Vstrom Handguards on FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to get a set of handguards for my AE. Since there's no clutch lever assembly and not much room to mount anything else on the AE left bars, I'm wondering if it would even work. Has anyone tried to hack the Vstroms to mount on an AE?

I ordered some from the local Suz dealer, should be here any day now,

When this snow melts you are welcome to come down and hold them up to your clutchless side and cogitate. :huh:

I'm thinking about trying to get a set of handguards for my AE. Since there's no clutch lever assembly and not much room to mount anything else on the AE left bars, I'm wondering if it would even work. Has anyone tried to hack the Vstroms to mount on an AE?
Have you checked here? There are many other interesting and necessary items well written and collected by Warchiild.

Have you checked here? There are many other interesting and necessary items well written and collected by Warchiild.
Thanks Mike. Yep, BTRT. Nothing on the AE. No clutch perch on the YCCS to mount the guard to. Didn't know if someone already had a work around.

Same question was asked in this thread and never answered by an AE owner that it had been tried.

Having installed several on other models I opined from the picture that it would appear difficult at best. An AE owner still needs to be the first to tackle it.

Thanks Iggy. I remember that thread.

The control housing on the AE where there is normally a clutch perch is pretty empty. I cut mine open at the top to mount a RAM U bolt.

I'm wondering if I could cut the "perch mount" off the left guard and simply screw/bolt it to the plastic housing?

Guess I'll have to buy a pair and give it a go. :ph34r: :assassin: :ph34r: Time to get out the Ginsu and dremmel.

Just called Guru Glen at Desert Power Sports to get the whole "kit". I'll update in a couple weeks if I have any success. If not, they'll be FS in the classifieds. I think I can, I think I can....!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'll have to buy a pair and give it a go. :ph34r: :assassin: :ph34r: Time to get out the Ginsu and dremmel.
The part numbers on the FJRtech site are for the old style, I called the dealer and had him order me the new ones that hold on to the end of your grip. I think they were $54 sold as a pair. I PM'd the stock number to warchild, but didn't keep a copy of the PM. Maybe he still has it, or is just about to put those numbers on the FJRtech site. :rolleyes:

The part numbers on the FJRtech site are for the old style, I called the dealer and had him order me the new ones that hold on to the end of your grip. I think they were $54 sold as a pair. I PM'd the stock number to warchild, but didn't keep a copy of the PM. Maybe he still has it, or is just about to put those numbers on the FJRtech site. :rolleyes:
Thanks Tom. Hope they also send you the proper hardware. That's why I went to Sunnyside, now Desert Power Sports, and talked to Glenn. They sell it all as a package. Just ask for the 2nd generation Vstrom handguard "kit". Real simple to work with them... they are FJR experts.

Thanks Iggy. I remember that thread.
The control housing on the AE where there is normally a clutch perch is pretty empty. I cut mine open at the top to mount a RAM U bolt.

I'm wondering if I could cut the "perch mount" off the left guard and simply screw/bolt it to the plastic housing?

Just called Guru Glen at Desert Power Sports to get the whole "kit". I'll update in a couple weeks if I have any success. If not, they'll be FS in the classifieds. I think I can, I think I can....!
Hmmm. You're trying to take one for the team. Good for you!

If you're interested....I have a set of Gen 1 handguards (seen some battle use) and set of hardware (including the tricky bolts that I think work for both generation guards) I might be willing to donate to you for your project. If it ends up working you could keep the bolts and upgrade the handguards at your leisure....and of course share your results with the board.

I'd hate to undo a sale with Guru Glen, but you're a great candidate to tackle these AE handguards. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks Mike. Yep, BTRT. Nothing on the AE. No clutch perch on the YCCS to mount the guard to. Didn't know if someone already had a work around.
Doh! I wan't thinking. Okay, he said while putting on his thinking cap....don't the BMW GS handguards mount to the handlebar rather than the clutch/brake pivots? I had some on my '04 the first Winter then gave them to a friend in Fairfield when I changed to the V-Strom style.

All the GS guards are not the same. IIRC, the newer version uses a different mounting, so it would take an older iteration (3 or 4 years). I seem to remember using a "zip-tie" around the bar and I had to slightly modify the bar-weight end or use a washer to attach them "outside" the bar end. Its been 3 years a 2 bikes ago.

It may be possible to use a generic dirt-bike hand guard.

Doh! I wan't thinking. Okay, he said while putting on his thinking cap....don't the BMW GS handguards mount to the handlebar rather than the clutch/brake pivots? I had some on my '04 the first Winter then gave them to a friend in Fairfield when I changed to the V-Strom style.

All the GS guards are not the same. IIRC, the newer version uses a different mounting, so it would take an older iteration (3 or 4 years). I seem to remember using a "zip-tie" around the bar and I had to slightly modify the bar-weight end or use a washer to attach them "outside" the bar end. Its been 3 years a 2 bikes ago.

It may be possible to use a generic dirt-bike hand guard.
Mike, thanks for those tips. I was wondering about a completely different brand. Problem is same/similar... there's just about NO bar to hook onto, either.

I DO have a RAM U BOLT mount on my left bar directly over the shifter button housing. I'm hoping I can hook to that. I'll know in a couple weeks.

RAMUBoltBack.JPG

I always thought the first gen handguards looked clunky. Smitty has the 2nd gen guard on his '05, and they look pretty sweet. Even with heated grips and Widder gloves on, my fingers freeze sub 40 degrees. I gotta do something if I'm going to ride this winter. Looks like the temps aren't going to be as moderate as the last couple years. It's really like winter out there!

Thanks Tom. Hope they also send you the proper hardware. That's why I went to Sunnyside, now Desert Power Sports, and talked to Glenn. They sell it all as a package. Just ask for the 2nd generation Vstrom handguard "kit". Real simple to work with them... they are FJR experts.
Sunnydale "kit". Hmm.. Never heard of that, maybe it's not too late to change horses. Or, maybe he'll sell just the kit, sans plastic. :huh:

Or, maybe he'll sell just the kit, sans plastic. :huh:
Hence the annoited title Guru Glenn. He's able to read minds over the telephone you know. You may think you're calling him up to order something, but he's already typed in the part numbers and ordered before you called. When he's talking to you...he's actually just being polite.

The typing you hear is him actually putting in the next callers order. ;)

...it's not a formal kit by the manufacturer. Glenn just gets so many calls from us FJR folks on these V-Strom handguards that they have the part numbers gathered together out of convenience.

I still like to imagine there's some Suzuki bean counter or engineer in Japan totally scratching his head with all these V-Strom part orders, "Whut da fruck?"