Vista cruise installation on '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR_pig

Bud Light Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
Has anyone drilled into the '06 throttle housing yet to mount a Vista Cruise? In all the pics and instructions posted, it addresses earlier models and it's clearly safe to drill where suggested. However, since the '06 has the 4-way flashers moved over to this same housing, I'm wondering if there is any wiring I'm going to rip into if I do the mod suggested on FJRtech.com.

Any thoughts?

(I know I could disassemble it and look, but thought I'd ask if anyone had done it yet first)

Pig

There is a thread going farther down on this page about an NEP throttle lock being installed (w/ pictures). From looking at his pictures, the bottom portion of the assembly is the same as the '03-'05 bikes. Drilling a hole on the throttle cable housing (as in the fjr tech instructions) shouldn't be a problem. I did it on my '04, just don't drill into one of the throttle cables ;) .

There is a thread going farther down on this page about an NEP throttle lock being installed (w/ pictures). From looking at his pictures, the bottom portion of the assembly is the same as the '03-'05 bikes. Drilling a hole on the throttle cable housing (as in the fjr tech instructions) shouldn't be a problem. I did it on my '04, just don't drill into one of the throttle cables ;) .
Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. It is my understanding that earlier models (pre-06) don't have the 4-way flashers in the throttle housing. My 06 does. Wondering if the additional wires are going to be located in the spot I plan to drill.

I assumed you were going to drill by the throttle cable housing. Looks like you are goiing to get to perform a "housing-ectomy" if you're drilling anywhere else on the assembly.

I assumed you were going to drill by the throttle cable housing. Looks like you are goiing to get to perform a "housing-ectomy" if you're drilling anywhere else on the assembly.
Yeah, I'm wondering what kind of project I got myself into. Maybe nothing, but it's already a bigger pain than I planned. I may just need to upgrade to a legitimate cruise control... :rolleyes:

Same thought here. While neither of us has an '06, and while I read that the '06 has a different flasher feature wired somewhere on that pod, and while only an owner of an '06 who has done the job and/or had it apart could definitively answer the question, I thought Mike did provide info of value. Like him, having done the job and having had the housing on my '05 apart to see what I risked damaging before putting drill to metal, it's hard to imagine anything else would be where you drill the hole for the screw to mount the Vista Cruise . . . other than the throttle cables inside that housing. Take one apart and you'll see what we mean -- cable up one side, cable down the other, converging from where they go around the pull into the narrower housing as it heads toward the throttle body butterflies. You have to drill in the middle close to where the metal housing parts join (and where there's a little space between the converging throttle cables). There's room for much else (like wiring for electrics or a switch) to put there?

Yeah, I'm wondering what kind of project I got myself into. Maybe nothing, but it's already a bigger pain than I planned. I may just need to upgrade to a legitimate cruise control... :rolleyes:
You're doing way too much worrying about a simple mod, simply because you don't have it in your garage yet to properly investigate. I really like the Vista Cruise. Spend a half hour taking apart the assembly when you get the bike and you'll see what you have to do -- easy as that.

EDIT to note: Maybe I'm confusing you LEOs. I was thinking that it was MotoSWATcop that was writing this, and I know he doesn't have his '06 yet. Seeing it's our Oregon trooper asking, I'm now thinking: don't you have your bike in garage?

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT to note: Maybe I'm confusing you LEOs. I was thinking that it was MotoSWATcop that was writing this, and I know he doesn't have his '06 yet. Seeing it's our Oregon trooper asking, I'm now thinking: don't you have your bike in garage?
Okay, now you're creepin' me out. Were you that guy standing in my yard at 3 AM a couple days ago? :lol: I had no idea someone was out there tracking LEOs... :ph34r: Yeah, I already have my 06 - got it in May. I truly was just wondering if anyone had done the mod successfully on an 06 yet.

Okay, now you're creepin' me out. Were you that guy standing in my yard at 3 AM a couple days ago? :lol: I had no idea someone was out there tracking LEOs... :ph34r:
Yeah, that was me, but since I already have an FJR and two Blackbirds, I was trying to add a new ST1300 to my stable. You mean THAT WASN'T MotoSWATcop's house??? I drove all the way to Oregon for a caper and there was no new ST in the garage??? :huh:

It IS a bit more dangerous stealing from LEOs, but you guys usually take the best care of your vehicles, so . . . if I'm lucky enough to time your shifts . . . :ph34r: ;)

Hey

This is what I did, no drilling required:

3.jpg

1.jpg

0.jpg

Just bend the supplied clip and mount it to the top screw of the throttle housing, with a small plastic washer between the clip and housing.

I activate the lock with the lock with my finger and off with my thumb. Doesn't get in the way of the starter button.

Bill

Hey This is what I did, no drilling required:

3.jpg

1.jpg

0.jpg

Just bend the supplied clip and mount it to the top screw of the throttle housing, with a small plastic washer between the clip and housing.

I activate the lock with the lock with my finger and off with my thumb. Doesn't get in the way of the starter button.

Bill
I'll take a look at that, Bill, right now. Thanks. (Leave it to the electrician to avoid drilling around wires... :D )

And thanks, keysrunner, for the 06 validation, too.

Yeah, I did exactly the same hole in my 06 a few months ago and there is no issue. The hardest part was doing the trim job on the grips. I use a brand new straight edge blade and trimmed the inside of the grip so that the vista cruise would work properly and the same for to take off a bit around the edges where it is too big. Just don't be in a big hurry and trim a little bit at a time until it fits beautifully. I am totally pleased and use it all of the time.

Good luck!!!t

Yeah, I did exactly the same hole in my 06 a few months ago and there is no issue. The hardest part was doing the trim job on the grips. I use a brand new straight edge blade and trimmed the inside of the grip so that the vista cruise would work properly and the same for to take off a bit around the edges where it is too big. Just don't be in a big hurry and trim a little bit at a time until it fits beautifully. I am totally pleased and use it all of the time.
Good luck!!!t
You know, I had it on there already w/o having it screwed in and I didn't see a need to trim the grips. I don't see how that will change once I drill and screw it down (tomorrow). Was there too much friction? I don't want to trim my grips.

Good luck!!!t
You know, I had it on there already w/o having it screwed in and I didn't see a need to trim the grips. I don't see how that will change once I drill and screw it down (tomorrow). Was there too much friction? I don't want to trim my grips.
Depends on the shoulder of the grips you're using. I cut mine down using a hook blade in a utility knife after tracing a line with a socket and red felt pen to follow. Then I used course emery cloth on a sanding block to smooth it out almost to the point of looking like it came that way.

Good luck!!!t
Depends on the shoulder of the grips you're using. I cut mine down using a hook blade in a utility knife after tracing a line with a socket and red felt pen to follow. Then I used course emery cloth on a sanding block to smooth it out almost to the point of looking like it came that way.
Hi -

Just ordered an FJR and am a new member and trying to catch up on what folks are doing to their bikes and saw this thread. Rich, did I see that you are looking for an ST1300? If you are, I am selling mine. I have an 05, with McCruise installed and a few other things. Let me know if you are interested. I am in Seattle and just joined this forum.

Hi -Just ordered an FJR and am a new member and trying to catch up on what folks are doing to their bikes and saw this thread. Rich, did I see that you are looking for an ST1300? If you are, I am selling mine. I have an 05, with McCruise installed and a few other things. Let me know if you are interested. I am in Seattle and just joined this forum.
No, sorry. That was just a joke in response to FJRpig's quip -- from another thread in which another LEO (MotoSWATCop and FJRPig are both LEOs) had mentioned buying one. I need to get down to two bikes, and actually have my '97 Blackbird up for sale right now. Welcome to the board; you'll love the FJR I believe.

OK, I'll consider myself initiated.......thanks for the reply. Nice to be here and I am reading as much as I can trying to learn more about this great bike. The ST1300 is also a great bike, but just not me. I like the looks of the FJR a ton more than the ST, the little bit more sportier aspects of the FJR, the slightly lighter part is the best part as I was having difficulty in any slight angles in parking lots getting that heavy ST up off the stand. (ugh) The FJR is just enough lighter and seems to have a lower center of gravity to make it much easier for me to get off the kick-stand. Yeah! Maggie