Vibration that stops in a dip in the road!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marauder

Reaction score
I really looked hard before posting this. My new (500 miles) '09 FJR has a vibration at 3800 upward. It is the engine because if I pull in the clutch I can make the vibration go away with a RPM change. But the funny thing about it is when I go through a dip in the highway, the vibration momentarily stops for a split second at the bottom of the dip. The dip has to be sigificant with a downward thrust at the bottom. I thought Center Stand! But I have pushed it down while riding with no change. I took the bike back to my dealer who said he will try to find it but by the look on his face he was writing me off.

So, has anyone ever experienced this on your bike? :blink:

Bill

Sounds normal. Chicks dig the vibes! :wub: Good thing its not Friday. :focus:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sayin' #2.. The dip stresses the frame causing things to shift/tighten.

:jester:

I'm sayin' #2.. The dip stresses the frame causing things to shift/tighten.

I agree.

End of the world is near! :ph34r: :ph34r:

The service manager and I also thought #2 and the top mechanic is looking at it today. My '03 had vibrations also at a higher rpm and I learned to live with it but I was hoping that my new '09 was free of vibration. What is odd about it is it didn't vibrate for the first 400 miles. Then I made a simple downshift into a turn up to about 5K it started vibrating after that. That to me means something moved like a motormount bolt. So I want it back to like new conditions.

I will post the result regardless...

Bill

#2 worked for my buzzy foot pegs...

Two things there, Purina....

1 - Glad the motor mounts solved your buzzing footpegs! :yahoo:

2 - Yer a putz for not reporting back IN YOUR OWN POST that the motor mount solved your buzzing footpegs. :glare:

PM BustaNutJoker and tell him he's got some putz competition on the forum, m'kay? :p :p :p

#2 worked for my buzzy foot pegs...

Two things there, Purina....

1 - Glad the motor mounts solved your buzzing footpegs! :yahoo:

2 - Yer a putz for not reporting back IN YOUR OWN POST that the motor mount solved your buzzing footpegs. :glare:

PM BustaNutJoker and tell him he's got some putz competition on the forum, m'kay? :p :p :p
I love competition... :assassin:

Yea - I should have posted in my own thread :rolleyes:

Seems like if pulling in the clutch isolates the engine from the drive portion, clutch, drive shaft, final drive. and vibration goes away and engine now doesn't vibrate isn't the vibe somewhere else? Just a thought? Hope you get it fixed....PM. <>< :D

I have felt this on my bike. I think it is the straightening out of the the drive shaft connection to the transmission, which in turn reduces the angle of deflection of the u-joint which in turn reduces drive line vibration to nil?

There must be a u-joint, right?

Just a thought.

I see a troubled time ahead for this guy..

You'd think he'da pinged me and told me I had competition.

But no, he want's King of the putz title all to hisself!

Nice try dogchow.. I'm steppin' it up a notch.

Ol' Granny Howie had a phrase for what you have in store for PurinaBoy....

"...so, ya shit and stepped back in it, did ya?"

:lol:

I don't want to be King Putz, but you are the court jester, you can't be King either. B)

Seems like if pulling in the clutch isolates the engine from the drive portion, clutch, drive shaft, final drive. and vibration goes away and engine now doesn't vibrate isn't the vibe somewhere else? Just a thought? Hope you get it fixed....PM. <>< :D
When I pull in the clutch and let the engine go to idle, the vibration goes away. With the clutch still disengaged and I rev the engine, the problem comes back. The vibration is being generated by the engine. The mechanic was adament that my problem was my drive line splines not being lubricated enough. So much for brilliant mechanics... :rolleyes:

When I rode it home on level freeway the vibration was less than what I remembered. Then as I was decending a long steep hill the vibration came back. :angry2:

Here's a question for the smarter ones out there...are there any smarter ones out there?

What would cause the engine vibration to be noticeable only at 4K rpms and go away with a dip or a downhill? I was thinking of trying "pre-stressing" the frame with small jack screws to recreate the situation. What do you think?

Bill

Something about resonance frequency I would think...stress on the engine or frame would change that frequency to something else.

I was thinking of trying "pre-stressing" the frame with small jack screws to recreate the situation. What do you think?
I'm thinking if you accidentally break your frame with small jack screws, then YOU'RE screwed. Crack the frame = throw the bike away for what it will cost to repair.

Personally, I'd ride it and get some more miles on the bike and see if the issue 1) goes away, 2) stays the same, or 3) gets worse.

Where do you feel the vibes? In the bars, in the pegs, through the seat?

So the service dept. lubed the driveshaft splines?

Did anyone check the torque of the engine mounting bolts to rule them out?