Want your Avon Azaro's Back?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
While at the Long Beach show yesterday, Fairlaner and I happened by the Avon tire rack that was manned by a real, live Avon rep. As I was pawing at the Azaro sample tire he asked me how I liked the Storm v. Azaro, and I told him about the sucky mileage of the rear compared to the Azaro and lamented the Azaro's passing for our platform.

Well, I don't know if it's true or not, but according to this dude, Avon might be considering bringing this model back for our size requirements. He eagerly advised us that they have their marketing meeting in February and that he would happily pass along my/our hopes for that tires return.

Might be a good time to send a note to Avon: [email protected]

Phuckin-A. As I just hit the wear indicators on my last set of Azaros today this is VERY interesting news. I guess I'll throw on a set of Storms in the mean time.

Thanks for the scoop, TWN

Great suggestion!

I just sent an email message to Avon informing them that I'd been extremely satisified with the AV45 ST 120/70ZR-17 and AV46 ST 180/55ZR-17 and was not very pleased with the longevity of the Storms that are currently mounted on my FJR1300. I also mentioned that I'd recently mounted Michelin Pilot Roads on my CBR1100XX and would probably do the same since the Azaro is no longer available from them.

When Avon replaced my defective Storm front tire, my dealer tried to get them to replace the rear because of excessive wear. While they were unable to replace the rear, they did tell the dealer that the Storm wouldn't last anywhere near as long as the Azaros had.

Very interesting!

I love the Avon Storm grip - it is better than the Azaro for me - but the price in abbreviated treadlife doesn't necessarily make up for it . At least not here in the dry High Desert. if I lived in monsoon Seattle, maybe... but prolly not even then.

I just put on a new (2nd) Storm rear this weekend. When I am done with this tire I think I am done with Storms. To many issues with the fronts as well.

While they handle well, mileage is avg for me, they are a PAIN to balance. This is the hardest tire I've done. I can get 3 sides of the tire to balance perfect, then the heavy spot moves.

Before you ask, I balance my rims, but that offers no help as the storm has no "spot" mark

Last edited by a moderator:
AVON- "You have mail!"

Thanks for the head's up....it certainly cant hurt to remind them of the old Azaro.

Hmmmm..............very interesting. Well done gerbil-boy.

Of course, thanks to the powers of ebay, I still have two unmolested Azarro rears, and two unmolested Azarro fronts waiting to replace my current set of Azarros which are about half way gone.

But I will send that email, as I will need new shoes in about a year!

Hmmmm..............very interesting. Well done gerbil-boy.
Of course, thanks to the powers of ebay, I still have two unmolested Azarro rears, and two unmolested Azarro fronts waiting to replace my current set of Azarros which are about half way gone.

But I will send that email, as I will need new shoes in about a year!

Hey, anything I can do to help, Dumbo. ;)

If they can get their quality control up to snuff I might stay with Avon. There seems to be so much variation from one tire to the next that I don't know if I prefer the Storm or the Azaro.

I ran thru several sets of Azaros. Loved 'em. The Storm rear is fine with me... but that front... NEVER AGAIN!

I wouldn't mind seeing them back. I might be pursuaded to try them again.

I sent my e-mail off to Avon. I loved the Azaros. The new Storms are OK but I had troubles with my first set and they took care of my problem but right now I'm not sure if I'll buy the Storms again. Looking at the new PR 2's.

Tom

email sent. This one has 7500 miles on it. 99% of that was slab, coast to coast and back. I thought it had acceptable grip(still does), this kind of mileage is awesome. I need Avon to manufactor this tire again.

IMGP0771.jpg

Here's the reply that I received from Avon today:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Avon Tyres. We apologize for your dissatisfaction with the Storms. The Azaro did have an amazing life expectancy, more so than almost all of the competition. Avon wanted to make our sport touring tire more aggressive with a softer tread compound to increase grip and we have noticed in doing so that the tire would not last as long on the bigger bikes as compared to smaller bikes around 1000cc. We will not be producing the Azaro in those sizes, however we will be making a reinforced Storm in certain sizes on bigger bikes to help with stability and hopefully add mileage.

Jesse Peril

Avon Customer Service

c/o Hoppe & Assoc, Inc.

PO. Box 5112

Lynnwood, WA 98036 USA

Tel: 800-624-7470, Fax: 425-771-4246

Here's the reply that I received from Avon today:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Avon Tyres. We apologize for your dissatisfaction with the Storms. The Azaro did have an amazing life expectancy, more so than almost all of the competition. Avon wanted to make our sport touring tire more aggressive with a softer tread compound to increase grip and we have noticed in doing so that the tire would not last as long on the bigger bikes as compared to smaller bikes around 1000cc. We will not be producing the Azaro in those sizes, however we will be making a reinforced Storm in certain sizes on bigger bikes to help with stability and hopefully add mileage.

Jesse Peril

Avon Customer Service

c/o Hoppe & Assoc, Inc.

PO. Box 5112

Lynnwood, WA 98036 USA

Tel: 800-624-7470, Fax: 425-771-4246

Interesting. I'd still keep sending in polite requests... it won't take much to de-mothball the molds. ;)

While at the Long Beach show yesterday, Fairlaner and I happened by the Avon tire rack that was manned by a real, live Avon rep. As I was pawing at the Azaro sample tire he asked me how I liked the Storm v. Azaro, and I told him about the sucky mileage of the rear compared to the Azaro and lamented the Azaro's passing for our platform.
Well, I don't know if it's true or not, but according to this dude, Avon might be considering bringing this model back for our size requirements. He eagerly advised us that they have their marketing meeting in February and that he would happily pass along my/our hopes for that tires return.

Might be a good time to send a note to Avon: [email protected]
I also talked to an Avon Rep at the International Cycle show in Ft. Worth. He told me to email him and he would send it to the powers that be. That's been about three weeks ago and I've not had a reply. Reading the posts on this thread makes me think we may not get what we really want. I also like the Storms, but not near as well as the two sets of Azaros I went through. How much trouble could it be to start manufacturing that popular size again? I can't imagine it being any harder than re-engineering the Storms. :unsure:

GP