warm digits options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great point. When it is cold enough that you would need to use heated gloves, the alternative equivalent winter weight (non-e) gloves are big, heavy, and clumsy with so much insulation. I have a pair and keep those ones stashed in the side-bags just in case the 'lectric ones were to go tits up. The heated gloves are much more supple, not much worse than a summer glove really. So far, no need to ever break the backups out (knock on wood), but I'm an old dog, so I just stick with my same old tricks. ;)

I run the suzi guards and aftermarket under grip pads with a variable temp control. They work fine, tips of my fingers still get cold, but I don't wear heavy gloves. I wouldn't waste my money on a variable switch, I think hi/lo switching is more than sufficient. I find myself running them on high to get the grips warm, then drop to lower setting to maintain.

One mod I am going to do, is get a second throttle grip as they are thinner. The wrap the clutch handlebar shaft in something like a sch10 pvc to get to the diameter of the throttle shaft. Install the heated grip over that and then the thinner throttle grip. That should insulate the heater from the steel bar a bit like on the throttle side, and I can remove the resistor on the throttle side and heat up time should be quicker all around.

https://www.hippohands.com/

A little pricey but I think that they are the best out there. I don't have heated grips on the FJR but use a good quality winter glove from Aerostich and the V-Strom guards.

For winter riding on the KLR, use the same gloves but also have heated grips. I need the insulated bar muffs on really cold days to assist the heated grips.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received a review (with the regular email newsletter from the AMA) for the new "VentureHeat" brand heated gear. They have some gloves available that have a very nice feature, the 3-stage heat controller is built right into the gloves!

VentureHeat 12V Heated Motorcycle Gloves

bx125.jpg

They seem to be pretty well designed and constructed, of course without seeing them in person it's hard to say for sure. I do like that the coax connector is secured to the gloves gauntlet vs. the pigtail that most other gloves have. This will cut down on the extra wire you'll have to find a place to hide away.

These might be worth checking out if you don't have any heated gear yet, as you wouldn't have to buy the separate heatroller which makes the gloves price of $160 a pretty good value compared to other glove alternatives.

Does the Mama Yama kit include a throttle tube? If I wanted to add a G2 throttle tube can you with the Yamaha kit?

Aerostitch has heated grip kits starting at $32. I'm using the cheaper ones and they are effective down to 32 degrees. Installation is as simple as changing the battery, plus they are removable. An essential for riding in Minnessota

I found the Aerostitch grips to provide more heat than position 2 on my '97RT.

Aerostitch has heated grip kits starting at $32. I'm using the cheaper ones and they are effective down to 32 degrees. Installation is as simple as changing the battery, plus they are removable. An essential for riding in MinnessotaI found the Aerostitch grips to provide more heat than position 2 on my '97RT.
I assume you mean the over wrap ones? Those are a pretty slick (and inexpensive) solution as well. I'm surprised that more mfgs. don't offer the same option.

For a short jaunt I don't bother with anything more than a good cold weather jacket and gloves. But, if it's seriously cold and and an all day ride then IMO nothing less than heated gloves and jacket liner will do. At some point wicked cold will seep through non-heated gear so it really depends on how long you're going to be out in it.

Believe it or not it does get cold here in Calif. (San Jose). It was 30 deg many mornings for weeks on end in Feb. I have the suzi guards, aftermarket under grips, gerbing jacket liner and gerbing gloves. Takes me seconds to plug everything in with my controller mounted to the tank bag. The gloves are only heated from the back so the grips add another level of comfort. I have the quilted liner removed from a firstgear mesh jacket and the heated liner takes it's place. I love the set-up and have ridden down to 25deg with it and been very comfortable. I also wear unlined over pants when it gets below 40. I don't notice the wires at all. I'm 6'3" and ride with the screen down with this set=up.

Mark