but nothing difficult (during many long trips).

My 13 is SMOOTHER YET... but has lower gearing (for a 5 spd) so it seems smoother too. Compared to the 13, the 03 seems lighter, smaller, and a little more visceral.

Neither bike has had a TBS. The 03 never needed anything more than valves and plugs every 30k or so... and it's quicker too.
punk.gif

Throttle body sync works only to smooth the idle and at about 1500rpms+/-..Above that range has not any effect in vibrations..My opinion...

I did ride three fjr,a 04,05,08 and they have exactly the same vibrations..
Please, please! Don't NERP my thread
sadsmiley.gif

Throttle body sync works only to smooth the idle and at about 1500rpms+/-..Above that range has not any effect in vibrations..My opinion...

sadsmiley.gif
Why not, NERPTs the most interesting part of this forum. ;)

'N to the above comment, as I recall, last time I dun synced my TBs, I set the throttle to 4K, 'n adjusted the butterflys, then the idle. Prolly why mah bike's smooth as an electric motor.

sadsmiley.gif
Why not, NERPTs the most interesting part of this forum.
wink.png

'N to the above comment, as I recall, last time I dun synced my TBs, I set the throttle to 4K, 'n adjusted the butterflys, then the idle. Prolly why mah bike's smooth as an electric motor.
This is what concerns me about buying a Gen III and getting stuck with a buzzy one I can't adjust.

The ride by wire allows you to sync the tb's but not the throttle plates, which is that reduced actual vibration

My 14 was like glass. I didn't know what food meant when they talked about vibes. Yamaha had to replace my throttle body assembly. Now I understand. It's not bad, but I've got vibes in the bars now. Night and day difference.

My 14 was like glass. I didn't know what food meant when they talked about vibes. Yamaha had to replace my throttle body assembly. Now I understand. It's not bad, but I've got vibes in the bars now. Night and day difference.
So it's all in the TB's, amazing. Where is the quality control at Yamaha? I wonder it they're even aware of the variance in vibration levels.

Engine vibration on the FJR has very little to do with the engine air flow.

Syncing the air flow can have a small, marginal effect on vibration.

Most of the vibration is just a built-in feature of the engine. They tried to control, limit the vibration with the inclusion of the two balancing shafts. But, as with most things, they couldn't locate them in the most optimal positions for maximum effect.

As compared to in-line four car engines the FJR engine is firmly bolted to the frame so the transfer of vibration forces isn't controlled with energy absorbing engine mounts like those used in cars.

Then why is there such variation between FJR's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts