WARRANTY VOID - Final Drive Gear Oil?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300

FJR Pilot
Reaction score
I was at my local Yamaha dealer today picking up a couple of items that I need for this weekend and when I mentioned I was changing the final drive oil my dealer told me that he just sold his only bottle of the Yamaha Gear Oil. I told him that was okay because I was using Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 and he told me that it would void my warranty. I asked him what he was talking about and he told me the gear oil in the bike could only be replaced with the specific Yamaha oil mentioned in the service manual. He told me if I had ANY problems after using ANY other oil, Yamaha would not cover the repair under warranty.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I still plan to change the oil this weekend and use the Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90, but I was just curious if anyone had heard of this Yamaha warranty issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. And you have to use the official Yamaha wrench to remove the drain plug as well.

I was at my local Yamaha dealer today picking up a couple of items that I need for this weekend and when I mentioned I was changing the final drive oil my dealer told me that he just sold his only bottle of the Yamaha Gear Oil. I told him that was okay because I was using Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 and he told me that it would void my warranty. I asked him what he was talking about and he told me the gear oil in the bike could only be replaced with the specific Yamaha oil mentioned in the service manual. He told me if I had ANY problems after using ANY other oil, Yamaha would not cover the repair under warranty.
Has anyone else heard of this?

I still plan to change the oil thiks weekend and use the Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90, but I was just curious if anyone had heard of this Yamaha warranty issue.

Thanks!
Jeeze.... your dealer is a tool and is full of horsecock.

You can use Mobil 1 75-90 just fine.

Beyond stupid.

After my 600 mile inspection MY dealer told me (when I asked) that he hadn't changed the rear drive oil and that it didn't need to be done until 8000 miles - I guess he never read the book. He didn;t sync the throttle bodies either - essentially all he did was an oil change and tightening of bolts.

I drained and refilled when I got home with Castrol Hypoid 80-90 weight. It took all of 10 minutes. I also did the sync (I have a Morgan Carbtune from my previous steed).

My paperwork says '1K (kilometers) inspection' - MY warranty is good to go,. Hopefully, because I did the deed, I won't NEED the warranty.

Dealers (in general) are idiots.

+1 to the above....

I do believe it's ILLEGAL to require someone to use a particular place, material, or technician for regular maintenance in order to maintain a warranty. Otherwise places like Jiffylube would never have existed. Like Dale said... tool and horsecock... B)

If you really want to push it, ask him to show you the wording in your warranty where it says exactly that...

You're right on Groo, a specific act (Congressional I believe) that precluded manufacturers from mandating such requirements as using their o.e.m. filters and the like to keep warranty coverage valid. Jestal will probably remember the name of the specific legislation.

horsecrap.gif

Yup, magnison-moss states, if memory serves, that if a mufacturer requires a specific brand of a commonly available product,[ oil,grease, lube, filters etc.], that they must provide that product to us at NO charge !

Ghost

1. Get your dealer to put this in writing.

2. Retain a decent lawyer.

3. Invite all your friends from the FJR list to the grand reopening of your very own Yamaha dealership...

FJR1300 said...
I have... my new dealer is ME. I am now doing ALL my own maintenance or at least I will be after one of the fine members on this board shows me how-to do some things this weekend.

You mean after you come down this weekend, I won't be your new service tech??? O did I tell you, due to insurance regulation.... only service personel allowed in the service area... :p :p Smitty

Get a copy of the Magnussen-Moss act, take it with you to that dealer and ask for your free oil and filters. I'd also note that they didn't do the work required by the Yamaha book and ask them for the address to Yamaha, North America so you will know who to contact about specific warranty requirements knowingly and intentionally not performed.

Or....just do what you did and find a "good" dealer.