VOZZ Helmet, look, no chin strap!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not for me, since I get claustrophobic in a full-face, but at least I'd quit getting my gloves on before I realized I forgot to buckle the damn strap.
angry01.gif
Won't help, Mike. You'll still leave your key in your pocket.
wink.png

This seems a bit like a solution in search of a problem.

While it might be beneficial after an accident, if you just happen to land face up on your back like in the marketing material, how many times out of 100 does that happen?

Until this kind of helmet is commonplace I think you'd risk the paramedics not knowing how to get the damn thing off.
My thoughts exactly. EMTs are trained how to deal with helmets with straps. When they can't find a strap -- now what?
Don't the EMT's carry Jaws of Life??
Would that be like opening a can of beans with a crow bar?

Not sure I want Barney operating that equipment around my skull. Skulls crack like eggshells. I'd rather they just cut a strap and be done with it.

EDIT: Btw, this is one helmet Skooterg could really hurt himself with. Don't do it Greg!
Barney probably doesn't have jaws of life.

He'll see there's no strap to cut and look in the tool box.

Hmm...

Sawzall, chain saw, ax...

Decisions need to be made FAST...

:)

I'd have to actually try one on before I can take it seriously. I think the fit would have to be perfect in order to allow you to open your mouth while riding and still be snug enough that it doesn't rattle around on your head.

Again, I don't know what it is with people thinking rescue personnel carry their phones around with them and are willing to use them in life saving activities. I would not scan a QR Code with my phone.

Here's what people don't realize: IF I scan your helmet with my phone and you end up dying, your family is going to sue ME. The proper removal of the helmet will come into play and I'll be asked if I was TRAINED to remove the helmet. I'll answer, "No, I scanned the QR Code on the helmet for instructions and followed those." Then they'll ask how I scanned the code and I'll say I used my phone. Then they will subpoena my phone, and I'll have to turn it over. Two words: **** THAT!

Civil and defense attorneys are drooling to get into our phones. They'll look for anything to discredit us or make the cops or rescue personnel look like they intentionally harmed their client. I have a work phone, and I have not loaded a QR Code reader onto it. Why? Because I haven't seen the need. I DO NOT use my personal phone for work needs. Our PIO has had his personal phone subpoenaed TWICE for bullshit reasons, and he's not the only one. It has become a game of trying to protect our personal information, and I'm not going to utilize my phone to scan codes, or use my computer to load thumb drives. I sure as Hell will not follow Internet instructions to remove something I don't have any training with. AND, screws?? Yeah, cuz all EMTs carry their handy dandy screw driver in their pocket.

I can almost guarantee you that until these helmets become common, rescuers will cut them off, just like any other helmet.

It's really a cool idea, but it needs work, and is not in my book, worth almost $900. If chin straps bothered us so much, we would all be much more aware of when we forget to strap them. I'm betting we have all done that. If straps were making us all look like Roman soldiers, I could see the need, but that's not the case.

Anyone figure how they're gonna lock this helmet to their bike? Its gonna be cable through the chin-bar only.

I'd have to actually try one on before I can take it seriously. I think the fit would have to be perfect in order to allow you to open your mouth while riding and still be snug enough that it doesn't rattle around on your head.
Yes. That's my feeling about virtually all the gizmos on some new helmets. First and foremost it has to be a quality helmet that fits my head. If it's not that, all the rear-facing cameras, mirrors, Bluetooth, etc. won't make me want it.

I agree, and with the "chin cup" I think opening one's mouth may not be possible. Remains to be seen.

I agree with Fred in that it is a solution in search of a problem. Not addressed by the promoter is the fact that accidents happen in places that do not have data or cell phone coverage, making that QR code worthless. Also the complicated process of removing the helmet halves vs cutting a strap will kill sales from a safety aspect. I just don't see the point of it so, hopefully the inventor has some other ideas as I'm guessing this one won't be received very well.

Edit: The youtube link that xcsp provided didn't change my mind, but was beneficial, otherwise I'd not seen Top Fuel dirt drag bikes. Now that makes much more sense to me. Check out the last 10 seconds for the Piece' de Resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: The youtube link that xcsp provided didn't change my mind, but was beneficial, otherwise I'd not seen Top Fuel dirt drag bikes. Now that makes much more sense to me. Check out the last 10 seconds for the Piece' de Resistance. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQjRZ84nG4
Holy Crap!

YouTube Score!

Edit: The youtube link that xcsp provided didn't change my mind, but was beneficial, otherwise I'd not seen Top Fuel dirt drag bikes. Now that makes much more sense to me. Check out the last 10 seconds for the Piece' de Resistance.

Gnarly !! Good find John.

Who'll be the first to go Dark Side Plus ?

Yes. That's my feeling about virtually all the gizmos on some new helmets. First and foremost it has to be a quality helmet that fits my head. If it's not that, all the rear-facing cameras, mirrors, Bluetooth, etc. won't make me want it.
Speaking of gizmos, where are you supposed to mount your sena/scala comms?

Speaking of gizmos, where are you supposed to mount your sena/scala comms?
I found it somewhere on their web page. I think it said that it would be difficult but not to worry -- they're releasing a Bluetooth version soon ;)

"Ok Mr. Looneytunes, stay calm while we place you gingerly on top of this Saturn Rocket. We're going to need you to tip toe very gently to the starting line, taking great care not to touch that switch until we tell you to. Very nice and well done. Now, while you are cinching your hemmroid straight jacket tight, I will reach over and light this fuse. Whenever you and your maker have everything settled, go ahead and flip that switch. Good luck and enjoy your ride!!!!"

I thought most EMT's actually leave the helmet on unless something under the helmet needs addressed because of worry about any kind of neck injury. Am I wrong?

I thought most EMT's actually leave the helmet on unless something under the helmet needs addressed because of worry about any kind of neck injury. Am I wrong?
Say...blueface...not breathing, full face helmet.
My thoughts exactly. I can envision them desperately trying to figure out how to remove a helmet with no chin strap. Are they trained to look for QR codes? I don't know the answer to that, but based on Mr. 'Zilla's post above, I'd guess not.

And .... if so, how much longer would it take to look up the info, interpret it, and remove the helmet?

Say...blueface...not breathing, full face helmet.
That would fall under "Something under the helmet needs addressed."
biggrin.png

Of course, if they guy ain't breathing and the EMT has to scan a qr code and follow directions for dissassembly, that takes too damn long.

I have never seen someone transported in a helmet. First priority in emergency care: ABC...Airway, Breathing and Circulation; although, now, I think the B and C are switched. Either way, a clear airway has to be established, and I don't know if anyone considers that done with a helmet on someone's face.

Don't forget drinking tubes. Those will be a bitch to use with this helmet.

I have never seen someone transported in a helmet. First priority in emergency care: ABC...Airway, Breathing and Circulation; although, now, I think the B and C are switched. Either way, a clear airway has to be established, and I don't know if anyone considers that done with a helmet on someone's face.
Don't forget drinking tubes. Those will be a bitch to use with this helmet.
Well then, goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet.
biggrin.png

Wait...HRZ's comment is on the internet. Now I'm so confused!
biggrin.png